Author Topic: Inletting a lollipop tang  (Read 2203 times)

Offline sdilts

Inletting a lollipop tang
« on: October 17, 2018, 03:02:24 PM »
My next build will have a lollipop tang. I've never done one before so I'm looking for some tips to ease the process.

Turtle

Re: Inletting a lollipop tang
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 03:32:09 PM »
 It's difficult not to end up with a gap at the front of the lollypop. I have found a more extremely angled draft on the front of the lollypop  and going slow helps.
                                                        Turtle

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 03:57:58 PM »
Turtle is right, that gap can easily appear in front of the lollypop.  Another trick that I do is I bend the tang so that I am only inletting a little bit at a time.  Starting with the normal length of the tang.  Once I get it set in I start working the rest of it on down. 

Cory Joe Stewart

Online J. Talbert

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 04:33:12 PM »
I second the advice offered thus for.
Work your way down the tang a little at a time and put plenty of draft on the upper side of the lollipop.
Be very careful removing any wood on that upper side.  Make sure everything else is fitting properly and that that is in fact the spot that needs to be trimmed before you remove more wood.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 04:40:24 PM »
My next build will have a lollipop tang. I've never done one before so I'm looking for some tips to ease the process.

One tip would be to have the patience of a cigar store indian.I have seen these and wondered
why or what was the idea to begin with.Probably someone with lots of time on their hands.
IF I were going to try this,I would inlet the wrench lug first then perhaps elevate the barrel to level
up out of the channel and inlet it straight down and make sure the draft along the tang is uniform.
I am sure there are gun stockers on this forum that have a better idea.

Bob Roller

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 07:45:45 PM »
If you screw up, you can pour a pewter inlay around it.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline PPatch

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 09:14:28 PM »
To date I have done three extended tang inlets. My technique is to inlet from the barrel on backwards to the lollipop. Everyone is correct about that lollipop and filing a good draft on the side toward the barrel. And once you arrive at the lollipop you really have to be careful with your wood removal in that area, so go slow and be sure before cutting.

Another thing; drilling for the screw at the lollipop - be sure you are centered in the hole and going in dead vertical. For holes like that I use a finger drill to start them.

Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline G_T

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 09:43:54 PM »
Notice in that lollipop picture above how the inside corners are radiused? When they are sharp corners, the wood is easy to accidentally mash while fitting.

If the bend of the tang is such that it wants to sit just a little above the surface of the wood at the back, and the screw pulls it down, I figure it is easier to remove the barrel. Whacking the barrel with a rubber mallet (or I just use one of my wooden carving mallets) causes vibration. The vibration will break the lollipop free and it will rise up some. Then it is easier to remove the barrel. IMHO, of course! I don't know what others have done.

I've only worked on one, so don't take my advise!

Gerald

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 10:13:09 PM »
Jeff, Cory and Turtle,
When you all refer to the front or upper side of the lollipop, are you referring to the part of the lollipop towards the muzzle or the butt? Got one I am going to start soon and great timing of this discussion on the forum. Thanks!
elkhorne

Offline sdilts

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 03:03:59 AM »
Thanks guys. I kind of thought it might be best to work from the barrel back but I never thought about filing the extra draft on the lollipop. I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Steve

Turtle

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 03:49:44 AM »
front side towards the muzzel

galudwig

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 04:01:36 AM »
You have to resist the tendency to want to relieve wood on the "stick" side of the lollipop to make it fit.  The steep draft like others have suggested is very important as it will allow the lollipop to eventually slide over the wood and into place.  If you leave the front of the lollipop too "square" and you remove wood to accommodate it, you will end up with the dreaded gap. You will swear that the lollipop will never pop into place without removing more wood. Work slowly, adjust the draft on the lollipop (LEAVE THE WOOD ALONE), and then suddenly, it will pop into place.

bnail

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 03:53:54 PM »
Work your way down the tang a little at a time and put plenty of draft on the upper side of the lollipop.
. . .
Jeff
could you explaine "plenty of draft"?

galudwig

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2018, 04:24:53 PM »
. . .
Jeff
could you explaine "plenty of draft"?

bnail

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2018, 05:51:35 PM »
Thanks for that. I dodnt know what Drift was, but i didnt phrase my question clearly. That comparison your comparison helps.

galudwig

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2018, 07:48:37 PM »
With draft, you file a slight angle on the metal piece being inlet into the wood so that it will fit without binding. You are basically making the bottom of the piece slightly smaller (dimensionally) than the top. It is very important that you maintain the shape of the piece on the surface while filing, otherwise, a gap will form. File from the bottom of the piece towards the top edge; trying to maintain an angle of abut 2-3 degrees (it don't take much).

Notice that the line I drew at the spot marked "DRAFT" is not at 90 degrees perpendicular to the top of the tang. In most instances, this slight angle should be enough draft to allow the piece to go in and out of the inlet without binding or splintering the wood. Notice that the line I drew at the spot marked "PLENTY OF DRAFT" is much steeper and even farther out of 90 degrees perpendicular to the top of the tang. The degree of the angle may vary, but will always be radically steeper than the draft you put on parts that go straight into and/or out of an inlet. The steep angle at the area I marked "PLENTY OF DRAFT" is key to getting a gapless fit at the stick end of the lollipop.

I find it easier to file a normal draft in all along the edge of the lollipop first, then mark your inlet wth a marking knife or a sharp Exacto knife. Once you get the excavation for the lollipop started, then you can start steepening the angle at the front and front sides (only) of the lollipop. As others have said, it's a painstaking, trial & fit, process that should not be rushed. Once again, resist with all your might the urge to remove any major wood at the front of the inlet. Instead, file a hair more off the front & front sides of the lollipop.  You will swear that the tang will never drop into place; then suddenly it does. Remember that the tang is not only moving down, but also back as it approaches it's final position.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2018, 07:47:49 AM »
Galudwig,

Great explanation!  A picture really does beat a thousand words.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2018, 01:42:13 PM »
galudwig,

What a wonderfully patient and helpful set of posts.  You are a credit to the forum.  Many thanks.  God Bless,   Marc