Author Topic: Antique Flintlock Blunderbuss Coach Gun (Mid 18th C)  (Read 2355 times)

Offline ajcraig

• Starting Member
Antique Flintlock Blunderbuss Coach Gun (Mid 18th C)
« on: October 26, 2018, 11:40:33 PM »
I have no interest in the gun listed in Ebay below, but I am curious if anyone can better identify the origin of this gun.  I wonder if it might be a military musketoon and not a private blunderbuss.  Cheers, Alex

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Flintlock-Blunderbuss-Coach-Gun-Mid-18th-C-NON-FIRING-For-Display/273520637116

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Antique Flintlock Blunderbuss Coach Gun (Mid 18th C)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 12:15:51 AM »
The stamping on the lock, and the barrel proofs look like Copies of British proofs, possibly From India. The workmanship is course.

Hungry Horse

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 12:43:42 AM »
The lock mark looks very Islamic.  At least based on the photos it appears to have some genuine age.  The lock looks an awful lot like it was patterned after a U.S. Model 1816 musket complete with a detachable brass pan.  It's a moderately interesting piece but as noted, not of very high quality.  Not that I have a dog in the hunt as it were but I wouldn't give $500 for it...which I see someone has already committed to!

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 01:08:36 AM »
It's much more likely the lock is patterned on the French Model 1777 or the model of the year IX - which is what the American musket is a copy of.

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 03:04:58 AM »
There ya' go.  Considering the part of the world that blunderbuss might be from, French as opposed to American influence makes more sense.

Offline Howard

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 12:58:30 AM »
This is some of the stuff that is being offered from a company in New Jersey.  They purchased a ton of this stuff over in Nepal.  I have seen lots of it & quite a bit of it is pretty rough.  I imagine this person had buyers remorse & now for sale.  This is just my opinion.

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 08:43:59 PM »
It's also more like the first quarter of the 19th-century than mid-18th.

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 11:11:05 PM »
Ah...yes.  That would be IMA (International Military Antiques).  Their web site is interesting but often their prices are out of line - not always, but often enough.  I forget the details but they bought out some old Nepalese armory that was loaded with muskets, rifles, cannon, etc. dating from the late 18th to late 19th century.  A few gems here and there for sure but yes, a lot of it was in really rough shape.

Offline Goo

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 04:35:03 AM »
Tertious ne quidquam Florida habeat fiduciam
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Offline ajcraig

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 08:41:09 PM »
Please sit down before you read the following: The gun sold for $1,285.

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 11:15:42 PM »
Well okie dokie then!  To each his own I suppose.  Is Ebay slacking on their supposed "no firearms" rules?  I've seen recent listings (no buyers) on two fully operational WWI German flare guns.  Ebay used to delete those kinds of things within hours.

Offline Howard

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 11:21:34 PM »
When this person finds out that he paid the 1,200 for this little gem & realizes what he has done he will be sick.  However I wish I had one to sell him.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2018, 04:02:16 PM »
There is a video on youtube of the IMA acquisition, 41 tons of stuff if I remember right. Anything from cannons and swords to firearms from the past to the present.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2018, 10:56:07 PM »
From the you tube video it looks like someone in the future will do what they did in Nepal!
Mark
Mark

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 10:15:14 PM »
Where old army stuff goes . . . . to just fade away....
If they still made cars from steel, this would be a few Ford or Dodge truck hoods.  Looks like some old army was dis-armed, for sure!
Some of the locks look like they might still be serviceable.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2018, 05:55:41 PM »
Craig,

A lot of this stuff was very good quality, and made for the VEIC.  (East India Company)
Such guns were made in the UK and inspected at every stage , and bear London proofs.

When you mention some "old army disarmed"  you are pretty near the mark!
Towards the end of the Indian Mutiny, many mutineers fled up into Nepal, and were there disarmed but otherwise not detained by those allied to Britain.

These arms were inventoried and used by Nepal.  Such is the case for most of the EIC percussion musket models.
These muskets have a Very interesting history, and are usually still serviceable.
They are marked , often by known inspectors, and are date coded so we know what year each part was made. As time permits, I will show you one of mine.

Must add, that not All arms from the Old Palace are British;
Some are all Nepalese made and not quite up to snuff, but as these are mostly of certain types, there is little confusion as to which is which.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2018, 01:49:02 AM »
Richard, dearly wish I could go through all that and pick out a very decent British rifle.  I am sure that, somewhere in their piles, are some worth keeping.  Back when the British Empire was still world wide, they had some very decent arms that were left behind when the BA left, as in India and Nepal.
Britain very rarely, if ever, stinted on the quality of the weapons they used, and that were also used by their "native" citizens.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.