Author Topic: Tow  (Read 5419 times)

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
Re: Tow
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2018, 06:07:19 PM »
I agree compared to today they didn't care for the guns as we do. However, if the last time the gun was cleaned or used it wasn't oiled and sat for 100 years. It wouldn't look good.

I'm not even sure if it was oiled that it would protect for a century. I'm not sure. Just guessing.

Online Pukka Bundook

« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2018, 06:14:53 PM »
John,

You could make  a lot if you trained owls!

The balls in the above photo I found have short 'normal sprues.  Not long tails.

I also found in a later thread of Michael's, that he later thought that the short -cut tow must be for cleaning the pan, as the balls were made into cartridges, so no need of wadding.
It is sad I can't ask him further questions, like were extra balls carried in another pouch?   as if they Were, tow could be resorted to when the cartridges were expended.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2018, 10:10:00 PM »
What’s the benefit of using tow instead of running a few patches down the barrel?

Probably easier to wind up in the worm. Much easier to wrap around a ramrod end that is grooved similar to a jag. It can be washed and reused and then there is the historical aspect.
Psalms 144

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2018, 05:48:38 AM »
What’s the benefit of using tow instead of running a few patches down the barrel?

A lot of folks try to keep everything period correct... For personal satisfaction or if they're reenactors.

It's also pretty tough stuff that can be washed and reused.

Mike