Author Topic: HC but not PC new bag/ What's in my bag?  (Read 2267 times)

Steve Patterson

HC but not PC new bag/ What's in my bag?
« on: November 28, 2018, 08:47:41 PM »
I've sure seen some beautiful craftsmanship and period correct stuff on this site......
But this isn't one of them. Still I thought some of you would be interested. I say this is HC in that everything here is either repurposed from what was in the house already or given to me by family or both except the primer, flint, and turnscrew. My wife and I joke about "you know how I  know you were raised by people who were raised by people who grew up in the great depression?".
 The bag is the top 8" off of an old pair of my 16" whites fire boots that can't be rebuilt anymore with an extra used belt out of my closet. My Dad made the horn, gave me the rifle and rod tools. The pocket knife is one I inherited from Dad's Dad. I made the charger. I inherited the blanket pin from my wife's Mom's Dad.

I'm just starting out and I'm sure I'll keep tinkering and making some better stuff where needed or wanted, but this does me well for a walk in the woods for now. First things to make are a hammer stall and cow's knee. Thanks for looking and thanks for posting all of your stuff so I have ideas where to go from here.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: HC but not PC new bag/ What's in my bag?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 11:35:48 PM »
Not a bad kit at all!
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 03:14:23 AM »
Using what you have...I understand completely, because I was raised by someone who was raised during the Depression!  I don’t think I can remember my dad EVER throwing anything away...

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 04:46:07 AM »
Best part of this is----when you have been using these tools for many years, you will find you don't really need anything to replace or upgrade them.They are now your friends,and fit your hands nicely.
Ask me how I know,I would be pleased to tell ya !!I have a lifetime of these treasures.
Mighty fine lookin kit,for sure. Best regards, Dave f on the Mountain 8) 8)

sespe

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 05:22:29 AM »
But, but,  White's can always be repaired! 

That reminds me, time for new soles again.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 08:35:59 PM »
While going through a bunch of stuff my grandmother left us after her death, I found a pair of small child’s old fashioned brogans, that were obviously hand made. I asked an older cousin if she knew anything about them. She told me my grandad was a blaster in the mines in Missouri, and Arkansas, in the early 1920’s. The company bought his boots for him. They were almost knee high. So, he cut them off to Lil’ Abner height, and made a pair of shoes for my cousin for  winter. So what you did was pretty common practice years ago.

Hungry Horse

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 06:14:18 AM »
I remember something from a TV show or movie about cowboys or similar... Anyway someone had cut the tops off of old boots and made pouches that hung on the saddle for carrying extra ammo.

Anybody else remember?

Mike

Dave Patterson

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 08:27:12 AM »
I remember something from a TV show or movie about cowboys or similar... Anyway someone had cut the tops off of old boots and made pouches that hung on the saddle for carrying extra ammo.

Anybody else remember?

Mike

I don't remember the show you describe, and have never seen anyone use an old boot top for packin' ammo, but have seen a whole flock of guys (including me) who've repurposed an old boot top for packin' cowboying gear:  doctoring & vaccinating gear, meds, and vaccines; fence pliers, staples, and a little wad of smooth wire for fixing fence or putting up water gaps; ear-tag pliers, tags, marker, vitamins, and a couple syringes; etc.  Boot tops work well for that sort of thing:  big enough to pack just what you need and no more; stiff enough not to flop around and get in your way when your handling a critter on the end of a rope; stout enough to last awhile; and if they've got a couple finger-holes (to pull your boots on with), real easy to tie on your saddle and tie shut. 

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 07:46:20 PM »
Dave, sounds like you and I were in the same line of work for a while.  My Uncle was a DVM in eastern Oklahoma, and several times I made "totes" out of old boots, carried the same things you did.  Flash forward a decade or so - my kids were totally awed when I would ride the horses with nothing but a halter and lead rope on them - or grab the head of a nasty Brahman bull and put him on his back.  Fool bull never messed with me again!
Doc collected old medical stuff, had an early copper syringe from 1810 or so.
Even today, I hate to toss out anything that may become useful at some future time.  My kids, grandkids, and great grandkids will have some work to do when I finally pack it in.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline msellers

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 08:23:53 PM »

Anybody else remember?

Mike

I don't remember the show you describe, and have never seen anyone use an old boot top for packin' ammo, but have seen a whole flock of guys (including me) who've repurposed an old boot top for packin' cowboying gear:  doctoring & vaccinating gear, meds, and vaccines; fence pliers, staples, and a little wad of smooth wire for fixing fence or putting up water gaps; ear-tag pliers, tags, marker, vitamins, and a couple syringes; etc.  Boot tops work well for that sort of thing:  big enough to pack just what you need and no more; stiff enough not to flop around and get in your way when your handling a critter on the end of a rope; stout enough to last awhile; and if they've got a couple finger-holes (to pull your boots on with), real easy to tie on your saddle and tie shut.
My first ammo pouch for shooting squirrels, was made from an old boot top. Dad got tired of me dropping everything out of my pocket digging for ammunition, i was probably 5 or 6 at the time. Have a holster my great uncle made, and a knife sheath my grandmother laced up from grandpas old work boots for her skinning knife. They both had to have been made in the 40s sometime.
Mike

Fred Hembree

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 04:09:21 PM »
Good looking possibles gear, Steve. Kudos to you!

Offline trentOH

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 05:38:14 AM »
I'm glad to see someone else also carries a big old safety pin with them. I don't use it for much though, do you use it?

Steve Patterson

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 06:48:17 AM »
Those safety pins come in handy here and there if you're watching for a chance: Blanket to cloak. Small game holder. Awl for light material. Pulling big splinters.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 12:49:19 AM by Steve Patterson »

Steve Patterson

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 09:49:17 AM »
But, but,  White's can always be repaired! 

That reminds me, time for new soles again.

That's what I thought too until it got to where there was nothing to stitch to but old stitch holes  :)