Author Topic: Some knives I use  (Read 2084 times)

Offline Huntschool

Some knives I use
« on: October 12, 2018, 06:48:38 AM »
Here are three knives I use regularly.

This is a rifleman's knife made by Jim Rubley of IN.  It is  an early knife made in the mode of highly qualified blacksmith Eastern style, filed steel bolster.:

This is another Rubley knife but mad as a more backwoods blacksmith rifleman's knife. Again, Eastern with a forged guard etc:

This knife was made for me as a gift from an AMM member.  It is a bit more Western but still functions as a rifleman's knife.  Its made from a truck spring.

And this is my everyday inside the belt guy forged by Joe Keesler.  The bright spot is a quarter:

Enjoy

« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 06:49:47 AM by Huntschool »
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline snapper

Re: Some knives I use
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 02:58:49 PM »
I really like the first three.  Very nice.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 04:26:31 PM »
Nice knives!  My favorite is the first one, though they all look very well made.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 07:43:34 PM »
I like the second one the best 8) - the last one does nothing for me  :(- each to their own taste ::)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 02:00:25 AM »
Knife number 2 is really cool.

They all are really nice.

Offline WH1

• Capall Mara Forge Website
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 04:29:41 AM »
I like the lines on number 1

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 07:01:16 AM »
Thanks guys......

#1 and #2 were made to order by a very competent smith who no longer is producing knives.  His historical accuracy was always spot on.  The #2 knife was ordered to be a more primitive knife done by a back country smith as a rifleman's knife.  I think Joe did a fine job on it.

#3 Knife was a present from a dear friend of a more Western style.  Its a heavy use knife for sure

#4 Was made by one of the better known blacksmiths around.  Joe is well known for that style forging on his knives and is listed in several of the blacksmith journals and books as such.  That knife has seen much duty with me.  It holds a razor edge with just the occasional touch up from either a high quality stone or fine diamond flat.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 06:03:46 PM »
#4 is very like the Shrade Sharpfinger knife they sold for many years. It's a very handy hunting companion. Since Shrade was sold, I'm not sure if it is still made.

Steve
Steve Skillman