Author Topic: What do you all use for a small vise?  (Read 3699 times)

Offline Greg Pennell

Re: What do you all use for a small vise?
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2018, 05:19:43 AM »
Mark, I have a couple of hand vises like yours that I find indispensable for small work. I picked mine up from eBay pretty cheaply.  I also use a small, clamp-on vise for lots of stuff, including the “third hand” I use to help support the end of the rifle that’s not in my stocking vise. I’m not sure a guy can have too many vises (vices, maybe... :o)

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2018, 05:30:17 AM »
 A small vise.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2018, 01:39:25 PM »
Guys,

I'm with Mark Elliot, the old and original are still great!  Here is the small vice I use most of the time, it includes the dimples on the left side for a bow drill.  Probably late 18th c or early 19th c - still good.

[

For tiny parts I have what looks like a small hand vice, but with a clamp to use it as a tiny bench vice.  This is also late 18th c or early 19th c - a beautiful tool.

Jim
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 03:19:36 AM by James Wilson Everett »

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2018, 11:45:44 PM »
Nothing beats a small, high quality vise. The moving jaw must stay parallel with the front jaw when tightened, moving jaw must not lift when vise is tightened. Otherwise, the work will squirt out the top of the vise while milling or drilling. But if you have a big drill press table, get a big vise, as the jaws open wider, and are deeper. This larger size not only gives you more capacity, but holds the work more securely, ensuring YOUR safety as well as that of the workpiece.

You need to get the work up near the top of the jaws so you can see what you're doing. But how do you hold a tumbler from tipping as you apply drill pressure? Support pieces, called parallels, are used under your parts.

Sets of parallels and various packing pieces for the vise are essential. I have a set that runs from 1/2" tall to 1 3/4" tall, all of them are 1/8 thick.

Lathe tool bits make good parallels, coming in squares from 1/8" sq to 3/4" sq and larger.

You can paw through your scrap bin and find shorts of steel or aluminum that are parallel sided.

Shaped or tapered packing pieces are useful for holding a barrel surface level so you can install a vent liner without the barrel moving on you. (of course you must support the other end of the barrel.)

Eventually you'll want a tipping vise so you can tweak those lock bolts thru at just the angle you want.  ;D

« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 11:48:49 PM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2018, 04:41:40 PM »
I just use a small clamp-on vice I picked up somewhere. I like that I can remove if from the bench to keep the space open. More infrequently I use a antique handheld vice like others have pictured.

Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline alacran

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2018, 05:00:52 PM »
I bought this little vise at Harbor Freight.  It is very versatile. It swivels both vertically and horizontally.  The small jaw has no teeth on the face.  The jaws are fairly square. It can be permanently mounted or temporarily as I have shown here. Best of all it retails for $20.00.
I had a 25% off coupon when I bought it. One of the best things I have ever bought there.

A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass