Author Topic: Ideas on region of origin  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Ideas on region of origin
« on: November 08, 2018, 05:26:18 AM »
A friend picked this one up and asked me to help him figure out where it came from.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline wildcatter

Re: Ideas on region of origin
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 06:17:24 AM »
Rob,

I know a lot of people will point to Tennessee because of that lollipop tang, but that side plate and trigger guard sure remind me of upstate of SC.

Matt

You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 06:48:02 AM »
 :o :o :o.... the large inlay on the lock side of stock, on the cheek-rest and the side plate appear very light in color,... are they bone or light brass,...?? .... get a pic of the sights and muzzle end of barrel if you can,... also some specs,... interesting rifle,... !!! ...

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 06:53:12 AM »
No muzzle marks.  Interesting pipe filing.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 05:17:26 PM »
The elaborate ramrod pipes on the underib, looking to be iron, while the entry pipe appears to be of lesser quality, leads me to believe this is a repurposed barrel from another gun. If the tang is original to the barrel, both guns would likely have been Southern. The nosecap tang, and cheekpiece, all suggest Southern manufacture.

Hungry Horse

Offline OldSouthRelics

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 05:20:07 PM »
Very interesting rifle. I like the stamping around the site. That is quite a pronounced spur on the inside of the trigger guard, does the trigger rest against it when it is depressed fully?

I agree Southern, but I don't think NC. Tennessee is my first thought but perhaps I'm just taking it at face value and not looking deeper into the features.

I did notice the ramrod fittings with designs were iron as well but was maybe thinking they themselves were repurposed for the barrel when this Rifle was built, however it is probably more likely what Hungry Horse said, the barrel and fittings itself were repurposed.

Bob
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 05:26:27 PM by OldSouthRelics »

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 07:34:04 PM »
Other than the barrel, are you sure its really all that old?

Is the lock an old one? Have you looked inside the lock mortise?

John
John Robbins

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 09:13:16 PM »
Other than the barrel, are you sure its really all that old?

Is the lock an old one? Have you looked inside the lock mortise?

John

Yes I’m sure it’s all old.

animal offspring names