Author Topic: A Contemporary High Grade Trade Gun - Finally Finished!  (Read 4315 times)

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Re: A Contemporary High Grade Trade Gun - Finally Finished!
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2018, 08:19:00 AM »
I really appreciate all your kind words, guys.  They are most encouraging and make me want to run out to the shop and get to crackin' on building another gun!  Even though I have a couple going already!  :)

wow that looks nice!  How did you antique the brass?  It looks a lot better than the brass black treatment that I've seen.

Mike - I have been using Birchwood Casey cold blue and sometimes their Super Blue on brass for patina like on this gun.  I then rub it back with grey Scothbrite or #0000 fine steel wool till I get the desired effect.  Sometimes I rub it back a little more than necessary because it will mellow out in a couple of days a bit darker than what it is rubbed back to.  Just experiment to get what you like.  I have tried Alumna Black but it gives a harsher patina, you might get good results with that if you experiment.

I think you’ve been channeling your inner Mike Brooks, Curtiss!  Lots to like there. I need one of those!

Who is this Mike Brooks fellow anyways?  Just funnin' you Mike!  8)  Seriously though Rich, I take that as a compliment!

Very cool fowling piece Curtis!  Your English walnut has just the right amount of interesting figure and grain, and the colour is very pleasing.  I'm impressed by your buttplate:  I like the curve you're given the plate and the engraving.

And I must congratulate you on the stump you used as a backdrop...very complimentary.

Thank you Taylor!  To get the contour of the buttplate I first rasped the butt to the shape I wanted, then inlet and nailed the finial of the annealed plate, started bending it down and hammering it home with a nylon teardrop hammer from Harbor Freight.  It has a blunt point and a rounded end and ony cost a couple of bucks.  It doesn't mar or dent the brass.

As for the stump in the photos - I dragged it to the end of my shooting range with my tractor to use for hanging targets on originally (it is flat on the other side) but now I just use the backside for shooting photos.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2018, 04:57:45 AM »
Beautiful work, and great pictures!  I really like the lines.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline alex e.

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2018, 12:36:27 PM »
Very nicely done!
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2018, 01:49:34 AM »
Very nice piece, Curtis!  Great look, excellent engraving, carving, really nice!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Online B.Barker

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2018, 02:48:54 AM »
I like it.

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2018, 08:31:54 AM »
Really nice work Curtis!

I knew something was hiding there in the works, just wondered what!

Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline RJD-VT

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2018, 05:02:31 AM »
Another nice gun. I realy like what you did with the bone black. Just right. The wood and brass finish also look great.
Someday I gota vist Missouri just to see that famous stump ;D

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2018, 08:03:03 AM »
Thanks guys!  RJT-VT if you find yourself in Missouri give me a holler, we can give the ole' stump a wash and wax!  ;D

The weather was beautiful here today so I ran five 60 cal balls through it to test for proper fire function, it shot nicely five for five!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2018, 12:01:37 PM »
Great looking gun. Wish I had Your engraving skills. Really like the trigger guard.

Best regards
Rolf

Offline snapper

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2018, 04:04:51 PM »
Curtis

As always, you done good.

You know we now expect you to turn out ML's that WOW us and you never fail to deliver.  I have never wanted a trade gun, but I could make room in a gun safe for that one.

Perhaps we will get to see you at Friendship this June?  I will be retired from my Federal job the end of May, hope to have more time to play.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2018, 05:25:01 PM »
My kind of gun Curtis. It's been fun watching your progression overy the years. I remember when you first shared that guard engraving with us.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 05:27:44 PM by James Rogers »

Offline Jerry

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2018, 08:37:42 PM »
Excellent craftsmanship Curtis. I enjoy your ability to create a true work of art. Jerry Rice

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2018, 08:15:07 AM »
Rolf, thanks for the compliment - I am a mediocre engraver at best, but I do feel there is a little improvement with each project I engrave.  If I dedicated more time to practice I would likely improve at a faster pace.  So practice, practice practice!  With your attention to detail I'm certain you could engrave very well.

Snapper - congrats on your pending retirement!  You will enjoy it greatly I'm certain.  Careful what you say, I might just tempt you with the trade gun!

James, if you remember when I posted that trigger guard you have a good idea how long this project has been in the works.  It sat in the corner a looooong time between other projects.

And your kind words are appreciated Jerry!
Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline RockLock92

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2018, 02:25:57 AM »
Now that's a gorgeous trade gun! I've always had a soft spot for the Type G... especially the ones painted blue...

Offline Arcturus

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2018, 01:37:11 AM »
My kind of gun Curtis. It's been fun watching your progression over the years. I remember when you first shared that guard engraving with us.

James, if you remember when I posted that trigger guard you have a good idea how long this project has been in the works.  It sat in the corner a looooong time between other projects.

Curtis

I remember that trigger guard too, but didn't make the connection until James' post jogged my memory!  It was worth the wait, great looking gun!
Jerry