Author Topic: Sling Advice  (Read 1351 times)

Offline 120RIR

Sling Advice
« on: November 10, 2018, 10:13:39 PM »
Last year I picked up a bench copy of the so-called "Sister Rifle" of RCA 19 (look up that topic on the Antique Gun Collecting forum if you're not familiar with these rifles) .  It has sling swivels just like the original and I'd like to find out who makes the best, most authentic (in terms of materials at least since I doubt anything original exists) leather items and can make me a sling.  I have no interest in commercially-tanned leathers, chemical dyes, off-the-shelf buckles, or heavy adornment based on nothing but fantasy.  I'm looking for something one might expect to see on a ca. 1750 rifle from eastern Pennsylvania. Can anyone recommend "the best" out there?

Offline Ron Scott

Re: Sling Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 06:21:45 PM »
Kerry Beyers is making up slings for the Jaeger Rifles I build. She is using as a pattern an original 1750s linen sling from a Paul Poser Rifle. This is authentic as you are going to get. I plan to post details when the when the sling arrives and I can get photos. If you are interested I can PM you her contact info.

The sling will be green linen  that is woven to the same pattern as the original, with reinforced leather attachment pads and horn closure buttons for the ends.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 12:46:42 AM »
The one I got from TOW is on my smoothbore and looks good, if not P/C.

!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 01:19:59 AM »
Now that sounds like what I'm after...patterned after an original.  I'll contact you via PM.  Thanks!