Author Topic: 2F Vs 3F Quiz  (Read 2712 times)

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
Re: 2F Vs 3F Quiz
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2018, 07:42:08 PM »
Recoil is never a concern when I make up a hunting load. My goal is to get a pass through on the game i'm hunting. This takes some experimenting shooting game. I have found that too much powder with a soft round ball will expand too fast and not penetrate as well as a lighter load. I want to hit the game as hard as I can while having the ball pass through.

Length of barrel, caplock or flint and brand of powder all come into developing the load. Using more powder than I need makes no sense to me.

One thing I do need discipline in is the distance. I have a window I need to stay in. Too far or even too close and the ball will act differently. I almost always set my max distance at 60-70yds. Never under 35yds. As a still hunter I can set the shot the way I want it. Being at the right distance, playing the wind, and not being seen is part of the challenge of still hunting. I love it.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2018, 10:27:17 PM »
This is just speculation on my part but I'm seldom far off the mark with my speculations.
I believe it was Sir Isacc Newton (just a guess) who devised an experiment to find MV and recoil by hanging a firearm horizontally so it was free swinging. Then the gun was fired and the movement was measured.
So taking a rifle and hanging it like that, fired with both 2fg and 3fg loads of similar volume, I think the 2fg load will cause the rifle to swing further. Because either it's generating more actual recoil, or because as has been noted it has a slower, harder push.
I have shot a lot of both through the years and I've been punished more by 2fg. I agree the 3fg has a sharper push but it's over quickly with no follow through.
And another point I think many are overlooking concerning felt recoil is that some rifles just kick more than others regardless of granulation.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2018, 11:55:31 PM »
That light load does a pass through on elk and knocks muleys off their feet.

Why would I need a heavier load? It's easy on patches, the gun, and my old bones. Plus, I get more loads per pound of powder. I can't come up with any negatives.

I see and acknowledge your point, Pete. 

At this time, for me, they are light and not what my guns like.

I kinda still like to use 140 to 165gr. 2f in my .69. Those loads are more accurate at the outer ranges I am likely to have to shoot up here

due to the logging slashes and across pond shots oft made. At times, ranges are within 50yards,  but one must be prepared for the longer

shots sometimes required.  That is why my rifle has 3 rear sights and I carry a laser range finder - as well as practicing at those longer ranges.

Many of us have different requirements and must adapt to the circumstances & hunting situations presented to us.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2018, 01:09:35 AM »
A .69 is a big ball and needs a lot of powder. What do you use in your .54?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2018, 02:56:38 AM »
I have a .50, although I haven't worked up a hunting load for it - yet with grease or oiled patch.

I have worked up loads for other guy's .54's- back in the 70's and 1 in the 80's.  Those are used

in the same areas I hunt & 120gr. 2f worked just fine with a 10oz. denim patch and .535" ball.

In the 70's I did not know about Track's mink oil or neetsfoot oil, so we had a definite problem with

an oil for cold weather hunting.  I tried baby oil and vegetable cooling oils with less than stellar success.

By the 80's, I was using the totw Mink Oil with success.  I see the local Princess Auto has mink oil. It smells as

if it might have petroleum in it, but that is not on the ingredients list, so I may try it.

The greater powder charges give much flatter trajectories - pbr of  out to 125 yards (if sighted correctly), where centre hold is taken.

The .58's I played with having 48" twists (English Enfields) shot best with 85gr. 2F and .575" balls. The 72" Zouave I had, liked 140gr. as-did

my 66" twist Bill Large bl. on my first 'real' Hawken replica.

Not much recoil compared to the .69.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2018, 05:45:16 PM »
Those are some stout loads. I guess I use lighter loads because my vision won't let me shoot very far and I love hunting the dark timber that doesn't me take long shots either.

I use just enough powder to get the job done. Of course being an old @$#% comes into it too.