Author Topic: Reading the frizzen  (Read 3678 times)

Offline Terry Reynolds

Reading the frizzen
« on: December 02, 2018, 09:34:30 PM »
Just got my trade gun finished and tried it for spark which was good but the marks left on the frizzen has me puzzled. It looks like it bounces on the flint by the looks on the scraps left on it.

My question is shouldn’t there be one continuous scrap mark down the frizzen?

aka “digger658”

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
Re: Reading the frizzen
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 09:38:11 PM »
Maybe it shouldn't be browned. Just a guess though. The guys who know will be along.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 10:21:11 PM »
After you shoot it a few times- like 500, it will be scraped all the way down.

If you watch Pletch's slo-mo flintlock firing videos you will likely see some bouncing that takes place with some locks.

The 'blunter' the angle, the more bounce.  Adjusting the flint in (shorter flint) a bit might reduce the bounce.

It isn't really bad, but I like to have the flint starting higher up than what it appears on your picture. 

Thus, would need to be further out than yours is.  The lock itself will help you figure out what IT wants.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Terry Reynolds

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 02:57:36 AM »
Maybe it shouldn't be browned. Just a guess though. The guys who know will be along.

OldMtnMan, that browning had to be from fumes or something else, I don’t brown the face. Still needs to be cleaned up. Thanks
aka “digger658”

Offline Terry Reynolds

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 02:59:30 AM »
After you shoot it a few times- like 500, it will be scraped all the way down.

If you watch Pletch's slo-mo flintlock firing videos you will likely see some bouncing that takes place with some locks.

The 'blunter' the angle, the more bounce.  Adjusting the flint in (shorter flint) a bit might reduce the bounce.

It isn't really bad, but I like to have the flint starting higher up than what it appears on your picture. 

Thus, would need to be further out than yours is.  The lock itself will help you figure out what IT wants.

Daryl, I’ll flip the flint and see what happens. Thanks
aka “digger658”

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 08:22:03 AM »
Before shooting and occasionally while shooting, wipe the frizzen face and top and bottom of the flint with alcohol. I wipe the pan also. This helps to remove any oil or fouling buildup that might cause the flint edge to bounce instead of digging in.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 08:23:30 AM »
Just don't let the flint strike too directly.  A strike of around 60 degrees (+ or -) is normally called for.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 02:06:52 AM »
Exactly- the blow should be a downward striking, scraping motion. Not, at a blunt angle, just as hanshi notes above.
Daryl

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 09:31:37 AM »
It appears from the photo that your flint is set a slight angle to the frizzen causing the left side to strike first. The flint face should strike the frizzen across the whole width for the maximum amount of sparks.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Black Jaque Janaviac

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 07:45:45 PM »
So when you describe the angle of strike are you basing this on the top side of the flint?  Or the bottom side? 

Whenever I've read this type of advice I've always looked at the angle from the top-side, which in my case is bevel-up.  This gives the impression that the strike angle is acute.  However if you look at the bottom of the flint (non-beveled) the angle looks pretty blunt.

Just curious how to interpret the advice to have a strike angle of 60°. 

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 07:51:19 PM »
Just imagine if you were holding the flint in your hand. How would you strike the frizzen with it to produce the best spark? Just like starting a fire

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 08:56:44 PM »
exactly
Daryl

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2018, 10:16:31 PM »
This is with a 7/8" flint.  The angle is definitely more blunt than if I were using it in my hand to start a fire.  The problem is, you can see that with 7/8" flint it is already striking 1/3 of the way down the frizzen. If I go much shorter I'll only scrape the bottom 1/2 or 1/3 of the frizzen. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 01:03:33 AM »
Yes - this is one reason there are different length cocks.
Daryl

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 01:21:48 AM »
OK.  So send the lock back to Chambers and they might be able to provide me with a cock of proper dimensions?

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2018, 06:27:50 AM »
Notch or cut oval in the leather so the flint moves all the way back to the jaw screw. Try a shorter flint bevel down too.
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2018, 02:26:14 AM »
Just shoot the thing .  I believe you'll be fine.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2018, 03:43:32 AM »
Just shoot the thing .  I believe you'll be fine.

Exactly
Andover, Vermont

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2018, 11:15:34 PM »
The angle of the flint edge looks fine to me.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline bgf

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2018, 02:39:47 AM »
I've always been told, read, heard, etc. that 2/3 of way up frizzen is ideal.  Makes sense as frizzen tapers toward top?  My late Ketland get a Flint bevel up to start, striking 1/2-2/3 up frizzen; when the Flint gets shorter, I turn the Flint over...   I do something similar with a Durs Egg, although it is more particular, and often I have to start with bevel down if the Flint is smaller than the full size "3/4(x1)"".  The late Ketland really works better for me with smaller 5/8x3/4 flints, which were originally recommended for it, though I also see 3/4x1 recommended for it now.

The marks on the frizzen are normal, even with some skip.  Eventually it will look like a washboard, and it will continue to work for a while after that.  When the frizzen gets some deep strike wear, I use s little sandpaper to smoothe it enough to keep the Flint from catching and breaking or hanging...

Just my limited experience...

Online MuskratMike

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2018, 03:53:44 AM »

Flint62 has the right idea. Your flint is not all the back in the leather, and since you appear to be using a fairly thick leather cut a notch in the back of the leather. Do these two things and I believe it will solve your problems.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2018, 11:14:33 AM »
There is no law on God's green earth that says you have to place the leather from the rear.  If you put the leather in from the side the back of the flint will rest against the cock screw.  No need to notch the leather that way.  Other than that I'd leave it as is and shoot it until it wears in.

Bob

Offline recurve

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2018, 05:58:19 PM »
If you want to increase the angle just cut some leather or a match stick and shim the rock(flint) to a sharper angle ( & flip the flint over)