Author Topic: Orientation of Makers Signature on Barrels  (Read 951 times)

Offline Sawfiler

Orientation of Makers Signature on Barrels
« on: October 12, 2018, 10:33:37 PM »
The first two guns I built I engraved my signature on the top flat of the barrels and oriented the signature so it is able to be read when I am holding the guns in my hands as if I am getting ready to shoulder the gun and fire it or in other words so it is legible when viewed from the top of the barrel with the side plate facing towards my chest (I am right handed). I admit now that this was an assumption I made without ever really giving much thought to the orientation, but I notice now that most barrel signatures are completely the opposite - legible when viewed from the top with the lock towards you. Is there a reason for this? Was it just a convention that was followed? and are there historical examples of the signature being oriented as I did on my first two? I guess I did it this way done partly out of vanity - I like to see my name while I am carrying my guns hunting and shooting, but I think I am going to flip it around for my latest build. Interested to hear thought of those who have seem more originals.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 10:37:07 PM by Sawfiler »
Wish I enjoyed what makes my living
Did what I do with a willin' hand
Some would run, ah, but that ain't like me
So I just dream and keep on bein' the way I am

Offline Chowmi

Re: Orientation of Makers Signature on Barrels
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 11:26:28 PM »
The signature on the one original gun I have is oriented the way you describe.  You read it like you hold it if you are right handed, butt to the right, muzzle to the left. 
I also have an original signed barrel (barrel only, no other parts).  The barrel is made by Roop, and is signed by J (or T) Ford.  On this one, the signature is the other way around, you read it with the muzzle to the right, breech to the left.  Based on where the touch hole is, it came from a right handed gun. 

First gun is likely 1820's-30's.  The barrel may be more towards 1805. 

Cheers,
Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline ericxvi

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 03:28:42 PM »
    I sign my mine beginning at the breech end, continuing towards the muzzle, the same direction the ball goes.

Eric

n stephenson

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 03:35:53 PM »
There may have been a "common" way to sign them I don`t know. I have seen them going both ways , also , signed under the barrel , on the sideplate , just initials . The ones that get me , are the ones signed upside down on the patchbox. I stand to be corrected , but I believe they were signed many different ways , no "standard"    Nate

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 08:52:57 PM »
Just pick a system, and stick with it throughout your building 'career'.  I sign all of my rifles about half way from the plug to the rear sight with the name vertical with the rifle laying on the lock.  It seems to me that most period longrifles were signed in this manner.  Obviously, there are exceptions.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.