Author Topic: Selecting a builder for a Fusil de chasse.  (Read 2038 times)

Smokeycoat

Selecting a builder for a Fusil de chasse.
« on: November 08, 2018, 05:14:02 PM »
If anyone here has ordered a gun from John Donelson of Donelsoncustommuzzloaders please let me know how it worked out.  Did he deliver the gun within the estimated delivery time? Was he good to work with? How did your gun turn out?

I am also considering Clay Smith.

Any FIRST HAND knowledge that you can share about these builders is appreciated. Thanks.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Selecting a builder for a Fusil de chasse.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 05:17:04 PM »
The only one I'd go with is Alex Efremko for a French gun. He's the best there is at these. Do you want a De Chasse or a De Trait?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Smokeycoat

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 05:22:28 PM »
Thanks Mike. I want a fusil de chasse. Someone handed me their Track of the Wolf fusil and it shouldered well, albeit a tad muzzleheavy. 

How is Alex to work with? 

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 06:42:50 PM »
Thanks Mike. I want a fusil de chasse. Someone handed me their Track of the Wolf fusil and it shouldered well, albeit a tad muzzleheavy. 

How is Alex to work with?
I only have had contact with him socially on the net, Never met him in person nor has he ever built me a gun as I build for myself. Never heard anyone complain about his business practice. With the proper barrel a De Chasse will be very light, never muzzle heavy. Will probably weigh 6lbs or slightly less. TOTW sells a real clunker of a barrel they use for their kits. Alex is a member here. Here's his contact info, drop him a PM.
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=90
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 06:45:12 PM by Mike Brooks »
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 08:31:15 PM »
Agree on Alex’s work.
Andover, Vermont

Smokeycoat

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 09:02:37 PM »
Thank you for replying, Rich.

Could you elaborate on Alex a little? I've seen some photos of his guns. They LOOK nice. But, what's good about his work?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 09:06:55 PM »
Thank you for replying, Rich.

Could you elaborate on Alex a little? I've seen some photos of his guns. They LOOK nice. But, what's good about his work?
He does the most historically  accurate work available on these guns. He goes to great effort to make it so.

Smokeycoat

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 09:27:37 PM »
Thanks, Mike.
I sent him a message.

Smokeycoat

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 07:44:09 PM »
Thanks, Spinner.
Much appreciated.