Author Topic: The Massachusetts Spy Script  (Read 2203 times)

Offline aaronc

The Massachusetts Spy Script
« on: October 19, 2018, 01:47:51 AM »
Going to do this snake and dragon/devil sometime in the near future on a horn.....original was by Paul Revere. I also like the script style of "Massachusetts Spy".

Anyone know a place to find an entire alphabet of it??

- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline Greg Pennell

Re: The Massachusetts Spy Script
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 02:02:28 AM »
Aaron, recently I did a google search for “colonial script” and came up with some interesting stuff. You might try that, and “old English script” and see if you can find something close to what you’re looking for.  Whenever I find something I like, I print it out and stick it in a file folder...now, if I could just remember where I put the darn folder...

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline aaronc

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 02:05:38 AM »
Greg,..,I'll try those searches. Maybe it will be more fruitful than the previous ones I've used...Yep  I save all the cool stuff as well...Thanks -Aaron
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline aaronc

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 02:28:24 AM »
Aaron, recently I did a google search for “colonial script” and came up with some interesting stuff. You might try that, and “old English script” and see if you can find something close to what you’re looking for.  Whenever I find something I like, I print it out and stick it in a file folder...now, if I could just remember where I put the darn folder...

Greg

This showed up under "old english"   using the phrases with "germanic" also brought up some close comparisons. Nothing exact but close enough to work with. ,
-Aaron

« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 02:38:56 AM by aaronc »
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 06:09:15 AM »
Good!  Glad you found something to work with!  There are tons of different styles, the trouble is finding an example that has the whole alphabet. Sometimes I just “wing it” 🤷🏻‍♂️

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline aaronc

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 06:53:37 AM »
Good!  Glad you found something to work with!  There are tons of different styles, the trouble is finding an example that has the whole alphabet. Sometimes I just “wing it” 🤷🏻‍♂️

Greg

lololol,..you can bet sometimes they did.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 03:22:37 AM »
Here’s another suggestion that has been an invaluable resource for lettering design for me.
Find a copy of the 17th Ed. Of the Speedball lettering book by Ross F George
If you type the title into Google, you will get a hit on Scibed showing every page of the book in pdf format.  I believe you will find what you are looking for around page 66
I’m fortunate enough to have my father’s copy still in good but worn condition. He referred to it many times throughout his career as a draftsman.
Best regards,
Johnny

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 04:16:38 AM »
Good job Johnny,  I couldn't find my copy of the Speedball guide and was unsuccessful looking for it on-line (as I wasn't sure of the title).
Kunk

Offline aaronc

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 10:32:05 PM »
Good job Johnny,  I couldn't find my copy of the Speedball guide and was unsuccessful looking for it on-line (as I wasn't sure of the title).

Well Johnny that's one of the best darn tips I've had in a while,....wow whata resource. Yep I was able to find each page posted on line and you nailed it pg 66 appears to be right down my alley. There will probably be a hard copy around here within a week.  Thanks for posting,.....-Aaron
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline aaronc

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 08:21:36 PM »
Look for a web site called dafont.com. They show a lot of free downloadable fonts. Find one you like and download it. Open a text program (like MS Word), type the text in the size you want and print it. It can be used as a guide or you can trace it onto the horn with carbon paper. If the font includes the long "s" (they rarely do) be careful how you use it. There are rules as to when and how it's used along with, or in place of the short "s" (like never at the end of a word).

Another great resource,.tons of choices. Thanks
- Aaron C
At the work bench.