Author Topic: Primitive hunts this fall?  (Read 2271 times)

Offline Clear Spring Armory

• Clear Spring Armory FaceBook Page
Primitive hunts this fall?
« on: November 19, 2018, 07:59:12 PM »
Any one else do any primitive hunts this year? Period clothes and everything. Lets see some pictures and hear some stories.

This is a month ago in Hoosier National Forest. Rifle is .32 back action I made for a charity raffle and had to try out before I had to set her free.

Offline Shovelbuck

Re: Primitive hunts this fall?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 05:39:15 AM »
Nice pic! Wish I had some pics from this fall to share but bad knees have forced me to give up hunting recently. :(
I don't hunt the hard way, I hunt a simpler way.

Offline alacran

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 12:54:56 PM »
Back in early October I was able to hunt with a good friend near Brazil IN. This was the first skwerl of the day. Way too many leaves on the trees so I used the old smoothie. We had a great time. Killed a few.

A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 04:29:25 PM »
I’ll be heading up to VT a week from FRI, where their muzzleloading deer season opens on SAT 01Dec. We’ll be setting up a canvas wall tent w/ wood stove in it and will hunt in period clothing out of the primitive/period camp.

I’ll be sure to post some pictures!
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 04:53:43 PM »
Used to be the only way I hunted, except for deer. Then I got too fat for my clothes..... ::)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

richs

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 09:17:48 PM »
It's going to be cold with a fair amount of snow on the ground.  I live in mid-coast Maine and we have 10" of snow on the ground.
Rich

Lobo

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 06:36:37 PM »
Hunting with "Ole Bull Knocker" my .62 Jaeger rifle. It's been makin meat for a lot of years.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 07:36:38 PM »
I'll be hunting primitive but i'm not the picture type. I don't even own a camera.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 11:15:28 PM »
Nice shot, Lobo!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 12:27:34 AM »
Primitive...heck I thought this would all be spears and knives and snares!   

Wadda I know?

Lookin' good in de woods, not practical for me just yet.
Hold to the Wind

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2018, 01:09:33 AM »
Wade...We won't stop you from using a spear.  ;D

Aim small and throw hard.

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2018, 02:18:13 AM »
I have but didn’t get good pictures. Went out yesterday, not totally PC but did wear my moccasins. I didn’t make meat though. I had one decent opportunity but I must be getting old. I waivered pulling trigger considering how far I would have to pack it out.
I wish we didn’t have the blaze orange law, kinda kills the mood.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2018, 11:55:55 AM »
OK, I am going to hunt with a cap lock this year due to my lack of skill with a flintlock and also the forecast is for rain/snow mix.

Is there anything special I should do when using a cap lock in the snow or rain?

Should I cover the muzzle maybe?

Cover the lock area?

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2018, 02:36:48 PM »
You shouldn’t cover muzzle. Patched ball should shield charge well enough. Try to keep lock area dry. Ages ago when I hunted with a percussion I would replace the cap once in a while in really wet weather. The percussion is not nearly as vulnerable to wet weather as a flintlock. Most trouble I had was failing to get flash channels dry of oil before loading.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline alacran

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2018, 02:37:37 PM »
Really like the orange cape. One of the things I dislike about hunting back east is having to wear hunter orange.  Good job Lobo. I think I will be making myself a cape like that.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2018, 06:33:53 PM »
I have but didn’t get good pictures. Went out yesterday, not totally PC but did wear my moccasins. I didn’t make meat though. I had one decent opportunity but I must be getting old. I waivered pulling trigger considering how far I would have to pack it out.
I wish we didn’t have the blaze orange law, kinda kills the mood.
This is what I use.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2018, 07:15:00 PM »
That wouldn't pass for blaze orange here in Colorado.

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2018, 11:08:36 PM »
Probably wouldn't technically pass anywhere, but the guy I bought it from was claiming they were blaze orange (I'm color blind). Besides, the DNR in Indiana is a pretty reasonable lot compared to horror stories I've heard from relatives in neighboring states. I've never had any trouble with it, but I don't recall ever seeing a CO in the field in my 25 yrs of hunting either.

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2018, 11:19:47 PM »
The blaze orange thing may be my bit of civil disobedience.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2018, 08:15:30 PM »
One of the things I dislike about hunting back east is having to wear hunter orange.
FWIW, while recommended, hunter orange is not mandatory in the VT muzzleloadongnseason or the late season “flintlock only” deer season in PA.

Most woods I hunt only have my friends & I in them, but all of us keep a 100% wool flo-orange Voyager hat with us & wear it whilst walking or maybe even still hunting, as there are thick sections of laurel around.

Personally, I also keep a flo-orange vest w/ me in the hunting haversack, that rolls up to next to nothing. If others are seen in the area, I wear it to & fro my morning/evening stand area(s).
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !