Author Topic: Recent Banded Horns  (Read 951 times)

Offline TN Longhunter

Recent Banded Horns
« on: November 14, 2018, 06:28:45 PM »
Lately I've been making more banded horns then other types. Here are two of the most recent.  One aged/dyed and the other left natural.  The aged one has a mulberry plug and a two piece anther tip.  The natural one has a Eastern Red Cedar plug and a two piece antler type.  Usually don't put this many bands on a horn but I guess I did because I can.  After looking at recent posts I think a Tansel horn is next.   

Don Spires
Tennessee Longhunters
Patron Life NRA
NMLRA
CLA

Offline Greg Pennell

Re: Recent Banded Horns
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 06:55:14 PM »
Don, those are both dandies!  I’d be hard pressed to pick a favorite between them.  I’m slowly gathering the tooling for my lathe to be able to start making some bands and tips...maybe soon!  I have the Sibley’s book on banded horns, can you recommend any more good references?

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline TN Longhunter

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 07:43:39 PM »
Sibley's book is the best print reference. There are also some articles in Muzzleloader on making banded horns. Also check Tim's posts in the tutorial section.  There might be some on youtube. WARNING; making these are habit forming.  I've been making horns for 40 years and the early ones were bad. But they worked.  Been making banded for the past five years and they are my favorites by far.
Don Spires
Tennessee Longhunters
Patron Life NRA
NMLRA
CLA

Offline dstock

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 06:18:24 AM »
Really nice horns. I like banded horns!
Doug
God Bless
God Bless