Author Topic: Cased Longrifle  (Read 4335 times)

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
Cased Longrifle
« on: October 12, 2018, 04:38:35 PM »
For those interested - The Cased Longrifle made for Douglas L. Joy, in 1983, is now posted on Cowan's Auction web site.  Auction to occur on Oct. 30, 2018.  The rifle and it's story was featured in the August issue of "Muzzle Blasts".  Thanks for looking,     Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Cased Longrifle
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 04:14:37 PM »
You ought to put this in the "for sale" section, probably get more attention there. I know when I want to sell a gun that's where I put mine.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 02:52:06 PM »
Mike,

It would not be appropriate to list the gun in the For Sale section.  Hugh did not post this as an attempt to sell the gun on ALR.  He does not own it and has no financial stake in its sale.  I believe he mentioned the auction site because he thought it was a good way for folks to see some professionally taken photos of the gun.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 03:08:08 PM »
OK, got it.  ;)
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 03:36:46 AM »
Tried to do a search for it - got no where. Oh well.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline snapper

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 04:09:41 AM »
I got my Cowan's colored catalog in the mail this week.  Nice lay out.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 10:59:56 PM »
Somebody missed a bargain. Looks like it didn't make it past the opening bid.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 08:39:36 PM »
Really nice wire work. The incised carving is really rough for a "high-end" gun.
Taylor could show you how to do that, Hugh.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Blacksmoke

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 05:21:52 AM »
The "Doug Joy " rifle actually DID make it past the opening bid which started at $ 30,000 and closed at $ 32,500.00 at which time the lot was pulled.  Apparently the 'reserve' was not met. What happens next I am not sure.   Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 02:41:39 PM »
 The workmanship in that rifle and casing is first-rate. I’d like to know how many hours it would take to produce something like that?   The closer you look at it the better it gets   
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Blacksmoke

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 04:32:35 PM »
Shreckmeister: Thanks for the comment- The entire project took slightly more than 3 yrs. of my bench time and a divorce.
For those who have never seen it in person, Cowan's photos do NOT do it justice! For instance the carving cannot be properly judged form the poor photography.  Up close and personal the project is better viewed an appreciated.   Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 04:43:57 PM »
The "Doug Joy " rifle actually DID make it past the opening bid which started at $ 30,000 and closed at $ 32,500.00 at which time the lot was pulled.  Apparently the 'reserve' was not met. What happens next I am not sure.   Hugh Toenjes
Auction houses must all do things differently. I worked for the largest gun auction house in the world for a short time and have attended and bought guns at many of their auctions. The auctioneer generally starts calling a number where he/she thinks the bidding will take off and the auction goes on from there. I have found that such a high starting bid will put bidders off, they just aren't interested in paying the starting price 30K is a big pill to swallow for a starting bid. You have to get them bidding then the end price will actually be way higher....you have to create interest. I'd start it at something like 5K and let 'er rip, you'd stand a better chance of surpassing the reserve. Some owners put on a reserve, some don't. A reserve in my opinion is a good idea on high end items for a variety of reasons. I'd go with a bigger/better auction house or consider a smaller reserve or the owner may have it for quite some time. Also keep in mind, the Contemporary market is pretty funky right now. There are several large high end custom muzzleloading gun collections on the market right now that have flooded the market and driven down prices. Call Chambers and talk to him about the guns he's selling and what he's able to get for them. The secondary market is pretty soft right now, good for the buyer, stinks for the seller. Right now in the current market a 30k+ gun, no matter what the quality, is going to be a very hard sell. At the recent CLA I could have had a bundle of Brennans , Martins, Silvers, Bivens, you name it for for 30K+. Right now, it's a buyer's market. Sorta sucks, since I sell guns for a living.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 06:41:23 PM »
Shreckmeister: Thanks for the comment- The entire project took slightly more than 3 yrs. of my bench time and a divorce.
For those who have never seen it in person, Cowan's photos do NOT do it justice! For instance the carving cannot be properly judged form the poor photography.  Up close and personal the project is better viewed an appreciated.   Hugh Toenjes

I guess you paid a higher price than the buyer.  3 years is a long time to work on something and let it go.  I guess you know how Michelangelo felt.  No wonder he
was bitter.  On the positive, you leave something behind that says you were here other than the kids.  Honestly, I usually only like the contemporary pieces that look
like they are old and represent a specific maker recreation, but this rifle is one of few that inspires.  Others by Wallace and Brennan, so you are in good company.
   So what happened to Mr. Joy?  I Wonder if he descended from Pittsburgh maker Andrew Joy.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Blacksmoke

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 04:50:32 PM »
Mr. Shreckmeister:  The entire story about Mr. Joy and the rifle that I made for him back in the early 1980's is published in the August issue of Muzzle Blasts( Volume 79-No.12). If you do not have a copy I am sure the NMLRA will be happy to send you a complimentary issue.  It is worth the effort to obtain a copy as the story is very interesting.   Hugh Toenjes 
H.T.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2018, 06:42:05 PM »
 First I agree with Mike any high end item is a buyer's nightmare.
Do I invest that much money at a risk of not getting a fair chance at getting my investment back or do I take a chance at a great loss.
  As always it's a buyer beware option. None the less it is one outstanding piece of craftsmanship.     Oldtravler

Offline Blacksmoke

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2018, 05:51:42 AM »
Oldtraveler61:  I appreciate your observance and comment.  It was difficult to advise the inheritor of this cased rifle which way to proceed.  Anyway the Oct. auction is over and I have not been advised as to the plans for the cased set going forward.           Hugh Toenjes
H.T.