Author Topic: William Schreckengost  (Read 4583 times)

Offline snapper

William Schreckengost
« on: October 29, 2018, 03:48:17 AM »
December Rock Island Auction has a William Schreckengost rifle to be sold.

I know a couple of you fellows are fans.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/75/3154/william-schreckengost-signed-percussion-pennsylvania-long-rifle

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: William Schreckengost
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 05:12:58 AM »
I’m stunned. The signature is faked. Not his hand and misspelled Shreckengosh. Never thought I would see the day
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline snapper

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 02:13:34 PM »
I wonder if the spelling is on purpose?

It was not uncommon for some folks to make a minor change in a well known gun makers name to help market their products.  Belgium guns come to mind.

Fleener

Offline snapper

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 02:21:15 PM »
They do state:

William Schreckengost (1821-1894) is part of the extended line of Schreckengost (also spelled various other ways including Schreckengosh)

Has anyone seen this before or know if this is true?

Fleener

Offline Molly

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 03:05:08 PM »
So then is the S'mister claiming it is falsely represented?  Is it even"old"?    Is it in the "style of" the claimed maker?

Whatever... it is a pleasant looking firearm.  One might think it would carry a higher pre-auction estimate.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 07:02:46 PM »
Having examined nearly 80 Shreckengost rifles to date.  None are signed GOSH.  The various spellings are Shreckengost, Schreckengost,
Schrecengost, Schrecongost and Schreckengast (George's descendants).  Nobody ever put and GOSH on the end.  I've also never seen him
sign a barrel without his fleur de lis on both sides of the signature.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 07:06:50 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 07:21:43 PM »
So then is the S'mister claiming it is falsely represented?  Is it even"old"?    Is it in the "style of" the claimed maker?

Whatever... it is a pleasant looking firearm.  One might think it would carry a higher pre-auction estimate.

All of the elements are correct except the signature.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 07:23:22 PM »
They do state:

William Schreckengost (1821-1894) is part of the extended line of Schreckengost (also spelled various other ways including Schreckengosh)

Has anyone seen this before or know if this is true?

Fleener

I've been researching the family for 10 years and I've not seen a reference to gosh.  I would question it as an error if it's written somewhere.
This is still a nice gun.

Offline Molly

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 02:08:06 AM »
It's a dandy rifle! 

Paul E. Wog

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 03:27:20 PM »
Shreck built rifle...faked signature and engraving.
His son Levi was a horrendous speller, but , he NEVER misspelled his own name....just sayin ::)
Shreck ( NOT Meister ) ;D

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 10:30:45 PM »
This one turned out to be an auction sleeper.  It's a great example of his work.  Definitely made for sunday go shooting matches.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 03:37:57 PM »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2018, 11:56:50 PM »
This one turned out to be an auction sleeper.  It's a great example of his work.
I’m stunned. The signature is faked. Not his hand and misspelled Shreckengosh. Never thought I would see the day
Well then, please explain the faked "gosh"...….  ???
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2019, 01:27:29 AM »
 Yeah I just don’t care about that. It doesn’t take away anything from the rest of the work. I think they traced the original signature when they did it except for the very last letter.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 08:30:21 PM »
Interestingly, I just came across this document signed by William's son Lincoln and his T looks like an H.  Makes me wonder.

Offline OLUT

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2019, 09:10:34 PM »
Interestingly, I just came across this document signed by William's son Lincoln and his T looks like an H.  Makes me wonder.

Check the script of his writing of "Smith" at the top ..... apparently his "t" is different from his letter "h" , so no need to wonder

Brooks

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2019, 08:26:38 AM »
I wonder who got that one. Nice rifle.