Author Topic: Careful now, Mike Brooks and Wayne Estes are back - Kibler Kit Assembly Class  (Read 5235 times)

Offline snapper

Great videos Ethan.     Thanks Mike and Wayne for teaching these classes.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline MarkK

• Starting Member
Thanks to all involved with providing these videos .... primarily of course Mike, Wayne and Ethan. 

I do have a question regarding the fire blue finishing.  Can this same technique be used on a barrel?  If possible are there any negative reasons for trying it other than the longer (potentially much longer) time it would take. 

Since it was stated that the oil immersion is not needed for the process to work and the barrel would not have to be dunked.   

Currently working on the finish of a Kibler colonial rifle and am now considering using the technique for the steel parts.  Interested to know if the barrel can be included.  May not use it on the rifle but possibly a future pistol build?

MarkK

Offline Stoner creek

We actually torch blued the barrel on that gun in the class. Just make sure that you don’t go past that deep violet color. We left the barrel to air cool (it took a while). No need to quench in oil. It only took 25-30 minutes to torch blue the barrel. My only comment on torch bluing is that it is not as durable as other barrel finishes.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 04:27:52 PM by Stoner creek »
Stop Marxism in America

Offline MarkK

• Starting Member
Wayne,

Thank you for answering question, sharing additional information and removing that sick feeling that I was possibly asking a stupid question.   :o

MarkK

Offline scottmc

Ok, I just watched the video and ole 2ayne makes it look pretty easy with that checkering tool of his.  I've tried different things such as v parting tool and it's a little easier to mess up.  So Wayne, where'd you get that there checkering tool?  And dont tell us you made it🤣
Remember Paoli!

Offline Craig Wilcox

That checkering tool is called a "jointer".  Brownell's has their own line, but personally I like the one made by Gunline.

I used mine for years - it insures that your starting lines are nice and straight, as well as the border, if needed.  On longrifles, it makes a nice straight grove along the fore end or along the bottom of the stock parallel to that bottom line.  Eezy-peezy.

Unfortunately for you, Brownell's is currently out of stock on both their own AND Gunline's.  Their are other suppliers out there.  Somewhere.  Once in a great while, MidwayUSA has some checkering tools available,

I currently have an order in at Gunline for some scrapers.  They took the order and the money, when I checked Monday, they said they would "check on the order".  There are only two people there, you'd think he know if he made some scrapers or not.  Only credit cards, BTW - no PayPal.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline scottmc

Thanks for that info Craig.  I'll check it out.  I have a checkering tool but it has more of a diamond shape bevel to the edges than the tool that Wayne was using.
Remember Paoli!

Offline Stoner creek

Ok, I just watched the video and ole 2ayne makes it look pretty easy with that checkering tool of his.  I've tried different things such as v parting tool and it's a little easier to mess up.  So Wayne, where'd you get that there checkering tool?  And dont tell us you made it🤣
I can’t remember for sure. It’s been around here for a long time. Maybe Mountain State Muzzleloading or Log Cabin shop. It’s just a simple one line cutter.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline scottmc

Ok.  Thanks!  I'll be on the hunt for one.  Enjoyed your video.
Remember Paoli!

Offline MarkK

• Starting Member

I ended up using the fire blue method for the small parts but ended up used a blueing solution for the barrel.  Both methods came out a dark blue/black. 

Plan to use fire blue method for a barrel in the future if for no reason but to see if I can do it.   

Thanks again Wayne.

Offline Stoner creek

I didn’t mention this before and I’m not sure that it was mentioned in the video but I do not apply heat to the frizzen. I cold blue it so as not to interfere with the temper.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Daryl

Really good videos & very well explained during the various processes. ;D
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V