Author Topic: Building a Gillespie Rifle cal 50  (Read 11594 times)

Offline runastav

Re: Building a Gillespie Rifle cal 50
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2018, 12:59:09 PM »
Hi all! And Craig Wilcox yes I do ;) Lock inletted, With one Lock screw like Dennis say. And I must thank Dennis for all information so far in my trying to build this Gillespie rifle as correct as possible!

Runar

short funny published poems

tupac analysis

Offline runastav

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2018, 07:31:01 PM »
Hi Guys! So its the set trigger, beginn With the triggerplate the EASY way ;)You see the trigger holes is of senter from the lock plate why I think Dennis must explane  :)
Runar

Offline runastav

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2018, 01:08:53 PM »
Hi All! Dennis think the triggers are filed from flat thick iron not forged. We found a errol/missing part on the originaltriggers I try to copy Sharp-sighted will see it ;) Make the triggers from 6mm plate.
Runar

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2018, 03:44:19 PM »
Coming along nicely indeed!  And I see you penciled in the missing screw.
Yesterday was our "Thanksgiving Day", which dates back to the 17th century.  Do you have such a day in Norway?  It is giving thanks for all the good things in our life, and traditionally we bake a turkey.  We had about 30-35 people at my daughter's house, lots of grand children and great grand children for me to play around with.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline runastav

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2018, 05:57:42 PM »
Hi all, and thank you Craig Wilcox! No we dont have this day here in Norway, but we have taken after you the Black Friday today! The wife been out all day shopping phhuuu. Yes you right missing setscrew, but one more impoten part is the missing bit on the front trigger for just this screw ;)So I have to make a new front trigger when we discover it.
Runar

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2018, 08:52:41 PM »
Now Runar, you know how much you love to tinker with things like this set trigger system.  So you get to have a wee bit more fun making another trigger.  If you hated doing the work, you would have stuck in a Davis trigger already made!

I do get a kick out of seeing you "cut" the piece out with your 1/16" drill bit.  If you are a bit ham-handed (clumsy) like me, you must buy them by the dozen!

Be good, and perhaps Sinter Klaus will come visit!!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline runastav

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2018, 01:14:14 PM »
Hi Guys! and thank you Craig Wilcox! Lotts of filing on that triggers, I use a broken RB mainspring for the master spring and cut from a clock spring (Thank you Norleif) for the front trigger.Folks, when inlett how long from the sear will you have the front trigger on this set trigger?
Runar

ammonium sulphate production

Offline runastav

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2018, 01:28:04 PM »
Hi All! Trigger inlet and it Works perfect ;)Sear between the triggers.
Runar

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2018, 04:05:18 PM »
Beautiful work on those triggers, they capture the Gillespie look perfectly! I regret not building mine from scratch.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline runastav

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2018, 07:31:50 PM »
Hi all! And thank you Greg! Triggergard in Place 2 Wood screws , very litle Place for triggerfinger
Runar

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2018, 01:21:51 AM »
Hi Runar,

<<<very litle Place for triggerfinger
Runar>>>

I was told by an oldtimer that the front trigger was pressed on the side of the trigger with the tip of the finger to release it.  I am guessing that this actually meant sideways and rearward pressure with the finger tip (45 degree angle pressure?).  With that motion, you wouldn't need much room in the trigger guard.  I don't press the trigger that way, but I do release the front trigger with just the tip of my index finger. Not much pressure is needed. 
Great job on the triggers!   God Bless, and best wishes,   Marc

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2018, 07:39:01 AM »
Runar,
Sorry I misunderstood your question about finger room. Marcruger is correct about the front trigger. Its my understanding that these rifles were made that way to keep a person from jerking the front trigger. The are meant to be fired by the side of the index finger. I have seen them where you could not physically get you finger through the guard due to closeness of the front trigger to the trigger guard bow. Try firing it with the side of your index finger tip.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Daryl

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2018, 10:17:10 PM »
Interesting, Dennis. That is how I operate the set trigger on my .36 cal. rat rifle.
 It is so finely set, one must be VERY careful.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline runastav

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2018, 01:08:41 PM »
Hi and thank you guys! Butt plate , LOP 13-1/2"   drop heel 3-5/8" Yes I know I take a shortcut ;)
Runar

alumina vs aluminum oxide

Offline runastav

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2018, 02:52:59 PM »
Hi Guys! I rough shape the Stock after photos, is there anything I must change to get it more Gillespie style?
Runar

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2018, 04:27:16 PM »
Runar,
Looks like you have done a fine job on this rifle. The drawing you used was made from  an original rifle by Harvey Gillespie Harvey used grease holes on some rifles and not on others so you might consider adding an oval grease hole. One thing we did not discuss is the unique stamps most of the Gillespies used in their barrels. If interested in these let me know and I will send photos.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2018, 04:29:27 PM »
Oops, forgot to ask if you wish to use a side plate or washer.
Dennis

Offline runastav

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2018, 05:48:41 PM »
Thank you Dennis! Yes, please send me innformation  about oval grease hole, stamps, sideplate and we take the forestock at last.Was the ramrodpipes pinned or bent innside under the barrel? A german wheellock rifle I made  years ago from a original they are bent inside ;)
Runar

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2018, 11:26:46 PM »
Coming along nicely, Runar.  I was surprised that you wrote the heel drop in inches, instead of millimeters!  88.9 mm, I think!
Really liking your attention to detail - and Dennis is a great advisor for you.
Craig Wilcox

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2018, 02:52:07 AM »
Thank you Dennis! Yes, please send me innformation  about oval grease hole, stamps, sideplate and we take the forestock at last.Was the ramrodpipes pinned or bent innside under the barrel? A german wheellock rifle I made  years ago from a original they are bent inside ;)
Runar
Runar,
Will get the photos to you tomorrow, the pipes were pinned.
Dennis

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2018, 08:12:37 AM »
The rifle is looking great, Runar! Nice job on the triggers also.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline runastav

« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2018, 03:17:29 PM »
Hi All! And thank you folks!Craig Wilcoks, all books and etc I have is in English see the yeardstick laying on my nice cleane bench it have both inches and mm ;)
the toeplate.
Runar

names of michael jackson's children

Offline runastav

« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2018, 04:32:27 PM »
Hi All! Oval grease hole
Runar

symbol for nitrate

Offline dogcreek

« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2018, 09:13:45 PM »
Great build and great pictures, Runar!

Offline runastav

« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2018, 02:00:49 PM »
Hi all! and thank you dogcreek! Half moon sideplate ;)
Runar

aluminum sulfate in food