Author Topic: Ratchet Groove Rifling  (Read 2125 times)

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
Ratchet Groove Rifling
« on: October 13, 2018, 04:04:47 AM »
Hello all, any of you ever hear of,or have experience with ratchet groove rifling? One of our late members rifled some barrels in this way many years ago, I just got to wondering where the idea came from. Have a great evening all. Dave 8) 8)

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Ratchet Groove Rifling
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 05:08:47 AM »
With this ratchet groove rifling, are the lands higher on one side than the other side of the same land or are the grooves deeper on one side than the other of the same grove? I don't think I have ever seen it but think I read about it here not too long ago.

Offline Ghillie

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 05:39:16 AM »
Shilen Barrels makes .22 barrels with ratchet rifling and they shoot great.  You might look at their website to see what it looks like.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 08:05:38 AM »
I gave a quick look at the web site with that ratchet grove rifling and it looks as though it might be easy to clean but I think I will stay with good old traditional style for now. The traditional style will still shoot better than I can hold anyway.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Andover, Vermont

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 02:01:03 AM »
Thanks for that link Rich.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 08:41:12 PM »
Bill Large made some ratchet rifled barrels for the NSSA shooters,mostly 58 caliber
and the shot really well with the heavy hollow base and the military load of 65 grains
of powder. I remember he made some special ones for a sub weight hollow base and a 40
or 45 grain powder charge.I have shot that load and found no advantage to it.Some said
it reduced recoil.I never thought original load kicked very much.

Bob Roller

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 09:07:11 PM »
Years ago, in the 70's I bought a Numrich Arms underhammer in the 58. This rifle had ratchet-like rifling. The ordinate bearing side was the high side. I'd always thought this was done on purpose. This barrel was quite accurate and capable of 1 1/2moa. At 100yds. Due I suppose to the 72"twist, it started shooting well at 140gr. 2F.
I have a couple of good closeups of paradox muzzles. One is particularly good at showing.the ratchet rifling.
here they are

1st - slight ratchet:

2nd - Ratchet:

Normal, wide groove, narrow land:

« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 08:43:54 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V