Author Topic: Johnathan Browning Mountain Rifle Percussion Lock Mainspring  (Read 5438 times)

UncleAl

Johnathan Browning Mountain Rifle Percussion Lock Mainspring
« on: November 24, 2018, 08:33:37 PM »
Greetings!  I am hopeful members of this forum will be able to help me locate a replacement mainspring for my Johnathan Browning Mountain Rifle.  This is a percussion lock with the integrated "set trigger" (I think they all had this feature, but not certain).  If anyone has one to sell, or can point me in the right direction, I will be most appreciative.  Thanks in advance, Uncle Al

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Johnathan Browning Mountain Rifle Percussion Lock Mainspring
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 08:49:58 PM »
Is this a coil spring, or a flat spring?

Hungry Horse

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 09:26:35 PM »
That is a curious mainspring.  It is flat without a hook or claw, and has a roller on the end, or perhaps the roller is on the tumbler arm and not the spring - can't remember.  But it is not a standard percussion lock mainspring.  It seems to me that the design is flawed as well, in that the spring really stacks as it comes to full bent, and is soft as the hammer is resting on the nipple.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 09:27:57 PM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

UncleAl

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 01:06:47 AM »
Taylor is correct, but the "roller" is attached to the bridle, not the spring.  I believe the roller is what allows the trigger to be pushed forward after cocking, which then becomes a "set trigger".  I attempted to upload pics with my post, but for some reason they did not display.  I will attempt to do so again.  THANKS for the responses!!https://ibb.co/xLmx5Cw

UncleAl

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 01:11:27 AM »
The add 'image to post' upload is not functioning, or I am not doing something correct....

Offline Gunnermike

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 10:17:56 PM »
You needed to have a space after your exclamation mark in your last sentence, that's all!  Get it?  Mike

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 07:13:39 AM »
Uncle Al,

The Browning website lists a couple of dealers that may have parts for your rifle.

https://www.browning.com/support/parts-service/obsolete-browning-firearms-parts-and-service.html

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

UncleAl

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 02:58:23 PM »
Thank you -- I tried both...no luck there....but I'm still hopeful someone may have one stashed away.  BTW, is it possible to "repair" a spring?  I know nothing of metallurgy, but know that welding/heli-arc, can be used in many applications...

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 08:32:48 PM »
You cannot weld a broken spring, and have it work.  Here's an example of one that my buddy Don bought from someone on this site.  The spring was broken in three pieces and welded back together, then reinstalled.  The seller probably thought, "he'll never notice".  He did.

So I built a new one.  You'll likely have to do the same for your Browning rifle.  It is likely that you can make one from a mainspring for another lock, just by grinding off the hook.  I'm pretty sure I did that to a Browning back in the last century.

D. Taylor Sapergia

UncleAl

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 09:54:55 PM »
Taylor, Thank you for the courtesy of a reply-and the comments about the attempt at repairing a broken spring.  I believe your advice is sage on both counts, as I am not having any luck in finding an original "replacement mainspring".  Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 02:51:13 AM »
All I can say is wow about that welded spring. Good advice. I collect spare parts and can often modify an existing spring to work.
Andover, Vermont

Offline rtp

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 03:12:00 PM »
Hello everyone.  I bought one on E Bay recently from a man that goes by Rambling Historian...you might seek him out.
Roger

mrdirt45

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 08:34:28 PM »
Hi guys. New to the forum today. I have a very nice JB BROWNING percussion in .50 caliber. The rifle looked to be unfired when I purchased it several years ago.It has a perplexing problem. On occasion when using the set trigger the trigger will click but not drop the hammer. I have cleared any possible obstructions around the lock, ensured it was not screwed down too tightly etc.. it will fire all the time without the set trigger being set. In the parts break down there is a very small strut that is supposed to fly up and trip the sear. But I have found it,  by accident, to be magnetized. .I know it is odd but I think it simply may be attaching itself to the sear and just not striking it to trip it.. there is a well known Long  rifle builder here in Prineville Oregon that has looked at it and taken it apart  and polished a couple of items but the problem still lingers. Any thoughts?

• Member 3
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2019, 10:22:47 PM »
The mainspring of the set trigger needs to be adjusted...heavier thrust.  this usually involves simply tightening the machine screw that holds the mainspring to the trigger plate.  A little is a lot...
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline pulaski

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 03:57:01 AM »
UncleAl
I used to have a Browning Mountain rifle . Sold it off .
Kept the 2 replacement mainsprings . Just found them .
Drop me a line .
Steve

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2019, 07:13:49 AM »
WOW- that's fortuitous.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Heyboy

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 06:58:33 AM »
Hello,
 I’m very new to forums and to black powder shooting but own a 45 cal browning mountain rifle. I would like to find any spare parts for it especially a mainspring.

Thanks

Shane

Offline rsells

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2019, 07:55:55 AM »
If I am not mistaken there are some main springs and sear  springs for sale on Ebay if no one has purchased the under black powder parts.
                                                                        Roger Sells

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2019, 04:24:26 PM »
You cannot weld a broken spring, and have it work.  Here's an example of one that my buddy Don bought from someone on this site.  The spring was broken in three pieces and welded back together, then reinstalled.  The seller probably thought, "he'll never notice".  He did.

So I built a new one.  You'll likely have to do the same for your Browning rifle.  It is likely that you can make one from a mainspring for another lock, just by grinding off the hook.  I'm pretty sure I did that to a Browning back in the last century.

Grrrr that looks like some of my finer welding ;D
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!