Author Topic: Fowler refrences  (Read 1672 times)

Offline Mauser06

Fowler refrences
« on: January 24, 2019, 02:24:00 AM »
A future build is going to be a Fowler.  I want something for wing shooting. I was told an English Fowler is the way to go. 

Before ordering a barrel and plank, I figured it'd be best to figure out what some historically correct designs are. 

Any good reference material to look at for building a Fowler???   

Thanx!

Joe S

Re: Fowler refrences
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 02:49:03 AM »
Great British Gunmakers 1740-90 by Neal and Back, and the recent tutorial on ALR by Smart Dog.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 04:36:05 AM »
If you just scroll down the page a little you would find this:
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=52646.0

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 08:41:25 AM »
Thanx Dave!  I did see most of those as they were being posted and will definitely be beneficial. 

I'm looking for something like RCA or similar.  Barrels that were used, furniture, overall architecture etc. 

I guess I was slightly ignorant too...I didn't realize British and English Fowler are one in the same.  Kind of assumed they were different. 

Grinslade's book is often recommended too...I looked at what I could find on content and seen British but not English guns. 

I don't know that I can/will get as technical as Dave to reproduce all the finer details... mostly after shootability.  I'd like to actually hunt rabbits and grouse and pheasant and the like with it. 

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 02:09:50 PM »
reference materials on British fowling guns are all out of print and very expensive. I'd use Dave's tutorial as a guide. Plain English fowling guns have the same architectural base as the full dressers so his information will be excellent for any grade of gun you may want to build. For a good bird gun fit is important.

As an alternative, you may want to build a later 1/2 stock English gun. I made one for myself many years ago and hunted birds with it. It had a 12 bore 37" barrel. It handled like a modern shotgun. I have also owned several original 1/2 stock guns and have hunted with them. Again they handle like a modern gun. But, I like the look of a full stock gun much better.

I hope to build a bird gun in the next year for myself, I'm planning on a  full stock gun with a 40" barrel in 14 bore (already have the barrel) with a little jug as I don't have a dog to hunt over anymore. If you want a dedicated wing shooting gun with a full stock I'd go  with a barrel 36" to 46" and 16 to 10 bore with a jug. Look for a "griffin" style barrel, large breeched fast taper and light. English walnut would be nice, but a good piece of American black walnut would be fine too. Don't make it out of maple, it's an eye sore. You don't have to have a standing breech and keys....nice, but not needed. Go with Chambers early Ketland lock, probably the fastest large lock on the market.

Once you get it built go shoot a bunch of trap and skeet with it. Once you can hit most of your clays you're ready to go hunting. ;D
 If you have any more questions let them rip.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 03:12:05 PM »
Thanks Mike for the endorsement. Mauser, did you look at the threads labeled "Understanding British Fowling Guns Parts 1-4"?  In those are drawings and dimensions, hardware specs, barrels, etc for 2 original classic English fowlers.  There are no books like the RCAs for British guns except George Neumann's "Battle Weapons of the American Revolution"  has a few British fowlers, commercial, and officers fusils that may help.  The books "Of Sorts for Provincials" by Mullins and "A Soldier Like Way" by Gale also show details of some British fowlers.  However, there is nothing in print that I am aware of that features the details I show in "Understanding British Fowling Guns" and I will be adding a third fowler to that group fairly soon.  I do not believe any of the American-made British-style fowlers shown in Grinslade will help you very much getting the architecture right.  The architectures shown are mostly clumsy interpretations of British styling and lack the elegance of the fowlers I describe.   

dave 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 03:29:29 PM by smart dog »
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 08:52:01 PM »
Thanx Mike and Dave! 

Mike, I think I'd like a full stock as well.   That was some of my questions... appropriate barrel dimensions and lengths and lock. Octagon, round, octagon to round...

Dave, I did look at those.  They will be very helpful.  I just wasn't sure what else was available reference wise.    It'll be my 2nd or 3rd plank build...I'm learning that good reference stuff is very valuable.  Was just seeing what else I should get my hands on to help me along.

I will read over those posts a few times and see what questions I may have.  Basically right now I'm looking to decide on the lock stock and barrel so I can find a stock and barrel and get that ball rolling.  I like to keep a barrel in a plank ready so I'm not waiting on parts with nothing in the vise. 

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 11:00:56 PM »
I was going to reply, but between Mike and Smart Dog Dave, They have it all covered and left nothing to add I reckon!

Wonderful, to have blokes like this under one roof, so to speak.

R.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 12:58:27 AM »
 This 11 bore H.Wahl is the epitome of a single bl. fowler at it's prime.
I won a trap shoot and placed 2nd in a round ball gong shoot with this gun.
The breech on tis gun is quite massive, almost 1.3" across the flats.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 05:15:37 PM »
Interesting thread guys. I have a 16 gauge, 36” octagon/round Ed Rayl barrel I picked up from Old Traveler, and a Chambers Colonial lock, that I’m planning to put in some local black walnut. This barrel is pretty big in the breech, at 1.25”.  I’ll have it jugged to something like a modified choke, my intentions are to use it on everything from turkey to tree rats.

Right now my plan is a frontier re-stock of salvaged parts, following basic English architecture, with possibly hand forged hardware.  Of course, plans can change...

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 05:22:55 PM »
Interesting thread guys. I have a 16 gauge, 36” octagon/round Ed Rayl barrel I picked up from Old Traveler, and a Chambers Colonial lock, that I’m planning to put in some local black walnut. This barrel is pretty big in the breech, at 1.25”.  I’ll have it jugged to something like a modified choke, my intentions are to use it on everything from turkey to tree rats.

Right now my plan is a frontier re-stock of salvaged parts, following basic English architecture, with possibly hand forged hardware.  Of course, plans can change...

Greg

Greg, IIRC I used to own that barrel. That big breech is an asset. If I had kept it (along with thr other hoarde of barrels my wife will have to rid herself of at my estate sale) I would have taken the front of that octagon to 16 sides on the visible flats to look like an earlier barrel (seen frequently on English fowling pieces). There is plenty of meat for that and it will look sharp.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 05:52:29 PM »
James, seems Mike mentioned he had got this barrel from you. I was thinking of knocking those corners off as well...I think it makes a nicer transition. I’d be interested in any thoughts you might have on a composite or frontier build on this barrel/lock combination.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 06:12:46 PM »
James and Greg,

You might want to knock those corners off a bit, but fine English guns can also be found with octagonal going to round with no in- between's as well.
Choice is yours!  :-)

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 06:24:15 PM »
James and Greg,

You might want to knock those corners off a bit, but fine English guns can also be found with octagonal going to round with no in- between's as well.
Choice is yours!  :-)

Pukka, you are quite right that many use the traditional Spanish pattern but this particular barrel can stand some meat removed there, hence the recommendation;  )

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2019, 06:26:19 PM »
James, seems Mike mentioned he had got this barrel from you. I was thinking of knocking those corners off as well...I think it makes a nicer transition. I’d be interested in any thoughts you might have on a composite or frontier build on this barrel/lock combination.

Greg

I'll give it some thought.... my first thought at your mention of a frontier stocking would be no buttplate, rounded nicely and a strap iron guard

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2019, 08:13:50 PM »
Thanks James, I was sorta thinking along those lines.  We’ll see what happens as I get closer to starting this one.

Richard, I just happened to have the barrel standing in a corner by my computer desk, so here are a couple photos.

Greg