Author Topic: Screw tip powder horn  (Read 4114 times)

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
Screw tip powder horn
« on: November 03, 2018, 09:55:06 AM »
This is my first attempt at making a powder horn.  I’m following Tim Crosby’s tutorial.  I have the horn tapped and I’m measuring for the collar and tip.  How long are the tips? Are they  normally the size of a standard drill bit?   I’m using a honkin whitetail deer rack to make the collar and tip and I’m barely going to be able to make the collar fit.  It looks like the base of the rack is the best piece for the collar.  The big buck population must have been hurtin in PA when they were pumping out screw tip horns.

Offline Nordnecker

Re: Screw tip powder horn
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 02:36:15 PM »
I've only made one screw tip horn so take this for what it's worth. Deer antler has a pith. It is softer and has more pores on the inside. The outside "rind" is smooth and tough. By the time you shape down the piece that you show, you'll be in the pith. Maybe this is how it was done. I honestly don't know.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 02:36:54 PM »
 Antler will work for a tip but most screw tips you see have Horn tips. You have to be careful with antler, if it is dry or Pithy it will not thread well, you need a good solid piece of Antler. With internal threads as you are doing, I would start the threaded part of the tip at about 1 1/4", taper it so the die will start easier, once threaded cut it down to about 1/2-3/4". Slightly taper/round the lip so it will start in to the horn easier. Once threads are cut on both you can trim the Horn to get a good fit, put a little Magic marker on the edge of the tip screw it in and remove the Black marks, go slow. Goes a little better if you work the horn down to final or close to final shape. So far it looks good but I would reconsider the Antler, leave it for a future project like a Southern Banded horn. Are you thinking about a collar? Do you have a particular style horn in mind? That will help you determine the length.
 My best advice on Screw Tips would be to get a copy of Art DeCamp's wonderful book:
 Pennsylvania : Horns of the Trade" Screw-tip Powder Horns and Their Architecure 

Tim
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 04:02:07 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 05:58:52 PM »
Thanks Tim and Nordnecker for the advice . I had no idea.   I’ll use horn instead of antler.  My goal is to have a Northampton horn to match my rifle and pouch.   I have several pictures that I’m referencing.   I’ve been looking at purchasing the book.  With the bag,   I got knee deep in it before getting the bag  book. I’m a little slow and hard headed.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 07:08:41 PM »
 Great choice of style, lots of neat Butt designs. What size Tap did you use? Need any help just email or PM me.

Tim
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 07:09:48 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 07:31:45 PM »
Thanks again Tim. I used 5/8.  I read somewhere online that 5/8 was not correct for the horn I’m making.  That’s what I had in the garage.   Just one more question for now.  So you end up using one horn for the powder, a different one for the tip piece and if you want a band,  possibly another horn for the band?   So there’s a possibility of having three horns wrapped up in one?

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 09:41:59 PM »
Thanks again Tim. I used 5/8.  I read somewhere online that 5/8 was not correct for the horn I’m making.  That’s what I had in the garage.   Just one more question for now.  So you end up using one horn for the powder, a different one for the tip piece and if you want a band,  possibly another horn for the band?   So there’s a possibility of having three horns wrapped up in one?

Short answer, yes but you can buy just tips. Most times I am able to get the tip and the collar out of the same raw tip. I've probably got a chunk that would work for a collar around, I will send it if you want.

Tim 

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 09:50:54 PM »
Thanks for the offer.  I have an extra horn and a couple pieces that I bought at the CRA show. I still haven’t received my lathe or pen mandrel yet.  This is going to be one expensive tip and collar after investing in the tools.  :o

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 11:29:39 PM »
Afghan,
Here's one from Art DeCamp.  A true Lehigh Valley style horn with a turned spout.

In His grip,

Dane

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 01:25:21 AM »
That is exactly what I’m after smallpatch.   That’s a beauty.  I’m not going to use the lead mixture to make the spots.  I could probably get someone to mix up the potion but I don’t want to deal with the chemicals.  I might try the madder root mixture, dye or stains.  That is a nice horn.

Mike
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 12:50:57 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 12:28:00 AM »
It really is a beauty, the spout is horn, 2 piece and threaded.
I'll try to get a photo for you.
Here they are.  Sorry for the poor photo quality.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 12:51:34 AM by Ky-Flinter »
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 01:28:20 AM »
Thanks for those.  I’m right beside Huntington, WV. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 12:51:56 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 05:32:33 AM »
Bout your bedtime aint it Mike?hahaha.  Dave F 8) 8)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 12:52:30 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 03:42:23 PM »

These are some of my failed attempts at screw tips. You can see where the soft pith failed and ruined an otherwise decent tip. Best of luck with yours. My makeshift "pen mandrel" is just a piece of 1/4 all thread with 2 nuts and washers. I use a drill chuck in the headstock. The other end of the all thread has a divot for the tailstock center.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 03:53:04 PM by Nordnecker »
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2018, 05:51:49 PM »
I gotta say, you came out of the box at full speed. Your can-do approach is refreshing. Can’t wait to see what’s next.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2018, 10:30:02 PM »
Thanks Rich.  I'm waiting on the drill chuck for the lathe to be delivered.  Once I have that, I'll start on the screw tip.