Author Topic: Ramrod molding  (Read 2123 times)

bnail

Ramrod molding
« on: October 28, 2018, 07:34:50 PM »
What is the best way to cut good straight molding along the ramrod?
I have this image of rather pronounced molding in certain rifles but cannot seem to find any example.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Ramrod molding
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 08:06:06 PM »
I let the barrel pins protrude enough to support a long straight edge.  Then I use a knife to incise a line along the straight edge, or draw a line and cut it with a parting chisel.  From there, you can add a second line, or create a bead rather than an incised line, or remove stock above or below the line to make a molding. or....
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 08:09:46 PM »
I strike a line and then use a tool checkering tool that is designed to straighten checkering mistakes. Generally not pronounced, many/most originals are less than or about 1/32". Some folks use a scratch stock to scrape in complex moldings...never could figure out how that works. ???
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 08:44:21 PM »
I draw the lines in pencil as best I can freehand and then cut them in with a Sloyd knife that has all but about 1/2" of the tip of the edge ground off.   It is just a little rounded tip at the end of the blade.   I roll/walk that tip down the long lines.   I use that tool for cutting in all my moulding or long lines.   The tool is also used for the initial cuts up to the stab-ins of relief carving and to remove carving background.   I is probably my most used carving tool these days.   

That is what I use for one of a kind moulding or moulding where I can't use a scratch stock.   A lot of my Virginia guns have the same forearm moulding and I use a scratch stock to cut those.   You can make a scratch stock for complex mouldings or mouldings that you will repeat a lot. 

You can see my tools here:  http://www.markelliottva.com/wordpress/2016/02/cutting-mouldings/
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 08:47:58 PM by Mark Elliott »

Offline flehto

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 09:03:21 PM »
I use a tool that is illustrated in Buchele's book and it has saved a lot of time in establishing the incised line of the molding on both sides of the RR groove.  A 1/2 " wide chisel clears the wood for the molding to stand in relief and then a round file concaves the surface of the molding or it can be left flat. This tool has cut many  moldings , but has to have a facility to put the cutter on both ends of the tool....otherwise long lengths  can't be cut. The rod rides in the RR groove  and some compensation has to be made w/ swamped bls...not a big deal.....Fred

« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 09:17:14 PM by flehto »

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 12:04:11 AM »
I use a scratch stock tool I made.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

bnail

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 12:23:57 AM »
I use a scratch stock tool I made.

-Ron
Thats the molding i was invisioning.  And what i would like to eventually put on a rifle.  Is that a southern trait?

Offline M. E. Pering

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 02:46:19 AM »
I simply draw a line (don't even use a straightedge, just rest my finger in the ramrod channel and use it to guide me), then take my pocket knife and walk it up the line to keep it straight.  Then I relieve the background with a chisel, and use a small riffler file to clean it up.  And since my moldings are concave, I then take a small gouge and start a little depression in the center of the molding.  I follow this with a broken piece of chainsaw file to get the shape and depth I am looking for.  Takes me about 30-45 minutes per side using this method.

M. E. Pering

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 05:29:03 AM »
Thats the molding i was invisioning.  And what i would like to eventually put on a rifle.  Is that a southern trait?

I don't know.  That's just the moulding shape I liked.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline EC121

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 06:57:41 AM »
I use this to make a line.  Then enlarge it to whatever I want.  It might also make a scratchstock with a little modification.

Brice Stultz

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2018, 06:03:01 PM »
Forestock moldings vary widely. There are no trends so wide as Southern or Northern or Pennsylvania or Virginia.
Andover, Vermont