Author Topic: Mark Baker's rifle  (Read 3741 times)

bnail

Mark Baker's rifle
« on: October 19, 2018, 02:17:20 AM »
Does anyone recall what happened to Mark Baker's rifle [mariah?] That he carried during most of his time writing Pilgrim's journey? Who made it and who made his replqacement?

Offline sqrldog

Re: Mark Baker's rifle
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 02:44:58 AM »
Bnail from memory  I think the first rifle was made by Jud Brennan and the second called Gideon by Mike Miller.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 03:04:12 AM by sqrldog »

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 02:48:49 AM »
Tim is right. I think Jud made the rifle while he was still living in Michigan.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 02:56:18 AM »
Mark's first rifle was indeed made by Jud , " as a favour to an old school friend" is how I believe Mark explained it.  A .50cal , it was getting a tad worn.  so Mark had Mike Miller build him a new rifle. It's a .60 cal and sports a hand made lock. You can see the rifle in detail on Mike Miller's web site.

bnail

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 03:04:48 AM »
Many thanks.   Seems like ancient history now

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 06:36:12 AM »
Guys,

Doesn't mark still own both rifles?
I feel very out of date.
Used to write to him back then.   Send him old ways of camping info and stuff.   Scottish Highland living etc.

bnail

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 07:37:37 AM »
My memory is that he sold his first.  Wonder if he wrote about it in Pilgrims journey

Offline JW

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 07:48:02 PM »
He wrote about his first rifle a little in Pilgrim's journey - .50 cal, left-hand lock with a octogon to round barrel and made by Jud Brennan. I remember he said he used a basic 50 grain charge for squirrel all the way up and for "shooting at marks." I remember that because at the time, I had a .50 cal and that prompted me to load it down a bit and experiment with less powder.

This was the first volume. I never read the second, so I'm not sure if he wrote about selling that rifle at that point or if that was still before Mike Miller made his newer gun.

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 06:09:32 AM »
Mark allowed me to do an interview with him some years ago.  I believe he discussed the rifles in the interview below. (I think the link still works).

https://www.blackpowdermag.com/mark-baker-talks-about-trekking/

Regards,
Petch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 04:37:22 PM »
I shot Baker's gun once. I'll sign autographs for a fee for those that are interested. ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

gizamo

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 06:30:58 PM »
Mike...

How much for one with a Mark Baker signature?   ;D
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 06:31:36 PM by gizamo »