Author Topic: Farm Boy Rifle  (Read 3357 times)

Offline blienemann

Farm Boy Rifle
« on: October 17, 2018, 06:41:58 AM »
A few years back I wanted to experiment at stocking a longrifle as if I were an 18th century farm boy with a gunsmith neighbor to help me.  The fantasy was that after field work and chores, I would visit the gunsmith, receive some direction, head home to work on my own, and return as needed. 

In this modern world I had a bench under a single window in the garage, would come home from the job about 6 pm, quick bite of dinner and work until the light was gone – beginning in April, so the days got longer as the rifle progressed.  All simple hand tools that would be found on a farm, including a push drill.  I tried some rough shaping and filing by a kerosene lantern, but this only put flickering light on one side of the work, so most operations were best done with good daylight.  This project is a copy of an original rifle, so the architecture and carving are close to the old piece.

On the first visit old Johann traced a pattern onto a plank of maple, and showed me how to cut out and rough shape the gunstock with a hand saw.  This worked pretty well, though I had to be careful not to angle the blade and get out of square, then plane it back to square.  This took several evenings. 

The barrel was breeched and proofed as normal with the touchhole drilled.   Next was filing a slight draft on the bottom half of the two side flats of the barrel so it would come out of the stock without damage.  He laid the barrel on the stock at an angle and traced along each side, then showed me how to start inletting the barrel with a round gouge and mallet.  I worked on this for a while, then set the barrel down into the groove, marked the sides with a chisel sliding along the side flats to make a scribed line, marked it with a pencil, and continued inletting the barrel and tang into the stock with a small straight chisel and hammer.  We used soot from a candle to show where to remove more wood.  When I got close, I could stand the chisel up and use it as a scraper.  This took my free time over a week.

When I went back, he showed me how to cut dovetails with a hacksaw and file, and file up lugs.  We worked side by side, installed these and pinned the barrel.  The next visit we turned the stock upside down and laid out the ramrod groove, gouged and straightened it and he drilled the ramrod hole, checking where the drill was going every few inches.

At home, I used the hand saw to trim the wood to 1/8” along the barrel and ¼” both sides at the lock area.  It was easy to lay a pencil along the barrel and draw these lines.  Again I had to watch the angle on the saw – I got a little thin ahead of the lock on one side.

When I went back, he had a finished lock with engraving, drilled, hardened and polished.  He showed me how to layout the lock with the pan centered on the touchhole, the front lock bolt hole below the barrel and the rear of the lock in the middle of the wrist.  We drilled a few holes for the sear and some parts, and inlet the lock with carving tools and chisels until it was tight against the barrel.  We drilled small holes from the lock to the sideplate side, then drilled back for the two bolts.  I cut a rectangle of brass with a hacksaw, drilled the plate for the lock bolts, then filed it to a fancy shape around the bolts, tapped and installed them.

Johann showed me how to hammer out a trigger, then we pinned it through the stock ahead of the sear.  We took an old brass trigger plate from a musket, inlet it, drilled from both sides, then tapped and installed the tang bolt.  We cut out a silver oval, soldered it to a lug and inlet it on the wrist, held from below with a screw through the back of the trigger plate.  We made two ramrod pipes and installed them with pins.  With the trigger located, he showed me how to measure the buttstock for length.  He had me draw another center line on the top and bottom of the stock from the breech to ¼” to the lock side at the butt.

He showed me how to clean up sand castings, and I went home and carefully filed the buttplate and trigger guard with rasp and file, trying to keep the lines like old parts he sent with me.  That took several evenings.  Then I laid the buttplate in place, traced inside and cut away the wood with saw and chisel, using soot from a candle.  I scraped with the chisel until this fit, and marked the layout of the trigger guard.  Johann helped me install the buttplate, and we inlet each end of the trigger guard and pinned and screwed it down.

He drew on the stock where to remove wood, the cheekpiece and other details, and I went home and did this, following a broken stock he sent with me.  On the forend he drew lines top and bottom and had me shape these into flats, and then round them over.  The area where I thought I cut too deep turned out OK, as this is supposed to be thin.  When I went back, he showed me where to do a little more shaping, and we soon had the stock shaped with plane and rasp.  He hammered over a nosecap, and showed me how to make the ramrod entry pipe and raise the rear part to match the step in the wood.  We inlet and pinned those parts.

Then I returned home and smooth filed all the mounts and scraped the wood clean and smooth with a pocket knife, sharpening as needed and following the grain.  This took some time with good light to get it right.  When I went back, Johann was happy and we made a wood patchbox cover and spring, drilled out the box and cleaned it up.   

Then he drew the cheekpiece and other carving designs on the rifle stock.  I could draw the moulding lines by sliding my fingers along the barrel or ramrod channel to draw lines parallel, and I moved slightly to make the lower buttstock moulding narrower as it goes forward.   Johann demonstrated some cuts with his carving tools, but showed me how to do this carefully with a pocket knife, walking the blade around curves to keep a smooth line and not slip or cut myself.  Cut straight down, then angle the knife to widen the line in certain areas.  He showed me how to remove the shallow background in some areas, but just cut the design in other areas.  I went home and worked on this for a good week, being as careful as I could.  I decided to freehand cut the molding lines by pushing the sharp corner of a broken file along the lines, and this worked pretty good except for an area on one side where I hit a funny spot in the wood.  I tried to make it look better, but it is rough.  Usually the file would follow the line I drew, and pretty straight, and I could lay it down part way to cut a straight line.  This worked real good on the cheekpiece mouldings.  I also used the front edge of the broken file to remove some background in the carving, then scraped it.

I filed the barrel smooth with a light touch on a file, and did the same with the brass mounts.  When I was done, I went back and we made and installed the sights on the barrel, lifting the corners a little on the rear sight like he showed me.  We also split a ramrod from hickory and shaped and smoothed it, tapering from thick at the muzzle to thin inside the hole, with a pinned iron tip to take a worm or scraper.  Johann was happy, so we painted a stain on the stock and ramrod, held them over heat and they turned a dark reddish brown.  He said it was aquafortis with some tanbark mixed in to make the curl show.  We rubbed the stock really hard with burlap which left the curls dark but the other areas lighter.  Then on the next visit we rubbed a coat of reddish oil into the wood, and let it dry.  He sent me home with a little oil, and when each coat was good and dry, I would rub a thin coat into the wood until most of the pores were filled up and the wood was smooth.  Each time I rubbed the finish off the brass and silver before it dried.  The rifle was finished after several weeks, but I could still add a thin coat of oil later if it looked dry.

That was two years ago, I learned a lot, and Johann was happy with me listening and usually doing what he showed me.  This is what the rifle looks like now.  It has worn in some areas, and the acid stain in the wood colors the metal in some areas.  But that is how it should be, and in more time the barrel will be mostly brown and not shiny.

Offline Chowmi

Re: Farm Boy Rifle
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 07:13:35 AM »

It's a beautiful rifle, and you can see where it was done in daylight, which gives it an authentic look.  I like that very much. 

What a great narrative too.  I like it.  Was that a recent build, or from many years ago? 

By the way, with this, and your other posts about 3 day rifles, I am getting more and more keen to do a simple, quick build to focus on architecture.  3 days is way out of my league though..

All the best,
Norm
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 04:15:50 PM by Chowmi »
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 08:24:10 AM »
Beautiful rifle.  Great narrative too.  It is not about the destination but rather the journey!
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 04:59:06 PM »
Nice rifle Bob. Where'd you find that trigger guard, I've been looking for that one.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Algae

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 05:44:23 PM »
Very, VERY nice!! I wish my first rifle looked half that good!

Al J.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 05:58:22 PM »
Bob,
Very nice job on the rifle as well as your narrative regarding the building process.
Mark
Mark

Offline blienemann

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 06:07:19 PM »
Norm, rifle was built in 2001, but it doesn't have much wear, so I suggested several years.  Yes, it’s about the journey and imagination – and experimenting with simple hand tools.  Eric K is the master of the story approach, and Jim Alford’s Ft. Astoria rifle is a fine example.  Maybe we need a thread on rifles with a backstory, or fantasy projects, like David Rase’s recent post?  Mike, the guard came from Jack Brooks (a cousin?) who cast a few from an original rifle.  Bob

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 06:13:20 PM »
Norm, rifle was built in 2001, but it doesn't have much wear, so I suggested several years.  Yes, it’s about the journey and imagination – and experimenting with simple hand tools.  Eric K is the master of the story approach, and Jim Alford’s Ft. Astoria rifle is a fine example.  Maybe we need a thread on rifles with a backstory, or fantasy projects, like David Rase’s recent post?  Mike, the guard came from Jack Brooks (a cousin?) who cast a few from an original rifle.  Bob
I was afraid that might have been your source for that guard. Jack and I aren't related, but my ex-wife grew up on the same street he lives on. Quite a quinky-dink eh? :o
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

n stephenson

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 03:40:46 PM »
Bob, that rifle is a beauty!  That farm boy has some talent! ;D

Online David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 06:27:59 PM »
And if I was a betting man I would guess that Johann's last name was Brooks.  ;)
David

Offline blienemann

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 07:03:54 PM »
Hi David,

No, Johann is a fictional character here.  Mr. Brooks had no input to or awareness of this project until after it was complete, and I don't know if he approved?  The work is rough given limited tools and experience using them. 

He certainly taught me a lot in the years prior, as did you and a few other fine men.  Thanks.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 11:26:02 PM »
Your rifle is a beauty; and the narrative is excellent.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 01:48:45 AM »
blienemann:

Nice rifle and great narrative......  Everyone needs a Johann......
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 01:58:59 PM »
Bob, I like everything about that rifle.  It looks convincingly 1700s.  The finishes, lines, and carving are just beautiful.  If it needs a good home, I can do a rescue.  I'll even take it for walks.   ;-)   God Bless,   Marc

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 03:43:02 PM »
I altogether Like this rifle Blineman!

It may be a bit high end for a farm -boy, given the engraving and such, but a lovely honest working gun, and one I'd be proud to carry!

Mike,

Check out the guard on Jim Chambers "Mark Silver" rifle.  It is Very close to this one.   (Don't have  a photo of mine I don't think.)  Very comfortable guard.

galudwig

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2018, 12:53:45 AM »
I altogether Like this rifle Blineman!

It may be a bit high end for a farm -boy, given the engraving and such, but a lovely honest working gun, and one I'd be proud to carry!

I agree. Beautiful rifle indeed, but a bit beyond the average farm boy's first effort.

Offline blienemann

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2018, 06:25:49 AM »
Thank you for the challenges, and others have suggested the same.  In those days locks were assembled, lock bolt holes drilled and tapped, plate and cock engraved if they were going to be, then hardened and polished back to white before sale.  Thus no engraving on this rifle. 

It is a close copy of an original with this interesting architecture and detail, slim around the lock and sideplate, spade shaped beavertails and interesting carving designs.    It would be difficult for a farm boy to get this right unless someone was demonstrating and checking before the next step.  The idea was fun, but may well be unrealistic, unless a careful coach.  I'm surprised at the term "beautiful", as this is certainly rough in places.  I was curious about what might result, and experimented with techniques like just pushing the corner of a file to follow freehand moulding lines.  It generally worked really well, until I hit the area ahead of the sideplate. 

Could this be an early southern rifle?

Online BOB HILL

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2018, 06:53:19 AM »
Southern or not fine looking rifle, Bob. I sure like it.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

galudwig

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2018, 02:36:45 PM »
I don't know. Pretty much like the thread you started on "Plain & Perdy" rifles a while back, I find a lot of beauty in plain, well executed rifles and this one sure qualifies. I just see it more as a rifle that farm boy produced after Johannes saw his potential and took him on as an apprentice. Then, after several years of learning the particulars of the trade, Johannes gave our ex-farm boy the opportunity to stock a rifle on his own for a local client of modest means. I'm guessing the client, (as would I), would have been pleased with the results!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2018, 05:32:35 AM »
That is a SPECIAL rifle, no ifs, ans or buts!
What barrel please. Who made it, calibre, etc.,m some specs.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline blienemann

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2018, 07:33:52 AM »
Pukka and galudwig - I appreciate your comments and the alternative narrative.  Some children's books are now written where they choose their own ending, and I may adopt this approach.  :)  Daryl, a custom Getz .54 x 44 inch swamped barrel and Chambers early Ketland lock.  Trigger plate and thumbpiece lug reused from a Brown Bess, other mounts and details custom after an unsigned original rifle.  Credit goes to the original stocker.

Offline RockLock92

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2018, 12:10:32 AM »
I really love this rifle!

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2018, 02:50:22 AM »
I like this rifle also. The narrative sounds like the way Bob Walden has tought me,and several others,pretty much same process.Good build,and some rite good readin!! Thanks, Dave f 8) 8)