Author Topic: Roger Fisher's guns & accessories to be sold  (Read 2197 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Roger Fisher's guns & accessories to be sold
« on: October 15, 2018, 04:48:27 AM »
Normally we don't list auctions but I am making an exception for the family of longtine, now deceased ALR member Roger Fisher's family.

Roger loved shooting and building longrifles, his collection of guns will be sold at auction By Alderfer Auction Center Tuesday Oct 16, 2018 on Fairgrounds Rd Hatfield PA. The accessories will be sold the next day also beginning at10AM Wed Oct 17, 2018.

I am out of town working with a phone but will post a downloadable .pdf file listing the items to be sold when I return home first part of week. This is to give you a heads up about the sale.

**added link to description of dates/time of sale Here is the .pdf describing the sale and its contents, times of sale etc http://americanlongrifles.org/PDF/roger_fisher_sale.pdf **

Dennis
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 11:18:22 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Shovelbuck

Re: Roger Fisher's guns & accessories to be sold
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 01:20:21 AM »
Looks like the muzzleloading guns start on page 6................

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp?aid=151855#Top
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 01:21:16 AM by Shovelbuck »
I don't hunt the hard way, I hunt a simpler way.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 11:17:21 PM »
Here is the .pdf describing the sale and its contents, times of sale etc http://americanlongrifles.org/PDF/roger_fisher_sale.pdf
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

galudwig

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 03:28:03 AM »
Did anyone else (besides me) participate in the auction? I scored a pretty nice Chunk Gun made by Don Getz. There was a Hershel House rifle that went for $2500 and a nice rifle by Ron Luckenbill that went for $1800. Most all the other traditional muzzleloaders went for well under the price of parts.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 03:32:32 AM »
I am assuming they had remote bidding for the auction. I should have checked. But probably best I didn't, I am trying to down size don't need more temptation!
Dennis

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 03:46:41 AM »
I was lucky enough to get the Luckenbill rifle. I bid on the Herschel gun until it went to $2500.00 and thought it would go through the roof. I should have kept bidding on that Herschel gun. It sold for $2,500.00. Wooda-Shoulda-Coulda.......
That Luckenbill gun is a dandy. Can’t wait to try it out! 
There were a bunch of contemporary guns, both flint and percussion that sold cheap. Too cheap. I’m saying $500.00 and less.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 03:50:15 AM by Stoner creek »
Stop Marxism in America

galudwig

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 04:21:50 AM »
I was lucky enough to get the Luckenbill rifle. I bid on the Herschel gun until it went to $2500.00 and thought it would go through the roof. I should have kept bidding on that Herschel gun. It sold for $2,500.00. Wooda-Shoulda-Coulda.......
That Luckenbill gun is a dandy. Can’t wait to try it out! 
There were a bunch of contemporary guns, both flint and percussion that sold cheap. Too cheap. I’m saying $500.00 and less.

Congrats on getting that Luckenbill rifle. It was a really nice rifle and I considered bidding on it too.

For some reason, that Chunk Gun really caught my eye. I finally realized that it was a rifle that I had saved pictures of (probably from this forum) maybe 10 or more years ago.  I have admired that rifle since I first saw it, so I bid on it, and won!

I agree that most of the rifles went surprisingly cheap. I'm also surprised there wasn't more of a bidding war for the Hershel rifle. It was a nice rifle and someone got a good deal.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 08:07:40 PM by galudwig »

galudwig

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 04:27:02 AM »
I am assuming they had remote bidding for the auction. I should have checked. But probably best I didn't, I am trying to down size don't need more temptation!
Dennis

Yes, they did have an online bidding option. That process was pretty easy. The downside though is the buyer premiums and shipping charges. Even then, the final cost for the rifle I bought will be very reasonable.

Offline Roughneck

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 05:43:57 PM »
I bid on the Luckenbill rifle but gave up at 1700 LOL. Stoner Congrats on getting that one. I was a bit hesitant to bid more cause I didn’t know what the final price would be but that rifle sure looked like a dandy!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 05:45:23 PM by Roughneck »

Offline Kynoch

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 03:38:58 AM »
I was fortunate enough to end up with the House rifle.  I came across it a few weeks ago and put in my max bid at the time.  That buyers premium sure adds up...   Nice to see so many of those rifles end up with the people here.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 03:40:03 AM by Kynoch »

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 04:08:36 AM »
Congratulations on getting that Herschel gun! It’s nice to see some of Roger’s collection go to ALR members.
That Herschel gun may go back apiece. The Bill Large barrel and lock would certainly indicate that.
My guess mid to late 1970s.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 04:09:17 AM by Stoner creek »
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Kynoch

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 04:58:38 AM »
Thanks for that.  Wasn't sure who made the lock.  I was a little concerned about the comment that the rifle will not stay on fullcock but figured it may be something minor.  I enlarged some of the pics last not and was surprised to see what looks,like two adjustment screws - one for each trigger.  I'm not familiar with that.   Thanks again.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 05:20:27 AM »
Looks like an Ashmore lock. Any repairs to get that gun going should be minor. You are on the right website to get answers as to how to get it fixed. I’ll bet it’s going to be easy. The trigger looks like it has a mainspring and set adjustment screw.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 03:05:03 PM »
Congrats to you folks! Glad I missed all of it, All I've been buying is home appliances...everything breaks all at once. Got a new water heater, refrigerator, riding mower, freezer and the dish for the computer shot craps. Ain't got no gun money no mo. :-\ Although I do have a couple guns I need to put up for sale, but that money goes towards something I can drive out of the county and get back again..... ramble -ramble-ramble..... ::)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

galudwig

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 03:15:59 PM »
Congrats on getting the Hershel rifle Kynoch! I thought about it long and hard. In the end, that buyer's premium was a real buzz-kill for me. Still, it is nice to see several ALR members become caretakers of some nice rifles. You just became a member of a club (Hershel rifle owners) that many of us would like to belong to. If I were you, I'd try to research that rifle's history. Hard to tell how many hands that rifle passed between and I'm sure whoever becomes it's caretaker in the future would love to know its backstory!  Hershel could probably even fix the lock for you!.