Author Topic: Martin Sheetz updated with more photo's  (Read 2848 times)

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Martin Sheetz updated with more photo's
« on: November 28, 2018, 07:07:19 PM »
I recently had an opportunity to build a rifle for a member the the Sheetz family. Wendell Lewis was kind enough to lend me this Martin Sheetz rifle for me to study and use some of the design details on the rifle I was building. It is a grand rifle and a great honor for me to have this rifle in my shop. I delivered the rifle I built to the Sheetz family over the Thanksgiving Holiday and sadly will be returning the Martin Sheetz to Wendell at the Princeton show in February. I had Ric Lambert photograph both rifles, my rifle is posted over on the contemporary board and the Martin Sheetz I am posting here. I hope you enjoy the photo's.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 08:54:05 PM by bama »
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Carl Young

Re: Martin Sheetz
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 07:26:06 PM »
Thanks for sharing Jim.
Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline ScottH

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 10:42:29 PM »
What is the barrel length on this fine flintlock?

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 10:57:59 PM »
The barrel is currently 45" long and has been set back about 2", it is approx. 50 caliber.
Jim Parker

Offline VP

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 03:31:13 AM »
Jim,

Could you post photos of the tang carving and toe plate?  Appreciate it.

VP

Online Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 04:32:22 AM »
Thanks for sharing the photos.  Love that rifle. 

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 10:37:11 AM »
Great photos, thank you for sharing!
Kind regards from Germany, Chris

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 11:36:19 PM »
 Great pix indeed. Every time I see one this nice I wonder about a few things; How long did it take to build, how much work was done by an apprentice or journeyman and where did the parts come form. Even if he made all of it where did the raw material, Brass, sheet for pipes, side plate, nose cap, etc... and the cast parts, along with the iron for triggers/screw/bolts an such.

Tim 

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 05:31:08 AM »
This rifle is a fine example of the Virginia gunsmith trade at the turn of the century and an example of how nothing was wasted. Take a closer look at the edge of the butt to plate on the cheek piece side. You will see that the butt plate did not fully cast but was used any way. Something that would be frowned upon today.
Jim Parker

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 08:52:18 PM »
Here are a few shots of the tang carving one of you asked to see. This rifle and photo's are being considered for the Library so hopefully we can share it there.

Jim Parker

Offline VP

Re: Martin Sheetz updated with more photo's
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 03:50:21 AM »
Jim,

Thanks for the extra photos. I do like that rifle.

VP

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 09:16:15 AM »
That is one nice specimen of a rifle!  Thanks for the photos Jim.  That may have to go on the "to build" list.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 03:29:43 AM »
Jim, that is outstanding workmanship!  And I really like the appearance of the tang and comb "carving".  Being new to flintlocks, I am learning a ton of information while attempting to build a Lehigh County rifle.

Would that be "incised carving" at it's best?  It is certainly remarkable, and very attractive to my eyes.  Can you tell me how the shading and all were done?  From the gloss of the finish, the carving appears to almost be painted on.

Running into a bit of difficult on my rifle.  Apparently the damage to my spine is increasing, and causing a big loss of feeling in the fingers of my right hand.  I can no longer feel if they are cold or hot, or how much pressure I am using in those fingers.  It has just occurred over the past day or two, but lucky for me, I already scheduled an appointment with the neurosurgeon that the VA has recommended.  I think we were going to talk about fixing the lumbar spine, but now I am going to see about the cervical.  Dang!  I keep falling apart!  I believe that Agent Orange is claiming another victim. (Typing is getting way more difficult also, keep having to go back and correct things)

At any rate, I really like the tang and comb on your Sheetz rifle, and would like to be able to do similar things. - - - - Many thanks!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.