Author Topic: A B C weight definition  (Read 1667 times)

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
A B C weight definition
« on: November 11, 2018, 01:44:47 PM »
For those of us who don't make professionally, or are new or have just hit their plateau in skill level, can one of you pro's define the weight differences in ABC in .50 and .54 calibers, 36", 38" or the 40's plus where the breech and muzzle are in different zip codes?

Is there some chart somewhere that defines it?

Thanks

Capgun

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
Re: A B C weight definition
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 02:58:58 PM »
Capgun    Go to Rice Barrel Co web site and all your questions will be answered, Colerain has alot of info on theirs also.Hope this helps.  Curt

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 04:03:34 PM »
When I was helping Bill Large,barrels were ordered by dimensions such as
a 1 inch by 40 inch and 50 caliber. No zip codes needed,only a tape measure.

Bob Roller

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 05:58:03 PM »
This chart has been up since I got involved:

http://colerainbarrel.com/barrel_diagram.html

And here's Jason's list of profiles:  http://ricebarrels.com/chart.html

Just one of the recipes here, there are variations on this theme, but a general idea is represented with this one:

all rights Colerain and or Rice BBL Co's.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 06:09:46 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 05:59:34 PM »
"Weights" actually refer to breech size:

A = 15/16"
B = 1"
C = 1 1/16"
D = 1 1/8"

The profile may be different between barrels of the same beech size - Rice, for example has different 45" barrels, the Allentown and the Southern Classic, and the Allentown has a smaller waist and tapers faster near the breech than does the Southern Classic. The Allentown will actually weigh less for a given "weight" than will the Southern Classic.

The A/B/C/D weight system worked well when pretty much all you had were the 37" Edward Marshall profile, the 38" Isaac Haines, and the standard 42" and 44" profiles that pretty much every company made with slight variations - you picked a length and a breech size, and that was it. People knew what you were talking about. Now that we have more profiles for a given barrel length, with significant differences in balance and actual weight for a given breech size, it has gotten a lot more confusing.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 01:25:42 PM »
Thanks guys.  Curt gave me the info I needed regarding where to look for relative weights.  The other info was really helpful.

Too bad I'm not good enough to do this for a living now that I have all this info.

On the other hand, you'll all need shoes....