Author Topic: Douglas Barrel  (Read 1874 times)

cahil_2

Douglas Barrel
« on: October 18, 2018, 03:57:47 AM »
I bought a used long rifle at an estate sale and was told it has a Douglas xx barrel. How can I verify without removing the barrel?  It has the numbers 15 and 66 stamped on the end of the barrel.

Offline Stoner creek

Re: Douglas Barrel
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 04:05:07 AM »
I think that I remember them stamping the rate of twist on the muzzle. That should be 1-66. Consistent with Douglas.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 04:25:51 PM »
Why are you reluctant to remove the barrel?  If the maker knew his stuff the barrel will be stamped with the factory stamp on the bottom flat at the breech.  Douglas bored octagon stock and drill run-out direction was indicated by the stamp.

Online Daryl

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 06:04:08 PM »
You must remove the barrel and perhaps  draw the plug.  the only Douglas XX barrel I saw, had the XX stamped on the end of the barrel that would become the breech.

Douglas' XX barrels were octagonal blanks where the hole drilled for the bore ended up in the middle or close enough to the middle for them to declare "XX" and charge more money.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 02:19:55 PM »
Good morning,
All of the Douglas barrels that I have worked on, all had X markings on the bottom flat at the breech end.
Many and most had the twist marked on the muzzle.
I have bought quite a few Douglas barrels from Numrich Arms in years gone by.
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline xx54

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 02:52:24 AM »
I had about a dozen new old stock Douglas barrels at one time. I have sold some of them and kept the ones that were XX. You should find the XX stamp on probably the bottom flat.I have even saw 2 XXX Douglas's. I always heard that they were dead center bore and air gauged. They were all stamped with a 66 on the end of the muzzle which indicated the rate of twist. I saw a XX 62 swamped once and I don't think Douglas cataloged this caliber. I hope this will help you out.
XX54

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 02:58:56 AM »
I have a standard grade  Douglas barrel that is stamped with the caliber (45) and the rate of twist (66) on the muzzle. It was advised by Douglas to cut off an inch or two from the muzzle to eliminate the tool run out.

Hungry Horse

Online Daryl

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 06:22:27 AM »
The Douglass barrels I saw, were in about 1975 - maybe 1976. And yes, they were stamped on the end of the breech-end of the barrel.

I also recall Douglas suggested cutting off an inch or more, from the muzzle end, due to tool  run-out. 

This is normally suggested for ANY modern barrel, but I have not heard it suggested for ML barrels.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V