Author Topic: Houston, we have a bag issue  (Read 3823 times)

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
Houston, we have a bag issue
« on: October 20, 2018, 06:36:48 PM »
I’ve spent some time making some bags learning the process and working up to this one. The issue I’ve ran into is the size. It has come out to 6” x 6”.   My hand barely fits in the bag.  Once I  stitch the flap on,  it will be decoration only.  I realize they were originally small but the fellow that had this one must not have had average hands for a 6’2” human. It will hold all 3 or 4 items I put in my bags but getting them out will be nearly impossible.

Any bag makers flub up this bad?

My plan is to increase the size of the pattern and start over. 

Offline Greg Pennell

Re: Houston, we have a bag issue
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 07:30:45 PM »
Mike, it just so happens that I’m working on that same bag...and the pattern in the book IS small. I gave it another 1/4” all the way round before I cut it out, because I was afraid of the same thing...especially since my leather is a bit heavy at 3-4oz.

I have the bag sewn up, but I’m still working out the flap and strap attachment.  I chose not to line, or fringe mine, but I did welt the pouches, and bind the flap edges.

Yours looks really nice, and a shame not to use somehow.  Maybe put a belt loop on the back, and use it for a really nice fire kit?  Or, finish it up and sell it to someone with smaller hands?

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 04:23:55 AM »
Afghanvet,

Finish her up.  I'm sure someone on here would be interested (like me).
Kunk

Offline rollingblock

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 04:36:57 AM »
add a gusset, that might help.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 05:08:33 AM »
It’s the opening hole at the top.  It has plenty of room without a gusset. Once I stitch the lid on, it closes up the sides a little.   I’ll only be able to three finger it.

Offline ChipK

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 05:13:32 AM »
I recently made a bag and had the same result.  I changed the side seams from those that were rolled in to ones that were flat.  It gave my another 3/4 to an inch of opening to the bag. Made all the difference in the world and saved the bag

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 05:32:24 AM »
When building a smaller over all shape bag I have found it wise to make the front piece of the bag a bit larger then may be offered in a pattern.  This allows a bit more space for your hand to get into the bag.  Yes, it will be bigger and fit a bit more loosely at the top but your flap will cover it and your hand will go in it easier.

Just a thought.....
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline PPatch

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 06:15:22 PM »
Hey Afghan; Hope you get your bag sorted, its a handsome little thing.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 01:01:20 AM »
Thanks Dave.  I’m either hanging from my rear view or off the Christmas tree.  It would be great for a 1/2 scale rifle. 

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 02:58:01 AM »
About the right size for a fire starting kit.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 05:55:53 AM »
And a Snicker's Bar.  ;D

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 03:10:58 PM »
I’m 6’2” and had the same issues getting my paws down in the small opening.

I converted mine into a belt bag and use the rear pouch for my flint wallet which when closed is about 4” x 2” x 1 1/2” thick.

In the front pocket I carry roundballs , I can manage to get a finger or two in there and grab a ball .

But have to loosen the buckle to get too the flint wallet .

Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 11:03:01 PM »
The bag does look good, though.  I guess there may be at least one advantage to being a little guy.  8)
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 01:16:51 AM »
Make your front at least 1/2" larger than the back.  Sew it with the leather damp, sew a few stitches at the top corners and at the bottom to line everything up then stitch around.  I wet the front and stuff plastic bags inside with a piece of luan or thin plywood on the tight to the back to keep it fairly flat - to mold the front a bit.  The back is at least an inch higher than the front to allow for the flap to be sewn and not to "crowd the opening too much - can be adjusted.  Adding a gusset will achieve the same effect.I prefer a tight bag as opposed to a roomy one so I don't have to chase things around when I need one of the few things I keep there.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2018, 01:59:38 AM »
Thanks for all the comments and advice.  I like the style of the little bag.  I’m making another a little bigger. I really like the cover bag and I currently use it so,  I used the dimensions from it to make the templates.   It is all going well so far.  I’m also building a horn.  This horn on my heart bag is a store bought one.  I drilled through my polished horn last night so I have another on order and will use my ruined one for bands.  I don’t see an end to this adventure anytime soon.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2018, 02:41:04 AM »
I never could drill a horn. I'll bet I have ruined 5 or 6 at least. That's the reason someone invented screw-tip horns. ;D

Offline JW

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2018, 07:57:14 PM »
I empathize with you on the issues of the smaller bags. I’m a smaller guy at 5’8 with smaller hands and even I have trouble getting stuff out of smaller bags I’ve made. I should learn my lesson, but I’ve pretty much erred on the smaller side for every bag I’ve made – including several copies of the Lyman bag. Boy, that one is difficult to get your hand in.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2018, 08:24:52 PM »

Eventually I’ll have a matching set.  I know have 1 completed bag 3 that I haven’t completed. The double bags and bags with a gusset seem to be what I like mostly.  Were double bags made with gussets?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 08:29:32 PM by Afghanvet »

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2018, 12:53:07 PM »
Finish the bag like it mattered, because it does. 

Yesterday I parked my shoebench at the Jacobsburg Faire over here in Pa.,  Don't you know some guy walks over, starts a long conversation and, midway through one of his questions, I notice he is toting one of the simple, low cost bags I have made for newby's and placed on consignment at Dixons.  I asked him about it, not letting him in on my secret, and he commences to sing its praises because it was exactly what he was looking for.

Within thirty minutes I spotted three of the five bags I placed at Dixons, a knife and sheath and a pair of shoecassins ( thats's Mocassin where I build it up a little and add a flip-flop inner sole because our footsies need more support as we get older) on folks walking around that I did not get to meet.

That surprised me, because the only stuff I put in Dixons is stuff that I don't fancy or stuff that will contribute to the cost of the next project.  I won't make Sligo Bill or James Rogers level of bag and market only to newby's and people on strict budgets.  We need folks in this hobby and sport.  I am willing to trade profit for project flow the way a pilot trades altitude for speed.

Maybe turn that puppy into a belt bag, or a three shot hunting belt bag, and you provide somebody with a little bit of Christmas as long as you put sound construction into your project.

I told you that part so I could tell you this.  Minus horn and strap et al, that's the bag this gent adopted.  Even more surprising, the smoothbore rifle shown in the picture just turned up in the Track Of The Wolf  site.  Take a look at the critical and unflattering comments made about the gun.  They're justified, because I wanted to make the gun using only natural Daylight and one tool with more than one working part, namely my drill.  It was the second  gun I built where my skills were, at best, at an apprentice level.  I probably advanced to mediocrity with subsequent projects having less gaps or tool marks, and stand by my statement that there is a reason shoemakers make shoes and rifle makers make rifles.  I will never equal the quality of the makers today, but am convinced that neither would the masters of old

It drives tacks, I finished in the upper third of the trail walk I shot it in, and was utterly flabbergasted when Chuck Dixon showed me originals with file and tool marks, gaps, and carving that was not as good as mine.

I lost about a hundred bucks on this gun, but somebody with a budget got his value and moved it again because flipping stuff rules.  The door is always open to any shoes, bags, guns and whatever that I make where an end user is dissatisfied .

So, knock off the criticism and see that bag for the really nice piece it is.  Put your heart into whatever you make, and it will bring value.

Don't shoot yore eye out, kid
The Capgun Kid
AKA The Still River Cordwainer

Steve Patterson

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2018, 11:32:46 PM »
I sure do love you guys.

Finish the bag like it mattered, because it does. 

So, knock off the criticism and see that bag for the really nice piece it is.  Put your heart into whatever you make, and it will bring

Offline ChipK

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2018, 05:55:31 AM »
Yep, been there and done that.  i opened up the sides of the bag and restitched it without having the seam folded under.  It gave me about half an inch wider bag which made a big difference.  To cover up the repair I added an extra strip of leather that I fringed.  Now it is one of my favorite bags because I know how I fixed a boo boo in design.