Author Topic: 60 caliber rifle barrel ball size???  (Read 1373 times)

Offline Bill Wilde

• Starting Member
60 caliber rifle barrel ball size???
« on: October 21, 2018, 04:31:05 AM »
Greetings all. I Have a 60 caliber rifle. I've used a large ball with a light (cotton bed sheet) patch and have not have good results. However, one time, years ago a friend on the range suggested I use a smaller ball with a heavy material patch. I did and the rifle and me shot much better!!. For the life of me I can't remember the caliber size he handed to me that day. Any help? What works best with others that shoot a 60 caliber rifle????? Thanks!

« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 04:41:29 AM by Bill Wilde »

Offline smylee grouch

Re: 60 caliber rifle barrel ball size???
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 05:09:10 AM »
I would call some place like Track of the Wolf and see what size balls they have in the 585-590 range and try them. If they work with a thicker patch you can get a mold made up of that size. Try all cotton 20/1000 thick patching with tracks mink oil lube for starters. JMHO

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 05:37:41 AM »
I shoot a .60 cal. and agree with SG. Also look down at the earlier post by plateboater.  May not always be true but my Getz .60 cal. barrels seem a little undersize. May just be an impression.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 05:43:12 AM »
1/.st thing for me would be to measure the bore and groove diameter.

I would then determine what size ball and thickness of patch I needed to reach the bottom of the grooves.

2/.nd would be to select a mould that cast the size ball I needed - likely from Buffalo Arms, or Track or some

other outfit - if odd size needed I'd look no further than Jeff Tanner moulds.  Jeff's widow and son could use the business.

Then varying loads from about 85gr.2F lightest up to about 140gr.2F  for highest in determining the most accurate loads for that barrel & rifle - for

hunting and target. Hunting with oiled or greased patch, water based for target shooting. Note oiled or greased patches will

likely not shoot to the same POI as water based lubes.

With a good combination for hunting or target, you should not have to wipe between shots - or after 3, 5 or 25- UNLESS - there is a long time between your shots, like 5 to 10 minutes or more.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 05:49:07 AM »
Mine likes a .595 ball, and a .020" patch.
In His grip,

Dane

Plateboater

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 05:55:22 AM »
My 60 likes a .595 with .20    I have .590 and played with patches.   For now I stick with .595. Practice and be patient.    I have spent several days working loads.    It is a process.   

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 05:57:57 AM »
Both these guys recommendations are spot-on for a typical .60, that has a .600" bore.
Standard of .005" smaller than the bore and a .020" Denim or ticking patch.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V