Author Topic: Round ball in motion pic  (Read 4462 times)

Offline hatman

Round ball in motion pic
« on: November 14, 2018, 09:09:46 AM »
A friend just sent me this picture of me in super slo-mo.  You can see the round ball (50 cal) out front.  :)
I just wanted to share it here as I love this site and although I'm relatively new to flintlocks I do love them so.
I've learned so much from you guys.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 09:11:51 AM by hatman »

Offline wattlebuster

Re: Round ball in motion pic
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 12:34:47 PM »
I see it. Thats cool
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 01:49:58 PM »
Very cool picture. Thank You.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Molly

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 03:44:03 PM »
Yes, it is "cool".  Also like the design of that firing line.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 03:54:51 PM »
 That dark round spot almost looks too cool to me. I was thinking it should look smaller at that range. 1/2 inch dia. at that range is hard for these old eyes to see, maybe that why my shooting has gone down hill so far,  ;D   :)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 08:47:41 PM »
That is pretty cool picture. Interesting the ball appears black, silhouetted against the back ground.

I've watched with binocs at times when shooting #13 target at our range. It used to be a fox silhouette, but not changed to a large heart. Range is 92yards, iirc.
With the binocs, twice I have seen balls from a smoothbore arc towards the target, spot-on, only to veer to one side or the other, or dive into the snow seemingly in the last 3 or 4 feet of travel.
Of course that is an optical illusion, as they veered in the last few yards as they seemingly took on a spin. My thoughts are more powder, more yardage before taking on the spin - seems to work.
It is a remarkable sight to see. The fellow shooting these was using a 20 bore, with a .600" ball and 65gr. 2F powder.  Watching Taylor's shot, with 85gr. of 2F powder, or Norm's shot with 85gr. 3F,  the balls travel in a straight line, no dipping or curving out to the side. Those two rarely miss such a large target.

The ability or inability to see the balls in flight, depends a lot on the lighting. Some days, it's easy, while others not so much.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 08:49:45 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 04:04:06 PM »
Daryl, the high humidity here in summer can really help see the ball travel. Looks like a little vapour trail  :)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 12:16:21 AM »
I've seen a rippling trail follow a projectile at our 1,000meter range. Really fun to see.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 12:16:47 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 12:26:09 AM »
Yes, that is a very cool picture.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Doc

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 12:03:18 AM »
Cool picture!! Must have been a nice camera with a fast shutter speed, cause that ball looks round to me (instead of a stretched out blurr)!!

Doc

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 03:56:00 AM »
A most excellent photo, and thank you for sharing it. 

Fowler610

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 10:21:56 PM »
Tap on the image to open it in the imgbb window because there's more detail to see.  The ball looks spherical in flight.  I'm seeing the patch flying full open about 1/2 of the way to the ball in the heavy smoke.  Plus all those latent sparks flying around from ignition.  Awesome image!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 10:35:55 PM by Fowler610 »

Offline kentuckyrifleman

• Central KY
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2018, 12:27:10 AM »
Great shot!

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2018, 03:36:52 AM »
This is a cool pic.  I'd suggest that the reason the ball looks round is that we are seeing it from almost behind the ball.  If the viewing angle was looking from the side, you may see an elongated ball. My experience is that a ball traveling 1000 fps requires a very fast flash or shutter speed to prevent an elongated ball. I tried for 6 months to get a photo of a patch separating from a ball.  Wasn't easy.
Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Sharpsman

• "There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2018, 06:05:07 AM »
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2018, 02:32:58 PM »
Great video.  Any idea of the frame rate of the camera?
Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2018, 10:44:34 PM »
Sharpsman - that was great!
Daryl

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2018, 02:38:48 AM »
Cool picture!! Must have been a nice camera with a fast shutter speed, cause that ball looks round to me (instead of a stretched out blurr)!!

Doc

Not shutter speed, the flash must have fired.  The flash will give super fast relative shutter speed equivalents.  That is how Mr. Edgerton took the famous photos of bullets going through apples and eggs.   https://americanart.si.edu/artwork/bullet-through-apple-32694  I found an article in popular science in 1984 on how to make a circuit to trip the flash when a a bullet breaks a wire.  By shooting in the dark and the shutter open.  I fired the rifle, held in a vice, to shoot the egg.  It worked like a charm.  I got several photos of eggs disintegrating with a bullet and yolk visible.  Very messy!

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2018, 03:22:44 AM »
I agree with everybody. A pretty cool picture. Was there a patch?

Offline hatman

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2018, 05:42:33 AM »
I'm happy you guys enjoyed the photo.
Yes, there was an .018 pillow ticking w/OC bear grease patch involved, but try as I might I can't see it in the photo.  :)
My friend who took the picture is a photographic expert whereas I'm a photographic moron, but I can pass on any technical questions anyone has.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2018, 05:50:07 AM »
Yeah, I was wondering too. Maybe it's in the ball of smoke?

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2018, 07:25:01 AM »
Sometimes the patch sticks to the ball for a good way.
If the ball looks a bit larger than it should, Maybe the patch is still with it?

(Using deer tallow lubed patches that sat in a loading block for Years, I had patches pretty near doing 100yards.
Accuracy suffered!)

Offline hatman

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2018, 08:37:55 AM »
Something I just noticed...
The frizzen doesn't look all the way forward yet all the fire and fury has happened.
Am I wrong?

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2018, 05:22:22 PM »

Not shutter speed, the flash must have fired.  The flash will give super fast relative shutter speed equivalents.  That is how Mr. Edgerton took the famous photos of bullets going through apples and eggs.   https://americanart.si.edu/artwork/bullet-through-apple-32694  I found an article in popular science in 1984 on how to make a circuit to trip the flash when a a bullet breaks a wire.  By shooting in the dark and the shutter open.  I fired the rifle, held in a vice, to shoot the egg.  It worked like a charm.  I got several photos of eggs disintegrating with a bullet and yolk visible.  Very messy!

I'm glad you mentioned the "open shutter/fast flash trick".  I have been a fan of Edgerton for years.  The apple photo you linked to is in a book of Edgerton/s that I own.  He had a lecture at MIT based on that photo called "How We Make Applesauce at MIT".

I used the same technique to get a photo of a patch separating from a fired round ball.  Here is a link to my attempts.  The lead photo is one of the best, but the article shows many failures.  The ending result was worth the work.
https://www.blackpowdermag.com/black-powder-photography/

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2018, 05:33:11 PM »
Really amazing photos. It's hard for me to wrap my head around how the ball is focused, but the sparks are a trail.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper