Author Topic: how to do you carry your patches.  (Read 6594 times)

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
how to do you carry your patches.
« on: November 01, 2018, 12:39:09 AM »
This probably sounds like a pretty mundane question, but as I was setting up a new shooting bag I got to thinking, I have a container for my round balls, a horn for my powder, a measure on a lanyard and some spare flints and a screw driver in a pouch, but I always struggle with carrying precut patches.  Sometimes I just have them laying loose in my shooting pouch, sometimes I put them in a tin, but I always found my ways cumbersome so I thought I would post the question to the experts, "How do you carry your precut patches for shooting out of the pouch."
David

Joe S

Re: how to do you carry your patches.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 01:22:33 AM »
Dave - Look carefully on the butt of your rifle and you will find a box. Open the lid, and put your patches in there. They go under the Snickers bar.

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 01:31:19 AM »
What if you don't have that lid on your stock.......?
iloco

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 01:32:10 AM »
Dave,
I cut them at the muzzle, tie the strips to the bag strap.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 01:38:11 AM »
My patch boxes are too small for both a Snickers and patches; but I always carry a few in them along with a ball or two.  Primarily I carry lubed patches in a tin.  Muzzleloaders are slowpoke guns and I fit right in with them.  And since hunting is normally a one-shot deal and I don't have to worry about being attacked by Redcoats or Abenaki warriors, speed isn't a factor for me.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 02:24:58 AM »
The Leatherman Bag company who most know for their fine hunting bags, make a leather holster for tins of pellets for competitive air gun shooters. I have one and it fits a normal size tin or a Copenhagen can. If your belt is wide (like mine) I contacted them and they were happy to make wider loops at no charge. Much faster than digging in a bag and is quiet. Still keep lubed precut patches in my patch box.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 06:35:25 AM by MuskratMike »
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 02:39:18 AM »
Dave, For hunting and shooting at the range I have always cut my patches at the muzzle.

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 03:17:53 AM »
6 patched balls in a loading block and the rest in a tin in the pouch. Refill loading block as needed.

Bob

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 03:42:15 AM »
If I'm using pre-cut and lubed patches I keep them in a round brass snuff box by Ted Cash. If I'm using a strip and cutting at the muzzle I just hang the strip on my patch knife and lube with spit.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 03:44:41 AM »
I have at times used square cut pre lubed patches that were strung on a string through a corner, carried in my shooting bag with the other end of string tied to the bag strap. This for trail walks and it seemed to work OK for me.

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 04:52:26 AM »
I have at times used square cut pre lubed patches that were strung on a string through a corner, carried in my shooting bag with the other end of string tied to the bag strap. This for trail walks and it seemed to work OK for me.
Same here, works well!
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 05:44:59 AM »
I use strips of cloth.  I tie it to the ring on my bag and tuck it inside.
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 06:43:09 AM »
If I am using pre-cut patches I put them in a small pocket in my bag which sits right alongside another small pocket which carries RB's.  Hunting I load a n "oiled or dry lubed patch as my first shot and then keep two or three patches in my cheek if needed for a follow up shot.

On the range I keep a strip of ticking of the right thickness on my bag strap and spit and cut to fit each load.  I have also been known to carry a small 4 ball loading block from time to time hunting.

Your choice.  I shoot out of a bag all the time.  No range rods and loading boxes etc., save for sighting in process.......
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline bgf

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 07:23:40 AM »
I put precuts in genuine Crosman pellet tin, or cut at muzzle from pieces in my pouch.  I like the precuts on woodswalks best, but am often too cheap to buy them or too lazy/busy to make them.  When I use them, I take out a patch and moisten it in mouth while fishing ball out of my pill bottle container after dealing with the powder.  Very graceful and not clumsy at all :).

Actually, it is just not really a naturally intuitive process, no matter how you do it, but it gets easier as the shoot goes on, however you do it.  The patchbox is ironically the most inconvenient place to keep patches :).

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2018, 08:46:52 AM »
I've never used pre cut patches. I cut all my patches at the muzzle. A strip of patch material hung off the front bag strap can be very convenient. No fumbling in the bag or capbox, just place the end over the muzzle and start the ball, cut off your patch and just drop the strip. It's not going anywhere.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2018, 08:59:09 AM »
I was pre-cutting patches and using tins etc.  it’s much easier and less of a PITA to use a strip of material and cut it off at the muzzle.  I haven’t tried hanging it from my strap but after getting that tip from this thread will from now on.  My patch knife and sheath is also attached to the front strap making it work out well. 

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2018, 01:29:13 PM »
Leatherbark...6 patched balls in a loading block and the rest in a tin in the pouch. Refill loading block as needed.

I now build my bags with a double pouch outside the front wall that houses two loading blocks with enough ammo for a trail walk.  I can get away with loading the block up with cleaning fluid on the patches for each shot, obviously because I don't have to worry about climate and such with a wetted patch.  I like to swab after each five shots.

For my smoothbores I build the pouch on the inside of the back wall of the bag for gunked up wads and tight fitting roundball.  Not even sure what the gunk is, but it works.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2018, 04:49:49 PM »
I have always used one of those hinged flip top tins that Ted Ca$h makes. Quick and easy with the hinged lid.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2018, 04:50:34 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback.  I used to use strip patching and a patch knife.  After listening to you all I just might be persuaded to give using a strip of patch material a revisit for my latest setup.
David

Offline 45-110

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2018, 05:35:34 PM »
after reading all these posts for what seems to be a problem for some folks, i cannot understand why the "patchbox" is not the apparent solution? option #2 used by many shooters in the great lakes area is to string their pre-cut patches on a heavy thread hung from the bag strap.
kw

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2018, 08:17:42 PM »
I use both pre-cut round patches and also muzzle cut strip.  On my pouches, I sew a small pouch to the front of the bag and I carry dry patches there.  It is easy to select a single patch without looking.  When I want to use a pre-lubed pre-cut patch I soak my pre-cuts in my lube and place them in a Sucrets tin or4 the like, and place that in the same pouch.
Our resident champion smooth bore shooter carries his round pre-cuts on a heavy thread, knotted at the end, onto which he threads fifty or so patches.  This he has tied to the strap of his bag.  When he wants one, he simply takes the bottom patch and pulls if off the end of the thread.  I must try that too...looks easy.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2018, 09:12:47 PM »
after reading all these posts for what seems to be a problem for some folks, i cannot understand why the "patchbox" is not the apparent solution? option #2 used by many shooters in the great lakes area is to string their pre-cut patches on a heavy thread hung from the bag strap.
kw

This is how Norm hangs his pre-cuts.
Pulls off the bottom one and sticks it in his mouth.
85gr. 2F in a 20 bore smoothbore - unbeatable on the trail.
Good with shot as well.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2018, 09:22:16 PM »
... cannot understand why the "patchbox" is not the apparent solution?
... you mean other than my fowler that doesn’t have a patch box, that is?
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline bgf

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2018, 11:59:55 PM »
kw

Just my perspective, but if you are going out hunting for the day, a few balls and some patching in the patchbox makes sense.  In a group with many shots, turning the rifle up, swinging the muzzle around (safely!) to grab a patch is a drag.  If it's working for you, that's great; maybe I'm doing it wrong.

It is interesting to me that early rifles have patchboxes while later ones have cap boxes...I know they still used patches,  so why did they switch the function to cap storage :).

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2018, 02:21:10 AM »
Since my muzzles are coned, (it’s genetic, I was born that way) I use precut patches on a linen thread (like already mentioned). Simple overhand knot on the end.  Quick yank pulls a patch free to be lubed with bear grease, deer tallow or mink grease (all made from real bear, deer and mink)  or even fake sperm whale oil (or other slick stuff of your choice).
Patch box holds a hank of tow and worm although after an interesting discussion with Mr. Gusler this past summer, I may have to try and hold my grease in the box. Yank off a patch and give it a swipe through the patch box... or is it really a grease box? 😲
Others’ mileage may vary.
Regards