Author Topic: How well do ramrod puller work?  (Read 3687 times)

Offline lost arrow 801

How well do ramrod puller work?
« on: November 26, 2018, 03:39:38 AM »
I have a stuck ball in a cva .50 cal double rifle. I used the tip with the screw head I got it in the ball but I can't pull it out. There are no breech plugs so I cannot push it through. I was wondering  how well these work. https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/119/1/RAMROD-PULL

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
Re: How well do ramrod puller work?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 03:45:47 AM »
It probably works but it’s out of stock.  I use a range rod.   Before I had a range rod,  I’d screw in one extension of a cleaning rod so I had a better grip on the ram rod.  Once you get it moving,  it should pull right out.  Im sure the experience and experts on here will save you the $20. 

Offline bgf

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 03:54:59 AM »
You need to put something on ramrod that you can secure to a solid object.  Sometimes just a rawhide thong looped around ramrod and tied to tree branch will work.  Most ranges have a post with a slotted angle iron to catch the knob or T on a range rod.  I have in emergency used vice grips on ramrod for handle, but it will mar the ramrod at best and maybe worse.

PS, pour some lube down barrel and let it soak patch to let it come out easier.  If you can remove cleanout screw, you might be able to put enough powder behind ball to shoot it out...after removing ramrod of course!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 03:58:06 AM by bgf »

Offline Gun_Nut_73

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 08:14:53 AM »
I keep a Garand cleaning rod with a few extra sections in my range box.  I have a screw in one section to use as a ball puller.  The "T" handle makes all the difference in getting the ball out.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 02:47:38 PM »
CO2?  One of our guys on the trail walks I go on has one and it has worked every time.  I bought one at Dixons where the threaded female part that did not match the unthreaded male  capsule-end issue had been resolved and parked it in my shooting box.  Have not had a ball stuck since.  So... I parked the snow blower in the front end of the garage...Hhmmm....

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 04:23:04 PM »
Pour a little soapy water down the barrel, let it soak a minute and it should pull right out....

Regards
Frank Barker

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 04:44:20 PM »
If the ball is really stuck tight I have also poured a little lube into the barrel and let it sit for a few minutes.  Depending on the caliber, ball size, the screw will sometimes expand the ball tighter into the bore.
Mark
Mark

rfd

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 05:38:56 PM »
i make ramrods with a brass ferrule at either end.  one ferrule gets a small 1/8" to 3/16" hole drilled in its side.  this is for inserting a nail or drill bit that gets a loop of 'chute cord 'round it that also goes 'round a solid object (tree limb, etc) whilst the ball worm bites well into the dry ball for the pull.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 05:46:38 PM »
I have one of those ramrod pullers, it works every time, even on really stuck balls.

Here is why I bought one;

I was hunting one morning up in treestand, the bucks were going crazy, chasing does all around me, often within range but they were grunting and chasing at full speed when they passed my stand.

I was hunting with a rifle a dying friend had given me, he had used the rifle in competition a lot and had the set trigger set so light one only had to touch the side of it to make it go off. I was determined to leave everything on the rifle just like it was when he gifted it to me so I hadn't adjusted the trigger. The rifle has a Roller lock and Bill Large barrel, tack driver.

Later in the morning the 8 point that had done the bulk of the chasing came sauntering down the ridge toward me, completely out of his mind with lust, eyes rolling and slobbering while swinging his head side to side.

He stopped broadside in front of me at 8 yards, as I lowered my gun on him my cold finger touched the side of the trigger without my knowledge, BOOM, right over his back.

He was so lust crazed he didn't even react, he turned, walked about 15 yards away and started horning a bush while I frantically reloaded. In with the powder, in with the patch strip and ball and a smack with the long end of a ball starter. I pushed the ball too far down the barrel and had about an extra inch of tag ends on my patch when I cut it. The buck is still working over the bush.

I ram everything home and try to pull my ramrod out, the extra patching has it stuck tightly. The buck is still working over the bush.

I twist, I pull,  I even think about shooting my ramrod at the buck. Nothing will get the ramrod unstuck. The buck is still working over the bush.

I finally feel the ramrod start to move, the buck starts easing toward a pine thicket still oblivious to my presence. I finally get the ramrod out but it pulls the ball out as well. I reload another ball correctly, prime and raise my gun to the buck. He is now about 30 yards away and offering only a Texas heart shot, I let him walk away, dang.

I now have a super duper rod puller in my bag, I have used it when I dry balled but have never had to use it in a hunting situation again, I learned my lesson about short starting a ball.

I went home and adjusted the trigger on my gun to the point you actually have to pull it, a little.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 05:57:52 PM by Eric Krewson »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 06:24:45 AM »
Another trick is to use a length of leather thong. Wrap it tightly around the rod tip sticking out of the barrel. Get someone to hold the rifle with 2 hands, while you grasp the thong-wrapped muzzle with the thong ends in your palms. This will allow you both hands as well.

Have at it.  Also - if the rod tip is brass, you can grip it with a pair of pliars end-on with the pliar jaws pointing at the muzzle, not sideways. The step between the rounded teeth and the flat front will grip the brass.

If no brass tip, use the suggestions about soap, or oil, and get help.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline StevenV

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 01:49:51 AM »

. .I have used this attached to a range rod (metal / T handle) to pull balls and it has never let me down. We do not shoot off at the end of hunting for the day, always pull ball remelt.  StevenV

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2018, 02:51:30 PM »
Well used ramrod from my .62 rifle. Awl or nail in hole gives some grip to pull ball or tight patch etc.,.

inspirational quotes robert greene
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2018, 05:51:09 PM »
The best way to get a stuck ramrod out is to not get it stuck to begin with.

I prevent stuck ramrods by using pinned brass fitting on the ramrod. Anytime i'm swabbing a bore I screw on a wooden ball to give me a good grip pushing and pulling. The minute I feel the rod bogging down I pull it right out and use more spit on the patch.

The ball is easy to make but you can also buy them and they're cheap.

http://www.octobercountry.com/msm-palm-saver/

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 02:38:38 AM »
To the OP's question..... is this a percussion double ?

If so, remove the nipple and work some 4ffffg powder in to the barrel or chamber checking as you go. 

Re cap and shoot the ball out into the ground......  I must say I did not know CVA made a double that did not have breech plugs.....

Just a thought. 
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Turtle

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2018, 04:51:36 PM »
 I do just what rdf does with a hole in ramrod, rod through hole  and chute cord. I also drill a 1/8 in hole in all my flint clamping screws and the 1/8 in rod does double duty tightening that. One problem that you may be able to help with-when on a primitive woods walk where they check your bag contents, the chute cord is not period correct. I haven't found anything primitive that is strong enough. Ideas??

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2018, 05:00:39 PM »
One problem that you may be able to help with-when on a primitive woods walk where they check your bag contents, the chute cord is not period correct. I haven't found anything primitive that is strong enough. Ideas??

I’ve made primitive cordage of various materials to test and use as bowstrings. Flax and hemp twine are your best bets among commercial stuff. Yucca, nettles, and dogbane cordage can work with lots of practice making cordage. 
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2018, 05:10:49 PM »
To the OP's question..... is this a percussion double ?

If so, remove the nipple and work some 4ffffg powder in to the barrel or chamber checking as you go. 

Re cap and shoot the ball out into the ground......  I must say I did not know CVA made a double that did not have breech plugs.....

Just a thought.

That's what I would do first. I've done it with flint and cap guns. The best way is to just load them correctly and avoid the problem all together...of course that is easier said than done! :P
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2018, 11:14:50 PM »
A cam cleat that one might find on a sailboat might be a useful item to mount overhead somewhere. 

Something akin to... https://www.atlanticriggingsupply.com/scmefacamcl.html
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2018, 06:06:56 AM »
At the start of our trail walk through the bush, at the first pistol target and tie-breaker/fouling shot board, is a tree (many, actually lol) behind the firing line. On the back side of that tree, are 2 screws set part way in. Hanging form those two screws is the T handle attached to a 48" long 5/16" (might be 1/4") stainless steel rod.  The end of the rod is threaded to accept ball drills and ball pulling screws.  These are inside a yellow plastic Speer bullet box as it is water proof.  There are drills and ball puling screws for all calibres from .32 to 62. 

Screwed into the tree, are a couple hooks to hold the T-handle, so that if someone needs pull a ball, they simply walk back to the start of the course, and pull the ball - piece of cake.

It's one of those. ;D ;D ;D

Daryl

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2018, 06:35:52 AM »
One problem that you may be able to help with-when on a primitive woods walk where they check your bag contents, the chute cord is not period correct. I haven't found anything primitive that is strong enough. Ideas??

I’ve made primitive cordage of various materials to test and use as bowstrings. Flax and hemp twine are your best bets among commercial stuff. Yucca, nettles, and dogbane cordage can work with lots of practice making cordage.

I never made any cordage from one, but I believe Yucca would make some dern fine cord...

I had some in my yard. The fibers in the leaves were so strong I couldn't tear one in two unless it was extremely old and desiccated... And the points on the ends of the leaves (firsthand experience) would pierce a leather glove.

Yucca is tough stuff and had many uses to the natives.

Mike

Offline Daryl

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2018, 03:52:30 AM »
I do just what rdf does with a hole in ramrod, rod through hole  and chute cord. I also drill a 1/8 in hole in all my flint clamping screws and the 1/8 in rod does double duty tightening that. One problem that you may be able to help with-when on a primitive woods walk where they check your bag contents, the chute cord is not period correct. I haven't found anything primitive that is strong enough. Ideas??

chute - sry - not familiar with it, but Jute cord, yes- home hardward has it for tying up tomatoe stakes. It usually don't last more than season and isn't very strong.
Daryl

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2018, 05:45:37 AM »
Daryl,

' chute cord is parachute cord... 550 paracord.

Not exactly period correct. But I can attest that it makes some great cordage. And great boot laces. Laces made from 550 paracord will outlast the boots.

Good trotlines too.

Mike