Author Topic: Jacob Shaffer restock  (Read 1948 times)

Offline MGillman

Jacob Shaffer restock
« on: November 08, 2018, 10:17:33 PM »
I bought this restock from a friend. I am hoping to pick it up this weekend. Best signature of Jacob Shaffer I have ever seen on a barrel that is his. I will get better photos soon.

Offline MGillman

Re: Jacob Shaffer restock
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 04:18:38 AM »
Not sure yet. Shaffer is my ancestor and I must like buying just pieces of his guns. Here is another I own.

Offline bgf

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 01:35:11 AM »
That barrel signature is pristine!  Probably off a fancier rifle like the relic buttock (very nice by the way).  Shaffer didn't ring a bell at first, but I saw the relic buttock and thought Honaker/SW Va.  Turns out he is from Wythe county, where some of my family came from a couple of generations back.  Thanks for sharing both with us!

Offline GrampaJack

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 03:10:20 AM »
I my opinion that barrel and that butt stock should be reunited.  Clearly Jacob made them both and I'll bet he would approve. Jack

Offline MGillman

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 05:14:19 PM »
I my opinion that barrel and that butt stock should be reunited.  Clearly Jacob made them both and I'll bet he would approve. Jack

I don't think the tang on the buttstock will support the size of the barrel. I don't want to have the buttstock carved out to fit the current tang on the barrel either, but it is a great thought to put the two together.