Author Topic: Kibler's Colonial Kit - Starting Backwards - Completed  (Read 8368 times)

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
Kibler's Colonial Kit - Starting Backwards - Completed
« on: November 11, 2018, 08:53:37 PM »
I was playing around with my engraving, as it has been a while since I did any metal work, so I thought I would clean up and engrave the lock to my Kibler Colonial kit, well, things kind of just kept going, and now I guess I will have to build a rifle around the lock?  -  :D - Shipper's influence.

Jon

« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 10:31:49 PM by Kingsburyarms »

Offline Martin S.

Re: Kibler's Colonial Kit - Starting Backwards?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 09:24:31 PM »
Very nice!

Offline Kary

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 10:02:17 PM »
That's gonna have to be a heck of a rifle stock to match up to that fancy lock! I like it!!

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 10:39:47 PM »
Another touch of class to an already classy rifle I';m sure.   :) Thanks for sharing.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 10:49:51 PM »
Nicely done, you've turned into a very good engraver. Very "Schiperrs-esque". Over the top for Colonial American work. Belongs on something English or Continental. I guess you could always go with standard back up and call the gun  "Contemporary". ;)

When is that gun out of a plank going to get done? :P
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 11:04:49 PM by Mike Brooks »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 01:00:54 AM »
Can't be English Mike, you can see the seam where the Frizzen and pan meet. Nice job Jon!!!
Robin
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 01:07:24 AM »
  Jon very nice work. Robby your but pickin....lol   Oldtravler

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 01:20:29 AM »
Another thought.....Now the rest of the mounts are going to have to match the lock, then an equal amount of high end carving to match all the rest....TOO MUCH WORK! ;D
 I hope you got a stock that takes carving well...... ;)
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 02:25:21 AM »
Beautiful work, Jon.  I'm impressed!

Jim

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 03:45:08 AM »
I agree w/ Mr. Brooks, too much work ... send me the lock and a send you back a plain one ...
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 05:04:08 AM »
I reckon that is some dressy looking work on that lock.  I know you were smiling when you posted that picture.  A lot to be proud of there.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 05:40:58 PM »
I guess now that the Turkey is carved, I might as well start carving the Colonial Rifle stock. I added some wood to the bottom of the cheek piece to change the design a little,  Drawing and design are done, a Kibler, Schipper, Kingsbury mix.... Feedback always welcome..

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2018, 09:05:54 PM »
  Jon you are doing great..! Now a little wire work,barrel engraving,butt plate, the plate etc.
  Have no doubts this is going to be one gorgeous rifle.
  Oldtravler

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2018, 10:02:33 PM »
I agree w/ Mr. Brooks, too much work ... send me the lock and a send you back a plain one ...

Good one. ;D

Oh boy- that is going to be one special rifle.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 10:04:08 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mikeh

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2018, 04:58:03 PM »
Jon, my oh my! I don't know what else to say. Thats gonna be completely over the top. Can't wait to see it done.  Mikeh
Mikeh

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2018, 05:27:16 AM »
Looking great, Jon!  Can’t wait to see the final product, love the carving design!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2018, 05:37:42 AM »
Wonderful. Anxious to see it finished.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline snapper

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2018, 03:00:03 PM »
I cant even draw that nicely.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2018, 05:10:40 PM »
I don't like the way your carving connects together at the rear ram rod pipe, same thing for the tang. Look at the early Swiss/PA gun on AMartin's site, would flow much better and it's traditional as well. What you have now is cramped and will be very difficult to carve well. I'd come up with a better design for the box cover as well. The back of your cheek piece needs work too....study some original cheek pieces and notice how the rear blends into the stock.

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2018, 07:33:45 PM »
Mike... You promised me you would not hold back, please let me know how you really feel ....  ;D

Notes taken, I'll look at what I have but some of the carving has begun, so at least one of the horses left the barn....  ???

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2018, 07:45:16 PM »
Mike... You promised me you would not hold back, please let me know how you really feel ....  ;D

Notes taken, I'll look at what I have but some of the carving has begun, so at least one of the horses left the barn....  ???
I figured I was too late. ;) I still think you should reconsider the tang and rear ram pipe carving if you haven't got that far. Please keep in mind I'm never satisfied with my own work either, most folks always have room for improvement.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2018, 08:04:23 PM »
I was playing around with my engraving, as it has been a while since I did any metal work, so I thought I would clean up and engrave the lock to my Kibler Colonial kit, well, things kind of just kept going, and now I guess I will have to build a rifle around the lock?  -  :D - Shipper's influence.

Jon

SHOW OFF  ;D ;) 8) --- very nice indeed.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2018, 08:13:44 PM »

I figured I was too late. ;) I still think you should reconsider the tang and rear ram pipe carving if you haven't got that far. Please keep in mind I'm never satisfied with my own work either, most folks always have room for improvement.

I have tons of room for improvement -  :D That's why I like posting here, even if you just are a reader or look occasionally, ANY post and response can add to quality and accuracy.  Happy to have this forum and all it's contributors !!! -

Jon

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2018, 09:49:47 PM »
Thanks to Katherine and Jim - I got a set of waxes for all the "Brass" parts (For a swap in doing some computer networking and cable work in their shop) so now we have a solid Sterling silver set for the Colonial. I had the silver from long ago, and it needed a new home....still needs final cleaning up and polishing, but will be a different look... More to follow as the carving continues through the holidays... Engraving will continue as well...

Very best wishes and happy holidays to all,

Jon

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2018, 02:09:46 AM »
Hi Jon,
Boy O, the designs are beautiful and ambitious!!  It should be a great exhibition of your decorative skills.  With respect to designs, I have a few suggestions but they are only in line with my artistic tastes. I am not fond of the wide edge of the cheek piece.  My eye says make it half as wide.  Perhaps, look at making the carving around the nose of the comb more leaf-like and a little smaller. Even just a little smaller would make it look better to my eyes.  Jon, my wife, Gail, was a very great designer, and she taught me an incredible amount about filling space and paying attention to the "white spaces" between focal decorations.  In a sense, they are also part of the design, the relief your eyes get and the context that focuses the eye on where you want them to go.  With that in mind, I think the design in front of the cheek piece is too large and bold.  There is a lot going on in the wrist area and it does not need the big scrolls from the cheek piece.  A smaller, more compact design and one that dives lower relative to the beaver tail on the sideplate panel would look better IMO.  The design behind the cheek piece is very good, in fact, I used almost the same design on my "Star of Bethlehem" rifle, which was in turn inspired by a gun by Jim Kibler. Around the patch box, I would eliminate the outer design.  Keep the rest of the decorative border but eliminate the outside molding.  Make room to show off the wood after all the wood is not a blank canvas like a painter experiences.  It is an integral part of the design.  Good luck and I am looking forward to the finished gun.

dave   
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."