Author Topic: Stock blank  (Read 921 times)

Tbish

Stock blank
« on: October 15, 2018, 04:46:06 AM »
Sorry I'm sure this has been asked before I have a plank that I want to cut a blank out of what I need is the width at muzzle end and stock end what u would get if bought from supplier the plank is 2 1/4 thick x 11in wide x75 in long thank you

Offline Mauser06

Re: Stock blank
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 04:49:42 AM »
Depends what style rifle you wanna build. 

A southern mountain rifle can be made with a much thinner plank than an early Lancaster.

A 2 1/4" thick stock doesn't leave much room for a 2" wide buttplate by the time you factor in cast off, cheek piece etc. 

Tbish

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 05:23:47 AM »
It's going to be southern mountain style thanks again

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 03:44:27 PM »
Tbish, I’m not sure if you are talking thickness or width of the stock blank, but I think you mean width.  The required width of a plank to be cut into a stock blank all depends on your stock pattern or blueprint and the orientation of the grain. Must start out with a blueprint or plan.

Some late English trade guns were made with so little drop, probably to save on wood, that it would be possible to fit the pattern in a lumber yard 2x8.  Guns with deep buttplates and a lot of drop need 10” of plank width and that’s without trying to align the grain in the wrist.
Andover, Vermont