Author Topic: David Price Swivel Breach Rifle kits...  (Read 5893 times)

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
Re: David Price Swivel Breach Rifle kits...
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2018, 11:59:08 PM »
Larry,

Thank you for the kind words. 

Davemuzz

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2018, 12:02:37 AM »
When you consider that a Kibler kit coast about $1,000.....and is all CNC machined, requires some cleanup, sanding, finishing etc., the $3,000 cost of David Price's swivel rifle "kit" is not unreasonable. Considering the metal and machine work that is needed to have a quality swivel breech....and have it last, it's like purchasing two Kibler kits.....but with an almost "modern like" revolver quality to the swivel breech.....and not to mention essentially two locks and for sure two barrels that are already properly connected.

MHO

Dave

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2018, 12:10:33 AM »
Nate,
I had intended to include the picture of the inside of the lock so I am attaching it now.

This is the wood that I am going to use.  I have been saving this wood for thirty years just for a special project.

I cut the barrel panels out of the same piece of wood so that the grain and stripe will match on both sides of the barrels.

n stephenson

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2018, 01:09:28 AM »
David, Thank you for the pics , and the information . Very nice parts ! Thank you.   Nate

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2018, 03:50:41 PM »
Absolutely beautiful work, David.  I learned a bunch from your posts and pictures.  Six months ago I had never heard of a "swivel rifle", so the whole post has been educational for me.

Both the metal work and the wood work are great, and that piece that you saved for 30 years is exceptionally nice.

Thanks so much for showing all those good things.  Perhaps there will be a swivel rifle in my future.  Not a lot younger than you (73 now), but like you, still enjoying my rifle building.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2018, 03:53:52 PM »
That lock looks good to me.Simple and well made and probably
very durable.

Bob Roller

Offline snapper

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2018, 11:30:17 PM »
I like it.  Now you got me wondering if I need one.

What do you thing a finished rifle will weigh?

Thanks

fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2018, 05:38:01 AM »
Fleener, 8 and 1/2 lbs.
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2018, 02:02:18 PM »
Snapper,

Larry is exactly right, eight and a half lbs. with 32 inch barrels.  My own hunting rifle has 28 inch barrels and weighs just under eight lbs. 

David Price

Offline snapper

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2018, 02:13:39 PM »
Thanks for the weight reply.  I apologize, I went back and read through the messages again and see that the weight was already stated.

thanks

Fleener

My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2018, 03:22:18 PM »
Art,
I may have shot the hunting rifle with the 28” barrels that David mentioned. This story speaks to David’s generosity.  At a Spring Shoot in Friendship, David, Steve Chapman, and I were setting up a Woodswalk.  David asked me what rifle I would be using.  I described my “old puke” to him.

He replied, “Would you like to shoot my hunting rifle?”

I was stunned.  After a brief pause I said, “Well, #ell yes!”

After finding the caliber, I mentioned that I needed to get the correct size ball.  David said I didn’t need to do that; he would bring everything I would need.

So I shot the Woodswalk with the finest carved rifle I ever held – let alone fired. I don’t remember my score that year. That was the last thing on my mind. But I will remember that Woodswalk and David’s generosity.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2018, 04:26:35 PM »
I rotated the pictures for you.

Offline vtmtnman

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2018, 09:19:44 PM »
I've been on the list for almost a year now and am chomping at the bit to get back so I can take a trip to David's shop.So good to hear news about all this.

It will be the first new custom gun I've ever owned,and made by one of the masters of our time at that.I hope to fill my freezer with it for years to come.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 09:25:04 PM by vtmtnman »

Offline Mike New

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2018, 05:10:50 AM »
How do I get on the list? Thank you, Mike New

Offline Obi2winky

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2018, 03:41:20 AM »
I had an absolutely fantastic day today. David had me over and spent basically the entire day with me. He showed me how he works on the kits and also his collection. And I got to shoot his personal swivel breech hunting rifle, the same exact one Larry Pletcher shot. It was my very first time shooting a flintlock rifle and it was awesome! I am definitely hooked! I also got to meet his son and granddaughter, which was also a nice treat.

David, thank you very much your hospitality, generosity and for an enjoyable time!

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2018, 01:57:35 PM »
Looks like I need to schedule a trip to visit David.

I have looked at this several times, just enjoying the fine workmanship.  Envious of the experience demonstrated - I have a ways to go yet.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2018, 04:04:35 PM »
I find this fascinating, I had no idea there was this much interest in a 3K kit. Of course it is a very labor intense kit to produce, thus the price and it seems to be a bargain at that price. I'm very pleased there is this much disposable income out there again, there hasn't been since about 2007.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Davemuzz

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2018, 04:25:05 AM »
I received an email from Mr. Price about the cost of this rifle. I have to admit I don't think they are over priced......and I'm still considering it. My wife said...."What are you waiting for?"  Good women are hard to find!!