Author Topic: Pattern F VEIC Musket markings.  (Read 2015 times)

Offline Pukka Bundook

Pattern F VEIC Musket markings.
« on: November 12, 2018, 07:01:29 AM »
Gentlemen,

In the recent "Blunderbuss" thread, there was talk of the old arms rescued by IMA from the old Palace in Kathmandu, Nepal.
Here is an example of such, a very fine musket produced for the East India Company in the UK, showing the examiners and maker's marks and what they signify.
This musket was in the custody of the" Double D" at this time, but in trade for work, has been in my care for some years now.
Please see link;
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/britishmilitariaforums/fall-2011-bmf-ima-scavanger-hunt-an-eic-f-t13601.html

Please not the posts on both pages , By Bill Curtis RA, as he is quoting David Harding.
Best,
Richard.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 07:09:08 AM by Pukka Bundook »

Offline Craig Wilcox

Re: Pattern F VEIC Musket markings.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 06:49:18 PM »
That was an interesting, and educational, exchange between DD and his friends.  Nice example of a British musket.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 05:58:35 PM »
Craig,

You know, being able to tell exactly who made what and when, and all such, to me is very exciting, and adds an awful lot to the history.
 It looks as though we are in a minority though! LOL!
Compared to most military arms of this period, where all we can say is "A Pattern so -and -so musket "(or whatever)  I think these carefully marked pieces stand out as some of the most interesting.
Yes, I know this is a Longrifle forum, so not the best place to attach a link. ;)

The musket in question was issued in the Bengal district, and was carried by one of the  fleeing mutineers of the Indian Mutiny, (1856) into Nepal, where he was relieved of this musket and most likely  allowed to go his own way.
The butt-plate markings are Nepalese. The EIC in the Bengal district applied the markings to the buttstock.

Best regards,
Richard.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 07:09:19 AM »
See, Richard, learning or re-learning every day.  I had been aware of the uprising or mutiny of 1856, but it had gone into one of the dusty old files in my memory bank.  Used to read a lot of Kipling, and enjoyed it.  But, I enjoyed it too much, and wanted to share, so I gave that nice leather bound book, along with a good few others, to my precocious God daughter.  She grew up to become an historian, and always gave me full marks for furthering her education.  Of course she is much smarter than me!  Herr family moved to Rome for a few years, and gave her and her sisters a chance to learn Italian, and to appreciate older things.
The history of Great Britain has always fascinated me, especially when they had their far-flung Empire.  Defended by good British and Native soldiers in most of the areas, and always dependent on great weapons.  And it is those weapons that we love to either collect or emulate in and with our pastime of long rifles.
I still have LOTS to learn, so please keep teaching.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Howard

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 01:34:31 AM »
You're lucky that you got a decent one. My buddy bought two & they were in the scale that you wouldn't take them home as a gift if you had to look at them the rest of your life.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 02:14:40 AM »
Howard,

The Pattern D, E, and F's are the best , and pattern F is the best bet of these.
The P '53's are Nepalese made and V poor.  rotten stocks and bores. The M-H Mk 1V are usually V good, (but we don't mention them here!)
The flintlock Muskets are more or less parts.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 07:38:30 PM »
Richard, I have had, or do have, rifles from Civil War, Spanish-American War, and both World Wars - and Vietnam!

But - nothing from GB at all - and would love to have an early musket, flintlock - not percussion.  Where might I start looking?

Bear in mind that I am a crippled up old Vet - emphasis on the "old" part!

Work is progressing very slowly on the Rupp rifle, as it is hard to stand at the workbench for long.  But it DOES progress!  Made a good mess on the butt - the left side trigger pull length is about 1/4 to 3/8" shorter than the right side.  So, rasping off some of the right side.  It will come out all right, but is frustrating in the meantime!  Might send side plate and patch box to you for decoration!

Keep educating me.  It is rare indeed that anyone has died from knowing too much.
Craig Wilcox