Author Topic: Christian's Spring Rifle  (Read 5649 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Christian's Spring Rifle
« on: October 26, 2018, 12:54:04 AM »
This represents an earlier Oerter rifle, it has a bit of swelling at the rear ram rod pipe and an early style Christian's Spring trigger guard. 38" .50 cal. swamped Colerain "C" weight barrel. Curly maple stock. Zornes lock, Davis triggers. Locally cast mounts, home brewed pipes and nose cap. 8ft of brass wire and 5 1/2ft of sterling silver wire. Weighs 8 1/2 lbs. Trigger pull about 13 7/8". Fun gun to build! Any comments or questions are welcome as usual.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 12:56:25 AM by Mike Brooks »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Christian's Spring Rifle
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 12:58:52 AM »
Whoa Mike!!  Home run buddy.  That is fabulous and stunning.  I like every bit of it. 
dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Online Stoner creek

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 01:36:14 AM »
We’re not going to let you retire.
Great job buddy!!
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 01:44:35 AM »
Well done, Mike!

I've been waiting for you to post pictures of it, and it was worth the wait.  I think you captured Oerter very well there.  Nailed it, I'd say. 

Cheers,
Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline Algae

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 02:00:23 AM »
You just keep knocking 'em out of the park!!

Excellent work, Mike!

Al J.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 02:09:27 AM »
Thanks! I just figured out if you click on the pics they get much bigger....probably everyone else new that except me though... ::)
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 04:03:11 AM »
Super nice. You done good on that one. Make a person want  a CS rifle.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 04:33:01 AM »
Fine and classy build.
Andover, Vermont

Online BOB HILL

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 03:43:24 PM »
Another fine one, Mike. Thanks for sharing.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 04:35:50 PM »
I ought to mention a few things. I used Kibler's tannic acid and ferric nitrate on this stock, super stuff, love the results. Maybe he could be one of my sponsors and he could have my old '89 painted with his business logo or something? Kinda like NASCAR, only for old beat up farm trucks. ;D
 The wrist on this gun is taller than wide and progressively so with the step toe. Weird to do when I'm used to doing wrists as wide horizontal ovals....but not as weird as those diamond shaped Lehigh wrists! You'll notice the skinny Oerter style box lid, only 1 1/4" wide and straight, no taper on top, but the slider does have a little taper so it doesn't stick. I used a 7/8" Forestner bit to hog out the box cavity. This gun was originally going to have one of the CS coffin lidded side slammer dog headed boxes on it, got it all filed up and ready to go then chickened out as it takes a flat spot on the stock around 2+ inches wide, couldn't figure out how to do it with the shape of this k5 BP so I chickened out. Got it figured out now though so next time I know what to do.
BTW, the Zornes lock is a surprisingly good sparker.

n stephenson

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 04:39:31 PM »
Mike, Great Work! I like it all! I really like that big ole brass star! Oerter would be proud! Good Job!   Nate

Offline cable

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2018, 08:56:35 PM »
just amazing ....superb in every way.

and it looks like it WANTS  to go hunting !

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2018, 10:36:30 PM »
It definitely made me drool on my keyboard; but I do that anyway.

All seriousness aside, the rifle is stunning and about as elegant as they get.  Masterful job, Mike.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline blienemann

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2018, 12:15:19 AM »
Herr Brooks,

In 1762 the shop charged for "stocking a gun in the best manner", and this might be that rifle - or another one just a little bit later!  Did you sign her MICH'L:BROOKS.CH:SPRING.2018-?  I've been fortunate to handle a few of his rifles, and you would have been welcome in Oerter's shop (if you play an instrument and clean up your living a bit?)

There's no shop at Christian's Spring anymore, but there is a fine new smithy rebuilt in Bethlehem, with blacksmiths on one side, and Kliest the locksmith with Albrecht the gunstocker set up on the other side.  Nice long bench under windows overlooking Monocacy Creek - the same stream flowed through C's Spring down to Bethlehem.  Maybe you should lead a group of us to set up there for a few days and bring that old shop alive again?  Many of us are too old and beat up to stock a rifle in a weekend, but we could sure talk to folks and tell stories while someone makes dust on the floor.  What you think?  We could get Mr. Gordon to come down and try his hand, too!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2018, 12:53:04 AM »
I could work in a shop like that! Would be a fun weekend, probably much more talking than working I would guess. ;)

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2018, 02:46:33 AM »
That blacksmith shop and gun smith is WAAAY to clean!
So yeah, a bunch of us should go over there to "work", and clutter up the place a bit with sawdust and planning curls.  Big tub of coal for the forge.  Rusty old barrels sticking out of a barrel.
'Tis a fine looking building!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2018, 02:54:15 AM »
Mike, You certainly captured Oerter's style and did a fine job(as usual) on that gun.  I really like the buttplate.  Did you create the mold to have it cast?  If so, you did real well.  I am struggling currently to locate a CS buttplate for a moravian fowler I am building.  Very well done!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2018, 04:37:51 PM »
Mike, You certainly captured Oerter's style and did a fine job(as usual) on that gun.  I really like the buttplate.  Did you create the mold to have it cast?  If so, you did real well.  I am struggling currently to locate a CS buttplate for a moravian fowler I am building.  Very well done!
The pattern I used as the master  is the old K5 buttplate. I filed the 5 flats and wedding band on top and modified the heel quite a bit. Which Moravian fowler are you doing, I might have something that will work for you.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2018, 05:16:45 PM »
love the architecture and finish on your rifle Mike. Would love to take her hunting. Fine work sir.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2018, 05:27:55 PM »
  Mike for a Iowa chicken farmer. You just keep adding to the eye candy on hear !!!?
 Another outstanding firearm from your talented hands..! Oldtravler

Offline alex e.

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2018, 02:21:03 AM »
Nice gun Mike.
As always, I enjoy seeing your work
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline Daryl

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2018, 03:30:50 AM »
That my friends is a rifle that should be shot - a lot.
As a hunting rifle, it likely has the best ergonomics of the flint-lock era "American" rifles.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2018, 05:16:06 AM »
Very nice indeed Mike!! Are you tired of doing wire inlay now or more so, laying it out?
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2018, 04:06:46 PM »
Very nice indeed Mike!! Are you tired of doing wire inlay now or more so, laying it out?
I'm in the groove now....pun intended. ;D I have a lot more wired guns planned in the future. I haven't thoroughly finished exploring Oerter's work yet, will take at least 2 more guns to be satisfied with him. This Oerter style of wire work is fairly relaxing to do,  none of it winds up too tight like Euro work does. Gotta do a couple with his big side slapper coffin lid boxes yet.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2018, 05:47:52 AM »
Nailed it!

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell