Author Topic: How do add lube to your patch  (Read 6772 times)

Offline Daryl

Re: How do add lube to your patch
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2018, 10:01:02 PM »
Total agreement - almost, with Pete.  I've tried adding paraffin to lubes for the bullet shooters and found it inferior to just straight

beeswax/tallow (tried that once, worked fine) or beeswax/Vaseline.   Paraffin did not shoot well in my guns with black powder. I found

straight beeswax/Vaseline about as good as anything and better than most. At this point, not sure if it's better than SPG or not as that one

is also very good. For patch lube, straight Track's mink oil or Neetsfoot Oil are wonderful shooters & need no wiping with 'normal' loads,

thus,  I see no need to mix fancy lubes for a muzzle loading  round ball rifle, imho.  If shooting bullets, SPG works fine as well as the Vas/BW mix.

I used 60% BW, 40% Vas.  10 shots fired no wiping and sub 1/2" accuracy at 50 yards,  then went back to patched round ball without having to wipe the bore.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

rfd

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2018, 10:20:05 PM »
"vaseline" is a petroleum product, no?  yet you find no issues using it as a bp lube.

as the gato dude mentions in the paraphrase of a chemist, there are differences within the paraffin family.  besides using it with trad muzzy's, i used a LOT of gato feo with lubed bpcr .45-70 and .40-65 lead bullets, with thousands of rounds fired over a near decade period and never a paraffin bore fouling issue - because if there was, i dump ol' gato in a heart beat.

i use cotton patch strips with well melted in gato feo and never have to wipe the bore for bp or paraffin related fouling issues between shots, and my main long gun is a .62 smoothie that gets weekly use.  so i'm hooked on that dang crazy cat.  ymmv, it's all good.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2018, 09:30:13 PM »
No trouble with Vaseline mixed with Beeswax as a BP lube - it is/was as good as SPG in my bullet shooter, both ctg. and muzzleloading rifle with conicals.

The late Paul Mathews wrote it up in "The Paper Jacket" and I've been using it every since - that was late 1980's, seems to me, when I bought that little book.

This is now 30years later. My mix was 60:40, BW/Vas.

I didn't like the paraffin lubes and switched - much better results.  I did not mix up complicated lubes, just paraffin and oils, greases - got barely over MOA accuracy with

beeswax and Vaseline.

Daryl

rfd

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2018, 10:45:44 PM »
exactly, no bp burn issues with petroleum jelly nor paraffin wax. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2018, 06:18:48 AM »
I din't have burn issues, the inclusion of paraffin just didn't shoot as well as straight BW mixes, that's all.
Daryl