Author Topic: How do add lube to your patch  (Read 6755 times)

Offline recurve

How do add lube to your patch
« on: November 12, 2018, 08:41:38 PM »
I cut at the barrel and use patching cut in strips . I rub on or melt the lube and spread on the strip how do you do it?

Offline Daryl

Re: How do add lube to your patch
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 10:17:18 PM »
Pre-cuts, pre-lubed in a tin for hunting.  Mostly pre-cuts, pre-lubed in tin for target or trail, but have used strips and spit.

Shove the end of the strip in my mouth- get it VERY wet, dump in the powder, lay the patch over the muzzle

- punch the ball into the muzzle, gather and cut off the material.

I do not use a strip for hunting. Too time consuming and don't like a lubed strip of cloth hanging somewhere. Stuff hanging off the

bag gets caught in the underbrush. A strip of cloth is not there when you want to reload- some where along your trail.  Greasy or

oily cloth in the bag musses up balls, makes them slippery when you do not want them to be, that is, cold fingers and slippery balls

do not work well together. :)
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

rfd

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 12:43:35 AM »
heat gun to melt in and fully saturate the patch cloth that's first been rubbed with lube (in my case, good ol' gato feo) ...

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 01:08:12 AM »
Strips of pillow ticking. I rub in Mink Oil on one side only. Then load into shooting boards. Cutting the patch material the same as cutting at the muzzle.

I do this for practice and hunting.

btw...The load is as tight as I can get in the bore.

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 11:24:00 PM »
I tear the ticking in strips roll them up and tie a string around and set them on edge in a little tin of bear oil warmed on the stove and let it wick it up. This will usually be too greasy with bear oil so I will then re roll it with a dry strip and they both get greased about right.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

rfd

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 11:32:38 PM »
i prefer using melted in gato feo for patch strips because that lube works well for me, and as a bonus it rolls up dry.

Offline Rodd.Boyer

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 12:42:01 AM »
I use the wife's  hair dryer.....  ssshhhh, don't tell her!  It takes a little longer than a heat gun, but works just fine!

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 10:15:19 PM »
I precut patches and lube them individually with mink oil; they are carried in a small tin.  At the range I lube them a few at a time as I shoot. 
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 06:11:26 AM »
heat gun to melt in and fully saturate the patch cloth that's first been rubbed with lube (in my case, good ol' gato feo) ...

What is gato feo?  Cat fat? Lots of fat cats in your wife's garden - enough to keep stocked up on fat?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 06:12:06 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline shootrj2003

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 07:31:41 AM »
I use GI cotton patches about 1"X1" and I started using "Burt's Bees" hand salve,comes in a 3" tin at price chopper ,and other grocery stores,it's all natural!pre-lube a bunch of patches with the salve even some real thin soft scrap goatskin ones leftover from projects I keep the patches right in the tin,the smell don't seem to bothe NY deer not real strong it's a mix of beeswax and other greasy stuff,works for me!and good for your skin.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 08:48:50 AM »
"Gato Feo" = Ugly Cat

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 07:17:12 PM »
Precut patches dipped in a small tin filled with venison tallow. I place the tin on top of a candle lantern, with a short candle. Super easy, and you can do it anywhere. Easy pleasey.

Hungry Horse

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2018, 07:54:22 PM »
Speaking of pre-cut patches. How PC are they?

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2018, 08:46:00 PM »
Why do you think they called em a patchbox? Precut greased patches would be my first guess.

Hungry Horse

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2018, 09:08:32 PM »
Why not patch strips? They fit in the patch box just fine.

Patch Material Box is not as catchy as Patch Box.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2018, 10:04:54 PM »
Okay.  What exactly is "ugly cat" lube??
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2018, 10:27:53 PM »
LOL - good thread! :)
Daryl

Offline recurve

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2018, 01:15:36 AM »
It is a combo of 1 part mutton tallow 1part caning  wax and  1/2 part bees wax  melted together in a double boiler &  poured into a container to cool .

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2018, 01:42:08 AM »
What! No cat in it?

rfd

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2018, 02:51:56 AM »
love me gato feo, a fabulous lube for all venues of real black powder firearms.  i used to use if for lubing bpcr/tr bullets but for the last few years i only paper patch, so i continue to use it as a traditional muzzleloader patch and wad lube. 

as mentioned, its a three part concoction (by weight, not volume) that's homogenized double boiler style.  the filtered beeswax and gulf canning wax are easy to get, not so these days for the mutton tallow that we used to get from DGW - no longer, though they claim it should again be available next year.  it's the tallow that does yeoman amount of lubing, the rest are "binders" more or less, where additions and subtractions can change the final density of the lube and yet still work exceedingly well. 

this lube is a 19th century firearm formula that was resurrected and redefined years ago by "mr. gato feto" and published his work with it on various firearms forums.

GATO FEO LUBE

by weight, double boiler melted ...

1 part mutton tallow (dixie gun works)
1 part paraffin canning wax (gulf)
1/2 part filtered beeswax

"but isn't paraffin canning wax a petroleum product"?

a chemist provided what seems a plausible answer:
PURE canning paraffin lacks the hydrocarbons found in other petroleum products.
apparently, these hydrocarbons are the offenders with black powder guns.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2018, 09:06:16 PM »
Why not just use the mutton tallow and forget all the stuff that plugs up your gun. I have added a pinch of bees wax to patch lube in the past, but wouldn’t even consider paraffin. Heck we’re making patch lube not candles.

Hungry Horse

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2018, 09:27:01 PM »
Good for shooting in the dark.

rfd

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2018, 09:27:46 PM »
Why not just use the mutton tallow and forget all the stuff that plugs up your gun. I have added a pinch of bees wax to patch lube in the past, but wouldn’t even consider paraffin. Heck we’re making patch lube not candles.

Hungry Horse

the short answer is because this FORMULA works well.  i've used straight tallows of mutton, beef and venison - none we as good for me as gato feo because the straight tallows were far too soft and gato feo is just the right "sticky" consistency for my muzzleloader (and bpcr) needs.

the long answer via gato feo hisself is ....

The old recipe I found only listed:
Tallow
Paraffin
Beeswax

No specifics beyond these were given.

The recipe was originally used by factories for bullets that were outside lubricated, as found on heeled bullets. The only heeled bullets loaded by factories today are the .22 Short, Long and Long Rifle, and the .32 Short Colt (occasionally loaded by Winchester).

I used the above recipe and assembled it with mutton tallow, canning paraffin and beeswax because it's what I had on hand when I found the old recipe.

I have a Marlin Model 1892 rifle that uses heeled bullets, which I cast myself. After using the lubricant with .32 Long Colt reloads, I decided to try it with felt wads for my cap and ball revolvers, and patches for my CVA Mountain Rifle in .50 caliber.

Doing so, I was impressed with the old recipe assembled with mutton tallow, canning paraffin and beeswax. I've also used it with black powder loads and lead bullets in my .44-40 and .45-70 rifles, as well as .45 Long Colt revolver.

I used very specific ingredients, but didn't change the ratio of 10/10/5 parts.

I first posted the recipe -- with mutton tallow, canning paraffin and beeswax -- about 1999 or 2000 on many message boards. Shortly after posting it, someone dubbed it "Gatofeo No. 1 Lubricant" and the name stuck.

Did the old factory recipe specify liquid or solid paraffin? I don't know. I suspect it was solid, because the lubricant must be sticky and solid, to stick to the bare, smooth lead of an outside-lubricated bullet not protected by the case. Only a very small portion of the bullet is inside the case -- the heel -- the rest of it is exposed to grit and lubricant wear-off while carried in pockets and game bags.

Modern .22 rimfire lubricant that covers the bullet is much harder and tenacious than the old factory recipe I found.
I suspect it's entirely wax of some type, with no grease or beeswax.

From what I've observed -- tiny teats on the point of the lead .22 bullet -- it's applied by dipping the completed cartridge upside down in melted wax up to where the bullet meets the brass case. Dipping in melted lubricant was the old method and is evidently still used today.

I know of liquid paraffin used for lamp fuel, but don't believe I've ever seen it. Perhaps I simply haven't recognized it.

Interestingly, one muzzleloading outfitter's site claims:
WARNING: Paraffin and other petroleum products can cause "Cook offs". It is neither fun nor healthy to have your musket unexpectedly fire while you are loading.

This is the first warning of this type I've seen, and I've been using black powder for nearly 40 years. I don't understand how a "cook-off" can be generated by paraffin. Does he mean it creates longer-lasting embers?

The age-old definition of "cook-off" means that the gun metal becomes so hot that the powder is ignited by this heat. This is a common problem in machine guns, and perhaps semi-autos fired quickly with a great deal of ammo, but in a black powder rifle?

The owner of the site clearly has a great deal of experience in black powder shooting, but i have to doubt this assertion. I've yet to hear of anyone experiencing unexpected ignition by using petroleum products. I and others have learned that most petroleum products, when used with black powder, create a hard, tarry fouling. Of this there is little doubt.

Canning paraffin lacks this characteristic. A chemist wrote me long ago that canning paraffin lacks the hydrocarbons that petroleum greases and oils contain. I don't know about this; I'm not a chemist, petroleum engineer or geologist. However, I DO know that I don't experience the hard, tarry fouling when using canning paraffin.

Whatever it lacks or possesses, it's clearly different from other petroleum products.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2018, 09:42:53 PM »
So, you feel the idea conical lube can also be the ideal patch lube with no changes to the formula?

rfd

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2018, 10:00:17 PM »
So, you feel the ideal conical lube can also be the ideal patch lube with no changes to the formula?

yep, at least for me.  been there and done that with an uberti saa.