Author Topic: Round ball in motion pic  (Read 4457 times)

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Round ball in motion pic
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2018, 06:25:49 PM »
Absolutely fantastic work Larry. There is a lot of science involved with shooting a flintlock gun,. One of the reasons that it is so much fun.  Larry, you and The Mad Monk should be joining together for a book project about the science of the flintlock gun.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2018, 09:21:14 PM »
Amazing photography, Larry. Thank you so much!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2018, 07:01:16 AM »
Something I just noticed...
The frizzen doesn't look all the way forward yet all the fire and fury has happened.
Am I wrong?

I have been told that with a well tuned lock that a ball will exit the muzzle before the frizzen opens all the way...

It appears that bit of info has some truth to it.

Mike

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2018, 04:05:23 PM »
Something I just noticed...
The frizzen doesn't look all the way forward yet all the fire and fury has happened.
Am I wrong?

I have been told that with a well tuned lock that a ball will exit the muzzle before the frizzen opens all the way...

It appears that bit of info has some truth to it.

Mike

What is far more likely is that we're seeing the frizzen after it has rebounded. I have video of 80 or more locks taken at 5000 frames per second. Included in this set some of the best English locks from the early 1800's.  In none of those videos does the pan ignite before the flint completes it's motion.  In fact, in some cases the frizzen rebounds more that once before the pan ignites. In those 80+ videos there was only one lock whose frizzen did not rebound. In that case the man who held the lock for the video had his thumb pinched when the frizzen came to rest.

BTW, the fastest lock I ever timed was a Joseph Manton lock owned by Lynton McKenzie, (.0299 sec).  In another test with a highly tuned lock, the mechanical time was about 40% of total time, with the remaining 60% occuring after the mechanical time was complete and the sparks are in the priming powder.  I'm sure this varies from lock to lock and with the quality of the prime. In this case the priming powder was Goex 4fg. 

More information can be found at:https://www.blackpowdermag.com/category/videos/
Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2018, 07:10:11 PM »
I got my wires crossed on that info...

The adage was that the ball was exiting the barrel before the cock was finished falling...

Getting older I guess. Lol

Mike

Offline Black Jaque Janaviac

« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2018, 07:48:17 PM »
Is there a practical reason for extending the pergola that far beyond the shooting bench?  Sound muffling?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2018, 08:59:49 PM »
I got my wires crossed on that info...

The adage was that the ball was exiting the barrel before the cock was finished falling...

Getting older I guess. Lol

Mike

I don't think that is possible, Mike. I'd not believe that for a second. There is to much time used in actual ignition - watch some videos of Larry's - the cock is always all the way down BEFORE ignition takes place & the frizzen usually has bounced once or twice off the feather spring, as well.
Daryl

Offline Daryl

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2018, 09:01:58 PM »
Is there a practical reason for extending the pergola that far beyond the shooting bench?  Sound muffling?

Some ranges, or 'countries' require overhead baffling supposedly to prevent an accidental up-angled shot from leaving the area with enough powder to inflict damage.
That attempt was made by a government up here, some time back.  We put in the upright posts on one of the handguns ranges, but just didn't get around to putting up the rest of it.
Daryl