Author Topic: leonard day swivel breech flintlock  (Read 1974 times)

Offline hawkeye

leonard day swivel breech flintlock
« on: October 17, 2018, 01:35:12 PM »
Hello ,
I'm pretty new on this forum, I came across a leonard day swivel breech flintlock in .45 calibre;
I was hoping some off you could be aware and informing me about the quality of this rifles made by Leonard Day  .
realibility off the action ,the barrels he used....., what would be a fair price for this guns?
hawkeye

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
Re: leonard day swivel breech flintlock
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 03:10:48 PM »
I've not ever owned one but the last flintlock I saw for sale was in the $2500.00 range. Caplocks can be had for as little as $900.00.

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 06:48:49 PM »
Hawkeye, Leonard uses quality components and has been building rifles since the 1950s. Generally, the guns use his own locks and furniture. All of his swivel breech rifles use his actions. We collaborated on a swivel breech "Jaeger" rifle some years ago and he made up the furniture himself. Pricing is hard to determine without seeing the piece and knowing it's condition, but $1200 to $1500 is a good starting point.
Dan

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 08:38:49 PM »
Dphar has a couple swivel rifles. I looked them over in late September when Tracy and I were passing through Livingston.
One he uses for hunting, they other he's in the 'throws' of building right now. Both special. I do not know if they are Lennard Day's,
locks and action, but suspect they might be.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V