Author Topic: Pan brush  (Read 1918 times)

Offline msellers

Pan brush
« on: October 23, 2018, 08:53:00 AM »
All,

I made this pan brush for a member on here, now i am looking for some feedback, as it is the first I have made for anyone else. It is made from home turned whitetail antler tine from KS, and found wild horse tail from NV wound and dry set with linen thread. I haven't made an attachment ring for it, because I am not entirely sure how to make a correct one. Hope I am not off to far in the look and HC departments, am learning more as I go here.

Mike

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
Re: Pan brush
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 03:28:16 PM »
It looks great.  I just ordered some nice brass chains to hang the three things I use most often from my strap. 

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 08:07:13 PM »
Looks nice but for people with large hands or fingers the handle might be a bit short and small - otherwise it is a nice item. ;) 8)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 10:33:25 PM »
Looks good. 
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline msellers

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 02:44:18 AM »
Looks nice but for people with large hands or fingers the handle might be a bit short and small - otherwise it is a nice item. ;) 8)
I thought about that a bunch, but tried it as I went makes for an easy hold in my size 13 meat hook hands. The middle ridge makes it hold well. Might be a different story wearing gloves, will have to try it and see.
Mike

Offline msellers

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 02:33:51 AM »
I thought about that a bunch, but tried it as I went makes for an easy hold in my size 13 meat hook hands. The middle ridge makes it hold well. Might be a different story wearing gloves, will have to try it and see.
Mike
All,
I feel I owe everyone here and especially P.W. an apology for my snark reply to his honest feedback and critique of my work as I had asked. I hope all is well with everyone, and thank you to a who replied offering feedback.
Mike

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 07:33:02 PM »
Looks a nice job, Mike.

Maybe a ring -screw screwed in the top so's to attach to a lanyard?  (Like a curtain hook but closed up)

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 06:16:21 AM »
I've made and used quit a few. It's best to keep the bristles short so they will be stiffer. Soft bristles won't clean as well as stiff ones will. I personally like tampeco(however it's spelled) fibers. They are the stiffest natural fibers that I have found for pan brushes. If you can find boar hair they may be stiffer than horse hair. Old pan brushes are all over on the length of "handle" body. I think yours looks fine and make a loop for it however you want. All the old ones I've seen were brass body or wrapped with what looked like raw hide or thread, I think I may have seen one with an iron body also.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 01:28:12 AM »
I've got a long history with horse tails and manes. Personally I don't think either source will be stiff enough. Not for me anyway. If all you are going to  do is brush out dry powder grains it should work well.
American horses of Arabian descent.