Author Topic: Southern Belle rifle  (Read 4170 times)

Offline WElliott

• member 2
Re: Southern Belle rifle
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2018, 03:50:51 AM »
If any of you talented gunsmiths decide to make a copy of the Southern Belle rifle, I would love to see it!  I see many contemporary artists understandably emulating Pennsylvania, or  occasionally  Virginia, guns. And, of course, a number make  of iron mounted Tennessee type rifles.  It wiuld be interesting to see work inspired by Wiley Higgins.  Several years ago, Louie Parker made a great interpretation of Wiley Higgins’ silver mounted pistol “Precious.”  If anyone decides to try a Higgins style  longrifle, I would be glad go help with any photos or dimensions that I have access to.
Wayne Elliott

Offline Sawfiler

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2018, 04:25:12 AM »
PM sent!!
Wish I enjoyed what makes my living
Did what I do with a willin' hand
Some would run, ah, but that ain't like me
So I just dream and keep on bein' the way I am

Offline RobertS

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2018, 06:24:05 PM »
Here's another reference I found online regarding this rifle:  https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/08/ashley-hlebinsky/southern-belle-american-longrifle/

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2018, 06:51:33 PM »
The truth about guns website inaccurately implies the inlay on this gun is a patchbox, which it is not.

Hungry Horse

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2018, 06:59:49 AM »
That website also incorrectly states that the Southern Belle rifle was made in “Macon, Georgia”. The maker, Wikey G. Higgins never wirked in the Macon, which is in Bibb County.  Wiley worked in Monroe County Georgia until about 1838, when he moved to Macon COUNTY, Georgia. He would have made the Southern Belle rifle during his time in Monroe County. This may seem insignificant, but sloppy reporting (especially by  by museums) too quickly becomes accepted fact.   
Wayne Elliott

Offline RobertS

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2018, 08:50:18 PM »
Great catches, both of you, and I should have caught the error about the inlay being referred to as a patchbox.  Thank you for your vigilance.