Author Topic: David Price Swivel Breach Rifle kits...  (Read 5936 times)

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
David Price Swivel Breach Rifle kits...
« on: October 12, 2018, 05:25:08 PM »
I have the pleasure of knowing David Price for a number of years now, and I keep bugging him on making another Swivel Breach rifle kit for me to build.  He made kits for years, but slowed down, and I was on the tail end of that. Well, David took me under his wing, and as his apprentice, We said "Let's fire this back up" and we both agreed to see what we could do together to make another run. I'll let David chime in, but the horse has left the barn and we are making significant progress. New technology, updated swivel actions, new barrels, and the finest Maple wood you can get your hands on.

These are kits, they will need building and work to finish, but they are very refined and "updated". I'm looking forward to finally building one (See what happens when you are persistent???)

Some images of the progress and the final results (David's work) , and again, I'll let David jump in and chat a little more about this next generation set of kits....

Cheers, Jon

Some of David's incredible work....

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: David Price Swivel Breach Rifle kits...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 05:37:28 PM »
Wow!! Great job Jon! And David always does nice work!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Adrie luke

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 05:52:13 PM »
Jon,

I heard from David that you make the stocks for him.
I think that this is a good choice, it gives David more time.
I hope to see this picture again.

Adrie

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 05:52:45 PM »
Hi Jon,
This is great and I hope you two can continue for a long time.  Dave's are the best engineered swivels out there in my opinion.  Not to mention, his work is exquisite.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 06:05:11 PM »
Thanks all, and Adrie - That is an excellent picture!!!! - Thank you for sharing - that was back when David's shop was a little cleaner :) - I'm just proud to be a part of this - Much more to follow....

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 06:17:59 PM »
I think there will be enough interest in on e of those kits that you guys can stay busy for some time. I wanted one in 50 cal. in 2010 but all David had left at the time was 54s. Looking forward to your offerings and good luck with the big step.

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 07:00:07 PM »
A swivel breech is on my want to build list. This is very motivating!
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline Percy

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 07:15:47 PM »
You have my attention now, I'll keep watching for more info.

Percy

Davemuzz

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 07:24:48 PM »
Sign me up and let me know!!  I am serious!! 8)

ltdann

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 07:54:01 PM »
sign me up.  Got a target price in mind?

Offline Ecramer

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 07:54:37 PM »
I lurk more than I comment here, but I'm interested (always assuming I have the cash). Wow, are those beautiful!

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 09:39:01 PM »
Sign me up too. Those look nice.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2018, 02:57:02 AM »
Jon,
I'm not sure who is the master and who is the apprentice here.  I certainly would not have attempted a project like this without your encouragement,  advise,  and help.

About eighteen months ago I used the last of the 128 barrels that Green Mt. custom built for me.  Green Mt Barrel Co. requires an order of a minium of 100 barrels or more for an order of custom built barrels.  At eighty years old I didn't think I was capable of building  another fifty swivel breach rifles. At that point I figured I had built my last swivel breach rifle.

Over the next few months I got several requests for  swivel breach rifles so I thought,  If Green Mt.  would agree to do fifty barrels for me, that would only be twenty five rifles and I could probably handle that.  I then notofied everyone that wanted one that i would put them on a waiting list WITH NO DEPOSIT,   and if I could get  fifty barrels I would do another twenty five rifles.    I have the barrels and all the other parts that I need now.   Kingsbury Arms is going to shape all the stocks on a C&C machine, another friend is going to do all the machining of the metal parts  also on a C&C machine,  and my son and I will do all the other work and assembling of the parts.  I expect to have some ready to ship in November.  I will post some pictures when I get the first one assembled.

At the present time there are  31 people on the waiting list.  Some have been on the list for over a year so I expect to loose some of them.  I also ended up with enough parts for 28 rifles.

David Price

Offline Obi2winky

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2018, 04:34:01 AM »
This is the rifle that got me even thinking about building my own rifle! I’ve never built one so it’s probsbly too advanced for me at the moment, but I definitely have my eyes set on owning one! I got to get a tour today at Kingsbury Armory (thank you so much Jon!) and I’m definitely encouraged.

Offline rtadams

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2018, 04:42:50 AM »
10-12-18

David,

Please expand on the "Updated Swivel Actions" -- What's different from the original design or concept etc.?

Best Regards,

Robert

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2018, 05:08:57 AM »
This is the rifle that got me even thinking about building my own rifle! I’ve never built one so it’s probsbly too advanced for me at the moment, but I definitely have my eyes set on owning one! I got to get a tour today at Kingsbury Armory (thank you so much Jon!) and I’m definitely encouraged.

Proud to meet you and have you visit my shop.... thank you and I know you will be a fantastic member of this forum and a very skilled contributor to this group. I’m here if you need anything.

n stephenson

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2018, 04:00:43 PM »
Congrats on making this project happen!   I have two questions . Will these ever be available without the buttstock?  I would like to build one , but more like an "Antes" profile stock?   Is there room to reshape the lock plate , and miss the internal parts , I`m not too fond of the "humped" appearance of the lock plate . Please! don`t take this as negative criticism , just a question! Is the large lock and counter plate needed because of the thumb bar release versus the more streamlined plates found on those with a trigger guard type release. As stated , I`m not being critical , just seeking info.  I have wanted to build one of these for years. Is this design copied from an original ? if so , which one?     All of the old ones I have got to handle had the trigger guard style release. I am interested and only ask these things in pursuit of info. I understand that there has to be room for the mainspring behind the cock , so the plate HAS to be some bigger than normal, I just wonder how much , if any of the plate could be reshaped/ removed. Does the larger plate extending further to toward the wrist , make it more of a reach to get your finger on the trigger , because that area of wood , cant be removed  because of the plate being there. I try to really swoop that area down , so that the trigger finger , can lay comfortably down below the lower edge of the lock, another reason not to have wide lock panels .   Thanks Nate
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 04:11:42 PM by n stephenson »

Davemuzz

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2018, 05:23:01 PM »
I`m not too fond of the "humped" appearance.....

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2018, 06:58:09 PM »
What kind of price are we talking here for the kit?
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2018, 07:15:28 PM »
rtadams
Nothing about the design, shape, or parts have changed. The only difference  is  all the hardware is pre inlet on a C&c  machine.  The lock, release plate, tang, trigger plate, butt plate, thimbles, and nose cap are all pre inlet.
The dove tails for the sights will be done, and the holes that go between the barrels for the screws that hold the wood barrel panels will be done.  The sliding wood patch boxes will be all cut in.   The stock will be very close to the finished shape, requiring only light rasping and sandpaper.   Barrels are available either smooth or rifled, in 54 cal. only.  These rifles finish up weighing only eight and a half lbs.  I will try and get a picture of one posted here on ALR in the next couple of days.  I will also be doing a video showing finishing the complete rifle on my web site.
This really is not  a kit, it is more like an unfinished rifle.

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2018, 07:19:28 PM »
P.W Berkuta,

The price is $3000.00 which includes everything including screws and sights.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2018, 10:43:39 PM »
Thanks for the info Dave. Once I pay off my very recent hip replacement surgery I will see what kind of monies I have left over.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2018, 11:36:02 PM »
n stelphenson

I made the lock plate as small as I could and still get all the working parts on it.  The release side plate of course had to match the lock plate.   When I was designing the swivel plates and the locking mechanism I tried using the trigger guard for the locking release.  Just like all the other swivel breach rifles  I tried that used the trigger guard for the release, it rattled  and never really locked up tight.  My release is not a copy of  an original, but it was recommended to me by Dave Waters who also builds swivel breach actions.  Thank you Dave !

I am not sure of what you are referring to as the humped appearance .  Actually the stock is quite straight as it comes off the swivel plate and must be,  because there is a threaded rod that goes into the stock and pulls everything together.  After inletting the lock mortise, the release mortise, the tang, and the triggers there is not much wood left.  The lock and side plate are bolted together and the tang and trigger plate are bolted together making this area very strong.  There is still plenty of wood that can be removed to slim it down a bit.

I am attaching some pictures that should answer most of your questions.  If not please ask.

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2018, 11:39:50 PM »
Sorry some of the pictures are upside down.  If someone can turn them right side up I would apreciate it. 

David Price

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2018, 11:49:43 PM »
Hi David,
I'm pleased that you are doing well. I'm always impressed with your projects, and of course your finished, carved guns.  I hope I am as well when I reach 80. My compliments.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.