Author Topic: H. Ledford Rifle- What is it worth?  (Read 2631 times)

BallisticExpansion

H. Ledford Rifle- What is it worth?
« on: November 20, 2018, 04:59:26 PM »
Hello all. I have a H. Ledford marked percussion cap rifle/musket that I am trying to get an idea of it's value and a good place to find buyers. The rifle was part of my grandfathers collection and he passed away last year. He was never much of a firearms collector, but had purchased this to hang in his study on a deer. I'm not sure if he even knew it was from the 1800s time period. Anyway I was hoping that with the knowledge on this forum somebody could give me some more info on the rifle and it's value. I am located in North Georgia so if there is someone local (150mi) who I could take it to for appraisal or purchase any contact leads would be appreciated. I'm not really keen on the idea of shipping it. Also, is this what you would consider a Jamestown style rifle? I'm posting picture below. I'm not sure of the caliber. I will mic it when I get a chance. One thing I have noticed is the barrel is loose in the wood stock. Also, original cleaning rod is missing. I have more pictures if needed. Thanks in advance for helping a muzzle loading newbie.

Offline Hlbly

Re: H. Ledford Rifle- What is it worth?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 05:08:49 PM »
You have a very poor restock of what was once a very fine rifle. Value would be only what the parts are worth.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 05:15:07 PM »
Yep, very poorly done restock. Very little value now. Probably less than $500.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

BallisticExpansion

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 05:19:39 PM »
Well that's disappointing. What gives away that it's been restocked? Perhaps its better to hang back on the wall for decoration. Not sure where I could fit it on the wall though hahaha

BallisticExpansion

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 05:38:52 PM »
Yep, very poorly done restock. Very little value now. Probably less than $500.

See above post.

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 05:41:09 PM »
I wonder if it's a restock or a poorly done restoration with stock modifications. Looks like a repair around the tang. Looks like the cheekpiece was modified to get the larger eagle inlay in it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 05:43:37 PM by Clowdis »

Offline Hlbly

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 06:19:59 PM »
There is no way anyone could modify an original Henry Ledford stock to be that clubby and ugly.

BallisticExpansion

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 06:29:55 PM »
Why do people do this to firearms, specifically those with historical value!? I have a sporterized mauser and at least that had some practical reasons, but situations like this just make me mad. I guess I'll post is on a local forum for $500 and see what offers I get. Thanks guys.

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 07:28:00 AM »
Just my 2ct....
It was your grandfather´s and obviously it ment something to him.
Why sell it for low money instead of keeping it and the memory?
Kind regards from Germany, Chris

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 09:44:12 AM »
Why do people do this to firearms, specifically those with historical value!? situations like this just make me mad.

Well, you don't know the condition of the original stock, either.
It might have gotten broken in half, run over by a wagon wheel, stomped on by a horse, or who knows. But you can bet it was something serious or it would have been repaired in some manner. So the restock, as poor as it might seem, at least kept all the original parts together, even if the re-stocker wasn't a great gunsmith.

Without the restock, a trash heap would have likely been the resting place for all the parts.

John
John Robbins

BallisticExpansion

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 04:19:05 PM »
Just my 2ct....
It was your grandfather´s and obviously it ment something to him.
Why sell it for low money instead of keeping it and the memory?

I already own 4 of his firearms that have sentimental value AND practical value to me. To be honest I'm not a very sentimental person anyway. However, this wasn't a special rifle to him. He simply used it to decorate his deer study. Also I'm helping my grandmother to sell his collection, so it won't be money in my pocket anyway. Her choice. I am going to talk with her about it now that the value is much lower than expected. My Grandpa was quite the hoarder lol. One mans junk is another mans treasure eh?

BallisticExpansion

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 04:21:08 PM »
Why do people do this to firearms, specifically those with historical value!? situations like this just make me mad.

Well, you don't know the condition of the original stock, either.
It might have gotten broken in half, run over by a wagon wheel, stomped on by a horse, or who knows. But you can bet it was something serious or it would have been repaired in some manner. So the restock, as poor as it might seem, at least kept all the original parts together, even if the re-stocker wasn't a great gunsmith.

Without the restock, a trash heap would have likely been the resting place for all the parts.

John

Very true. With rifle this old things are bound to happen. I wonder how long ago it was restocked... Wish my grandpa was alive so I could ask about where he got it.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 08:02:13 PM »
If your Grandpa was handy with woodworking tools, he might have done it!
John Robbins